Am cuddles

Luckyandjenn

Jul 25, 2016
Media
Albums
San deigo ca
Parrots
Lucky
Man o man how i love this guy thoe at the same time i kinda whish i had gotten him as a baby

Attachments

• 20170402_074453.jpg
    20170402_074453.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 162

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Ooops, wrong Forum, should be over in the MAC Forum.

PM one of the Super Moderators to chance it for you!

Us Amazon member can get a bit Snobbish you know! :D

If you follow the directions of Birdman666, you will never say that again!

Search the MAC Forum and read everything that Birdman666 created in a Thread or added as a Post!

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Such a darling photo of you and your gorgeous friend. I've had only one of my six parrots since he was a small chick, the others came to me as adults, my cockatoo was about eleven years. My little Quaker that I finished weaning is a sweetheart but the bonds I have with the others are just as strong. Every journey is unique, it looks like the two of you are headed down the right path. Thanks for sharing your sweet photo.

*Sailboat I'm sure the location of the post was accidental and not intended as an affront to Amazon owners. We are all part of the same friendly flock, no harm in visiting. :)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Such a darling photo of you and your gorgeous friend. I've had only one of my six parrots since he was a small chick, the others came to me as adults, my cockatoo was about eleven years. My little Quaker that I finished weaning is a sweetheart but the bonds I have with the others are just as strong. Every journey is unique, it looks like the two of you are headed down the right path. Thanks for sharing your sweet photo.

*Sailboat I'm sure the location of the post was accidental and not intended as an affront to Amazon owners. We are all part of the same friendly flock, no harm in visiting. :)

Just my poor attempt at Humor! Never was any affront to Amazon Owners, clearly an error.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Awww, what an adorable picture!

OP
Luckyandjenn

Luckyandjenn

Jul 25, 2016
Media
Albums
San deigo ca
Parrots
Lucky
Ooops, wrong Forum, should be over in the MAC Forum.

PM one of the Super Moderators to chance it for you!

Us Amazon member can get a bit Snobbish you know! :D

If you follow the directions of Birdman666, you will never say that again!

Search the MAC Forum and read everything that Birdman666 created in a Thread or added as a Post!

Gawwwwww dam tablet i swear sometimes i click the macaw link for the mac page. And my dam tablet think i clicked on somthing els lol and yes ive read a bunch of Birdman666 post lol
And don't ya know all us crazy bird people can get snobbish at one time or another lmao

OP
Luckyandjenn

Luckyandjenn

Jul 25, 2016
Media
Albums
San deigo ca
Parrots
Lucky

Thank you Ya know its nuts at times i whis i had the chance to do all the baby stuff with him teaching him to play and fly and all that stuff but at the same time it amazes me that i got him at 16 ive had him only at mosy sevn months and now im learing how he likes to play and such i sure did have to work for your bond he was very nasty with me the fire 2 or 3 mounths i had him lol but now im his fave person i sure do love him and will do whetever it takes to keep him happy and healthy

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon

Gawwwwww dam tablet i swear sometimes i click the macaw link for the mac page. And my dam tablet think i clicked on somthing els lol and yes ive read a bunch of Birdman666 post lol
And don't ya know all us crazy bird people can get snobbish at one time or another lmao

Fully understand, I have had like problems and that is why Parrot Forums runs so very well. Our Super Moderators can fix things like this so quickly.

And, a big 'Thank-You' regarding 'us' crazy bird people. My biggest problem is my dry Humor. :D Thanks for catching it!

All that said, you did touch on a very important point regarding the perceived /known different between starting with a baby or rehoming. I have never had the opportunity to begin with a Baby. But, I have a long history with Amazons that had been left behind and when they came to me, had no want to be around or ever trust a Human again. What keeps me coming back is that moment, when they want to be around, and then want to trust and especially that moment when not only do they know they are Loved, but Love in return! That is so worth all the other non-prefect moments! When Loved by a Rehomed Parrot, you can feel the depth! At that point, nothing else matters.

FYI: My MAC friends get a big kick out of turning me into a MAC tree when we get together!

