alexandrine - molting period

joey123

Oct 23, 2014
Slovenia, Europe
Parrots
alexandrine
hello! my alexandrine is currently going through her third molting period(appx. for 1 month). her behavior is appropriate to the situation (she is acting very offensive, not as social as usually, territorial.. etc). she's scratching, preening for the most of the time. she has already lost quite a few feathers, however pins of new growing feathers are already visible. Yesterday I saw an extremely tattered feather (longer flying feather), which is unusually different from her other feathers. It's clearly evident, that she has damaged it by herself.
Now I'm not sure if I should be worried about it - I somehow assume that she has done that because of the itch and annoyance and that the feather should be falling out and she tried to stimulate the whole process and the result is a tattered feather, that still hasn't fallen out..
I would appreciate any advice/help/opinion/experience!
thanx! :rainbow1:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
When my Alex, Xander, moults we quite often find some really tattered feathers, including an occasional tail feather. It sounds normal at this point, but it never hurts to monitor in case things change:)

Most Reactions