allergies

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Thinking of you, Jeff, AND sweet Sadie. Please keep us posted, would you?? :heart: Fingers are crossed super tight!!!!

OP
J

jeffisme

Jan 28, 2016
thanks. waiting on test results now. funny thing was they don't have specific test serum for parrots here in portland. different regions have different serums. for instance, she said, they had a test serum of cockatoos in green bay where the tech previously worked. so the test will be for feathers. if that's positive, we'll go from there. I asked her if they trade serums based on need. I'll give you a pine tree for a parrot, but, no.

OP
J

jeffisme

Jan 28, 2016
here she is in the meantime, as we both enjoy a good scritch

Attachments

• Image 4-10-16 at 12.51 PM.jpg
    Image 4-10-16 at 12.51 PM.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 155

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
Besutiful pic and she is really enjoying that scritch ...I hope all works out well for you

OP
J

jeffisme

Jan 28, 2016
I called them yesterday and they said they were still processing the tests. Unfortunately, based on the way I've been reacting, I'm not so hopeful. I'm assuming the tests will be positive, the question will be about the severity of my reaction and the long term impact of being exposed while taking medication.

She is such a wonderful bird, if do have to find another home for her, it will be difficult because I won't let her go to just any place, and I know especially here, there are more birds around than there are people who want them. The avian vet was hopeful though. Thanks for asking. Pins and needles here too.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Well 'doo-doo'!!!! :(

Let's try and hope for the best until you know for sure, ok? And then I want to remain hopeful that perhaps your doc can give you some meds that'll work and have minimal side effects! :)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Also hoping for positive results!

FYI: I am sure you have considered this; but if not, an office in the basement is not the best location for you. In fact, if you have a two-story home, your office belongs on the highest floor in the home, as should your bedroom.

OP
J

jeffisme

Jan 28, 2016
yeah, much appreciated, but there are other reasons for the set up and on balance it works very well.

Allicastery

Apr 3, 2016
Media
South Florida
Parrots
Peppy- male fancy gray tiel.
Baby YCA (unamed)
Ace-the place with the helpful hardware folks (male CAG) Bellini- male peachfaced lovie
Bit of a late reply..when I was around 11 I got allergy tested and it turned up birch trees, cats mold and of course ALL feathers. I got allergy shots for 4 years. Of course since I was allergic to cats I got 3 and since I'm allergic to birds of course now I need three. Oddly enough I rarely ever get bad allergies and my lungs are alright most of the time, even with my asthma.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I took allergy shots for 2 years 3 times a week. the shots felt like the Dr./nurse was injecting me with gasoline and lighting it on fire. In the end... I still have allergies.
I truly wish you luck, maybe the state of the art has improved since the 70s.
texsize

OP
J

jeffisme

Jan 28, 2016
Well, as we suspected I am asthmatic and at the same time I had such a reaction to the allergy tests that they had to be halted and the doctor called in. There was lots of conversation with the doctor and nurse about what we could do, but it's all too risky.

We love Sadie, but we just can't keep her. I'll post something in the rehoming section, but if anyone knows of a bird lover in the Portland, OR. area who might be interested in a special bird, please IM me here.

gracebowen

Jan 14, 2015
San Antonio
Parrots
Cora lovebird
Sky parakeet
Shoot. Im im the same boat so I can empathize. I cant keep mine either.

Im keeping one anyway. I had 4 tiels down to 2 now. Im pretty sure ill be ok with one.

I hope you find a great home that will send you updates from time to time.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Damn, Jeff. I am truly so sorry! :(

I honestly feel for you. Health before anything! I wish you the best - always! And I know you'll find a good home for your baby!

Most Reactions