Last edited:
OP
Luckyandjenn

Luckyandjenn

Jul 25, 2016
Media
Albums
San deigo ca
Parrots
Lucky

Fully understand, I have had like problems and that is why Parrot Forums runs so very well. Our Super Moderators can fix things like this so quickly.

And, a big 'Thank-You' regarding 'us' crazy bird people. My biggest problem is my dry Humor. :D Thanks for catching it!

All that said, you did touch on a very important point regarding the perceived /known different between starting with a baby or rehoming. I have never had the opportunity to begin with a Baby. But, I have a long history with Amazons that had been left behind and when they came to me, had no want to be around or ever trust a Human again. What keeps me coming back is that moment, when they want to be around, and then want to trust and especially that moment when not only do they know they are Loved, but Love in return! That is so worth all the other non-prefect moments! When Loved by a Rehomed Parrot, you can feel the depth! At that point, nothing else matters.

FYI: My MAC friends get a big kick out of turning me into a MAC tree when we get together!

I have a dry sense of humor at times lolz (so that was not hard to catch) and yes the whole having a bidy as a baby vs one as a rescue or a rehome thoe i yern for the stuff i missed out on its fun see how lucky is opening up and showing his true self hes starting to show me how he plays its a bit beaky for me not sure on how to show him how to play proper but he now lets me play with his feets and he dances with me and stuff he makes weird noises and sounds with me and hes been more cuddly as well which is nice its alot of work but its well well worth it

I wish i had more friends with birds id love to be a bird tree lol i bet that is somthing to see

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The longer you have Parrots and the more open you are about it, the more Parrot People you will know!

Complete a Web Search for Parrot Groups in your area. They are out there and areas of larger populations tend to be more likely to have an active group. Join and enjoy.

Please remember to keep working at Socializing your MAC. Any person that both of you seem comfortable with should get a chance to have a MAC on their arm. Take great care that the Human and Parrot are both comfortable. A well socialized Parrot is willing to go to and be around Humans that they are comfortable with.

Have Fun!

"I have a dry sense of humor at times lolz (so that was not hard to catch) and yes the whole having a bidy as a baby vs one as a rescue or a rehome thoe i yern for the stuff i missed out on its fun see how lucky is opening up and showing his true self hes starting to show me how he plays its a bit beaky for me not sure on how to show him how to play proper but he now lets me play with his feets and he dances with me and stuff he makes weird noises and sounds with me and hes been more cuddly as well which is nice its alot of work but its well well worth it

I wish i had more friends with birds id love to be a bird tree lol i bet that is somthing to see."

SilleIN

Aug 18, 2016
Denmark
Parrots
Lots of parrots, most of them rescues
I got Sugar when he was 13 years and I would not trade my bond or journey with him for even a minute of baby time. He is so special to me and the understanding we have is just priceless. He may not be a baby, but we work so well together, that I don't think I could have come to that point without us having the "strugles" of going through a retaming process.

Sugar would attack anything coming even remotely close to his cage.

Today we go on film sets and work proffessionally together and every film set we have been on, they always are astonished how much filming they can do, compared to human actors.

The time before last, the director at cut said, "Great acting by the parrots", where Tino had to sit still and Sugar had to "dance around". Mind you they were "just background ornaments to human actors.

Speaking of Tino; I got Tino as a 22-year old aviary/breeder bird, who had not been handed by other than a net for 21 years (he was imported at the age of 7 months and only the importer knows what he was like then). The process with him was different, as he climbled down onto my shoulder and was basically tame from the first minute I met him, but my bond with him is also SO special. Again I would not wish to trade this for a second of baby time.

The only wish I could have was to have had a longer history with them both, as they are my soul mates and eventhough I love Honey and Trudi and love their baby temper, I don't think they will ever occupy the same space in my heart :)

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I've done both. Baby macaws to adulthood and lots, and lots of rehabs and fosters...

Honestly?!

