Allison & Parker

OP
OutlawedSpirit

OutlawedSpirit

Apr 12, 2016
Northern Illinois, USA
Parrots
Bo - DYH ~ Gus - CAG ~ Twitch - Linnie ~ Apple - Pineapple GCC ~ Goliath - Quaker ~ Squish - Peach face Lovebird
We did have number 6 hatch! So the full clutch hatched and so far mom and dad seem to be keeping up with all the babies so they will all stay with them for now. I will start pulling the oldest couple babies at this point if either mom and dad cannot keep up with feeding all 6 babies, or if it seems to be putting too much strain on them.

I was pretty excited this morning. While I was handing out everyone's breakfast, mom actually came out of the nest box and stayed out while I opened the lid and peeked in on the babies. Then she went back in when I was done. Hopefully she is starting to understand the routine and that I am not going to hurt her little ones, because it is much less stressful for all of us if she is willing to just step out for a moment instead of me having to chase her out to check and make sure everyone is okay.

OP
OutlawedSpirit

OutlawedSpirit

Apr 12, 2016
Northern Illinois, USA
Parrots
Bo - DYH ~ Gus - CAG ~ Twitch - Linnie ~ Apple - Pineapple GCC ~ Goliath - Quaker ~ Squish - Peach face Lovebird
I pulled the oldest and youngest from the nest for a quick peek yesterday just to make sure everyone is being fed well, which they are. I have such good parents. Anyway, I snapped a picture of the oldest and youngest side by side I thought you might all appreciate. The oldest is 10 days old and the youngest is 2 days old.

b6a7ab09c91603abaf8eef6903b9ec42.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

OP
OutlawedSpirit

OutlawedSpirit

Apr 12, 2016
Northern Illinois, USA
Parrots
So the two oldest have already left. I generally don't sell babies before they are weaned, but the two oldest went to a friend of mine who is a very experienced breeder, so I know she is able to properly handfeed them. I would not let them go before weaned to someone I did not know was experienced enough to properly care for them and especially not to someone I did not know at all.

Now that that is out of the way, I pulled the other four out of the nest today to start hand feeding. The oldest is 18 days old and the youngest is 11 days old. I have a picture from today of all of them in the bowl I used to transfer them from nest to brooder, and then a picture of just the oldest to show how far along he's feathered out so far. I do know the oldest is going to be a green. He has one tiny tail feather just barely starting to poke out of the tip of the sheath, but it's enough to see that it is green. I just love when colors start to show!

a21ccce70bd762df3799ea01096f6fe2.jpg

cae46789fc61dfd3a0a20823482345c4.jpg

I will say that with the next clutch, I think I will pull the older babies a little earlier. They are being much more stubborn than the younger two about accepting a hand feeding. I know they'll accept it fine in another feeding or two, but it still stresses me out until they do. The youngest baby gave me a perfect feeding response the first time. I wish they were all that cooperative.

OP
OutlawedSpirit

OutlawedSpirit

Apr 12, 2016
Northern Illinois, USA
Parrots
ad18d958daa122d00e96fc8985a73537.jpg

a6180720f9ca9821f813ee610450bbfa.jpg

95eb7a4c05c1b8780b9e623ed60790c0.jpg

8d7bb62a93b50e8cb89eddd4d4337e25.jpg

Only the baby is brave enough to check out the scary evil millet.

eadd02a0955517024835debc210027f7.jpg

Most Reactions