Baby, baby macaws aren't really all there yet. Then they have the attention span of a gnat, and they don't stop, and they are into everything all the time, and you end up doing a TON of boundary setting... STOP THAT. DON'T TOUCH. THAT'S NOT YOURS. GET OFF OF THERE... so THAT is what you're missing out on... really. It's exhausting. Especially when they are "free range chickens" like mine are.

The hard years for macaws are the 7-12 years. The initial hormonal years.

Mush macs are priceless regardless of the age. I had a 60-something Foster bird that was as big a lap bird as any baby you'll ever find...

And older birds are generally calmer. So, I don't mind that a bit.

OP
Luckyandjenn

Luckyandjenn

Jul 25, 2016
Media
Albums
San deigo ca
Parrots
Lucky
The longer you have Parrots and the more open you are about it, the more Parrot People you will know!

Complete a Web Search for Parrot Groups in your area. They are out there and areas of larger populations tend to be more likely to have an active group. Join and enjoy.

Please remember to keep working at Socializing your MAC. Any person that both of you seem comfortable with should get a chance to have a MAC on their arm. Take great care that the Human and Parrot are both comfortable. A well socialized Parrot is willing to go to and be around Humans that they are comfortable with.

Have Fun!

"I have a dry sense of humor at times lolz (so that was not hard to catch) and yes the whole having a bidy as a baby vs one as a rescue or a rehome thoe i yern for the stuff i missed out on its fun see how lucky is opening up and showing his true self hes starting to show me how he plays its a bit beaky for me not sure on how to show him how to play proper but he now lets me play with his feets and he dances with me and stuff he makes weird noises and sounds with me and hes been more cuddly as well which is nice its alot of work but its well well worth it

I wish i had more friends with birds id love to be a bird tree lol i bet that is somthing to see."

I have looked into bird clubs and such on the internet for in my area and all i seem to find is wild bird watchin te things not what im looking for lol and as farbas the socilizing part goes thats more tricky as moost people have never see a bird this big up close and personal there i can count the number of people who have been ballzy enough to hold him on one hand my problem is he seems to be so scared of other people not only that but he trys to scar and nip at people but im working on it . .....its hard being the only person he really lets handle him now he fusses when the hubby trys to handle him ugh lol so strange because it used to be the oppiset way around

OP
Luckyandjenn

Luckyandjenn

Jul 25, 2016
Media
Albums
San deigo ca
Parrots
Lucky
I've done both. Baby macaws to adulthood and lots, and lots of rehabs and fosters...

Honestly?!

Baby, baby macaws aren't really all there yet. Then they have the attention span of a gnat, and they don't stop, and they are into everything all the time, and you end up doing a TON of boundary setting... STOP THAT. DON'T TOUCH. THAT'S NOT YOURS. GET OFF OF THERE... so THAT is what you're missing out on... really. It's exhausting. Especially when they are "free range chickens" like mine are.

The hard years for macaws are the 7-12 years. The initial hormonal years.

Mush macs are priceless regardless of the age. I had a 60-something Foster bird that was as big a lap bird as any baby you'll ever find...

And older birds are generally calmer. So, I don't mind that a bit.

Its hard here ihave this bird thats so far not food or treat movaited im not sure how to play with him or how hes used to being played with im still very much so trying to unravel how he is. its hard thoe he dosent talk much there's so much to learn about his body language. ..hes picked up a couple new words so thats nice..not sure how he was raised as a baby but i dont think he was ever taught to fly now im having to teach an adult brid that he can fly thats not easy .... its alot of hard work tryimg to fugire out a 16 plus year old bird ... thoe im deff happy with the progress weve made considering the first 2 to three months he really hated me did nothing but yell and scream and lunge and bite me thoe i did win him over eventually i did lot standing next to his cage not looking at him just sweet talking and eexplaining my every move and being super slow around him. Hes the only animal that has made me cry because all i wanted was for him to like me all he did was act like he hated me lol im happy with were we are its just a super slow process

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon

I have looked into bird clubs and such on the internet for in my area and all i seem to find is wild bird watchin te things not what im looking for lol and as farbas the socilizing part goes thats more tricky as moost people have never see a bird this big up close and personal there i can count the number of people who have been ballzy enough to hold him on one hand my problem is he seems to be so scared of other people not only that but he trys to scar and nip at people but im working on it . .....its hard being the only person he really lets handle him now he fusses when the hubby trys to handle him ugh lol so strange because it used to be the oppiset way around

The term is socializing and the MAC expect on Socializing is Birdman666. The biggest problem with fully socialized MAC's is getting them to understand that some people are weird and do not like having a MAC use them as a couch. :D

Respond to his Post above and get the details from the source! :D

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Chris went through that with her bird.

They take time.

I've just dealt with so many that handling them has become second nature for me.

Macaws are attention oriented. USE THAT. The worst possible thing you can do to a macaw is to ignore it...

When they act up. You can usually influence behaviors simply by putting them back and walking away. And you can try too hard to get them to like you. LET THE BIRD COME TO YOU. DO THINGS TO INTEREST THE BIRD, WHILE COMPLETELY IGNORING IT. MAKE THE BIRD COME TO YOU...

Playing games: If it interests a toddler, it will probably hold a macaw's interest. Peek e boo with a towel, for example. Sarah and Maggie used to run around and play "I'M GONNA GET YOU" - a form of tag.

All of my big macs have quickly become lap birds. They roll around on my lap, and play with my fingers.

Maggie and Sweepea both played wiffle ball. They could catch and throw the ball. And sometimes run off with it and chew it up. Five for $1.00 - cheap bird toys...

Sweepea knows how to bowl...

OP
Luckyandjenn

Luckyandjenn

Jul 25, 2016
Media
Albums
San deigo ca
Parrots
Lucky

The term is socializing and the MAC expect on Socializing is Birdman666. The biggest problem with fully socialized MAC's is getting them to understand that some people are weird and do not like having a MAC use them as a couch. :D

Respond to his Post above and get the details from the source! :D

Enjoy!
Sry for the late reply lost internet for a few days here i have been trying my best to socialize him thats one of the reasons i take him out and about there are also a few friends who have had experience with birds in the past that do really well with lucky. Lucky will step up and acept little head seracthes but he wont stay there fro long i am always right there to pick him up if he needs me... its also hard because lucky intimidates most people and lucky gets a thrill out of trying to scare people the first time he meets them im looking up on how to correct this behavior

OP
Luckyandjenn

Luckyandjenn

Jul 25, 2016
Media
Albums
San deigo ca
Parrots
Lucky
Chris went through that with her bird.

They take time.

I've just dealt with so many that handling them has become second nature for me.

Macaws are attention oriented. USE THAT. The worst possible thing you can do to a macaw is to ignore it...

When they act up. You can usually influence behaviors simply by putting them back and walking away. And you can try too hard to get them to like you. LET THE BIRD COME TO YOU. DO THINGS TO INTEREST THE BIRD, WHILE COMPLETELY IGNORING IT. MAKE THE BIRD COME TO YOU...

Playing games: If it interests a toddler, it will probably hold a macaw's interest. Peek e boo with a towel, for example. Sarah and Maggie used to run around and play "I'M GONNA GET YOU" - a form of tag.

All of my big macs have quickly become lap birds. They roll around on my lap, and play with my fingers.

Maggie and Sweepea both played wiffle ball. They could catch and throw the ball. And sometimes run off with it and chew it up. Five for $1.00 - cheap bird toys...

Sweepea knows how to bowl...
Yes they do take time repetitiveness and patience but that fits me fine i dont have friends so i spend most of my time at home with lucky and my pets as far as when he acts up i do put him back in his cage as of now he does not have his own room but we are about to move in the next couple months and he will then have his very own birdy room wich will make correcting his bad behaviors much easier i have bought a few toys and so far so good he like to play fetch with me lmao he throws i retrive lol he also like the im going to get you game
As far as him chasing me and such he does not lile to be on the ground much at all when i do place him on the groumd he finds and makes his way up the couch lol hes such a scardy bird
Sry for the late reply my internet went out for a few days

Most Reactions