Amateur bird owner

Mrs_peters

Mar 15, 2016
Hey guys, I have a new Alexandrian. Well, we had a cockatiel and a friend of mine did a good job of taming him before I started to handle him and so it was great. But prior to that I had bad experiences with a friend's goffin cockatoo (dolly) who had always threatened to bite me every time i visited them for like 10 years! I was totally not a bird person back then and this bird was my first encounter and my cockatiel really helped me overcome that image in my head of the cockatoo.

Well, to make it short, I bought this Alex thinking I am over Dolly now and I am no longer threatened or scared by the beak. But after getting Alex out on day 2, my husband who is also new to birds kept thinking he's trying to bite us. I started reacting negatively and ever since I feel like Alex has been threatening to bite and all of Dolly's bad experience has come back to me and now I am hiding from my own bird when he's out! This is so sad! I've read tons of articles and I am just scared of a bite and also scared I can't get him off of me when he comes to me and I'll probably freak out so I stay away from him. This is sad :( please help if you can in anyway!! Thanks!

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Hi here's one link for you to have a go with

http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/49144-tips-bonding-building-trust.html

and another http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/3100-bond-forming.html

Read a little and then come back I would - Relax it'll be fine, honestly!

Need to get you more comfortable and relaxed as your bird will pick up your fear. If you can go sit with/by him in his cage take some reading, some treats and definitely a cup of tea/coffee and show this little fella you can be relaxed and you want to know him and hope he wants to know you too. OK?

Last edited:
OP
M

Mrs_peters

Mar 15, 2016
Hi! Thanks so much for answering back! I'm gona check out those links.. Well Alex is a sweet bird. He ain't so bad and I know it's me and he probably picks up my energy but I spent a lot of time sitting next to his cage and talking and singing and giving him treats. But once he started coming out, I've seen signs of him coming for a bite when I try to bring my hand near him with a treat. That lost my trust. And then he tries to sort of fly at me sometimes and that gets me scared too and reminds me of dolly the cockatoo! Haha.. She sure spooked me.. She used to fly at me and start trying to bite me! Well, but it feels good to share here. Maybe that'll help calm me and restore trust in him.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
That's OK, here is a link for the breed you have Alexandrines - Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community

My message is to try and learn a bit of their body language - it's how they communicate with you. My Plum flares his tail at me now when a bit peeved off with me so I tell him to "put that tail away and behave yourself" and he does. My point is you need to be able to understand what they are telling you. If you can do this even a bit it hopefully will give you some confidence. This cycle has to be broken somehow.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Welcome to the forums. :)

You've received some outstanding advice already! Take it slow, one day at a time. Is it possible that your husband works with Alex outside the cage while you are perhaps in another room?

All birds can (and sometimes will) bite, unfortunately. The training process will be ongoing. Birds certainly do pick up on our emotions. It's imperative to be calm and collected. How old is Alex?

Here is another good link: http://www.parrotforums.com/training/57935-brainstorming-biting-parrots.html

OP
M

Mrs_peters

Mar 15, 2016
Hi, I appreciate all the response. It's already helped me to calm down a little and gain trust in this little fella. He's about 5 months old I think. My husband is better but he is also scared to get too close to the bird. I just let him out. He just climbed up his cage and sat on a steel rod below the sink and is now falling asleep!

I guess I am just nervous about the uncertainty of a bird. I can understand dogs very well but birds seem a bit unpredictable still and needs some getting used to. I know we will get better and I will keep you guys posted!

OP
M

Mrs_peters

Mar 15, 2016
Hi, my Alex likes to come out in the evenings and he just goes under the sink and falls asleep on the hand towel rod and fall asleep. And it gets so difficult to get him in his cage before sleep time and he just wants to sit there. By the time we get home from work, he's done with his dinner so no motivation to go in. We don't want to force him into his cage. What do we do? It's not safe for him to stay out at night as he is still new to the house and doesn't know his way and may get scared or hurt.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Hi, my Alex likes to come out in the evenings and he just goes under the sink and falls asleep on the hand towel rod and fall asleep. And it gets so difficult to get him in his cage before sleep time and he just wants to sit there. By the time we get home from work, he's done with his dinner so no motivation to go in. We don't want to force him into his cage. What do we do? It's not safe for him to stay out at night as he is still new to the house and doesn't know his way and may get scared or hurt.

Hi again, my quick answer if it is really difficult for you to cope with this block it off so he cannot get into this space. He perhaps goes there because he feels safe? Do you have any sort of tree/playstand for him to hang out on? Doesn't have to be expensive or elaborate, you can make your own. Will link here http://www.parrotforums.com/do-yourself/59062-quick-diy-play-stand.html

Put him on this so he is with you but not on you - he can observe and get used to you and his surroundings.

The other option is move his cage to another room, guess he's in kitchen so bring him into lounge tv area. He'll have security of his cage and can play on and around it.

Last edited:
OP
M

Mrs_peters

Mar 15, 2016
Hey thanks for the advice again! Yes I made one from some tree branches which is right by the sink and he doesn't go to it. I could perhaps move him away from there and move him to the living room. But I wish I could come up with a solution where he gets to sit on that fave spot and then I could put him away.. I did this two times but it was yesterday that he was so not wanting to get back inside

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
If you can get him to want to interact with you more without potential problems that will help you - go for complicated when you feel happier OK.

Baby steps are good for now, really!

OP
M

Mrs_peters

Mar 15, 2016
Haha well he just got out and I put the branch closer to him and went and called him saying 'come' and he came!! He went back when I went back to my chair and I went to him again pointing to the branch saying 'come' and he came back! Maybe he thought I had a treat? Cuz I'm the one with the treats and food usually. Didn't he actually try to interact with me? And a little trust too you think? I'm still taking baby steps really. I'm sitting away worried he'd fly to me! Dang! But doing better today!

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Haha well he just got out and I put the branch closer to him and went and called him saying 'come' and he came!! He went back when I went back to my chair and I went to him again pointing to the branch saying 'come' and he came back! Maybe he thought I had a treat? Cuz I'm the one with the treats and food usually. Didn't he actually try to interact with me? And a little trust too you think? I'm still taking baby steps really. I'm sitting away worried he'd fly to me! Dang! But doing better today!

That's great news. :)

If he comes when called you should treat him or he will stop doing this.

If you turn it round to think about it this, you would think you were being teased wouldn't you if it was happening to you? If you apply this kinda thinking in a lot of cases it makes more sense to you.

OP
M

Mrs_peters

Mar 15, 2016
Hmm ya that sounds good. Only am still nervous giving treats out of my hand as he sometimes sort of bangs his beak towards the food or hand the first time I offer him something to eat (almost always) which is a weird thing cuz the second or third time I give something he comes and eats gently. Anyway, perhaps I can treat out of a container or something for now

OP
M

Mrs_peters

Mar 15, 2016
Hi there! Well, Alex refused to get into his cage and sat out all night :( we had to move him to a small room with his cage to avoid any accidents at night. It was traumatic for me and him! I didn't sleep all night cuz I was so worried if he'd be safe since it's a new room but we were left with no choice! When we woke up and I opened the door, he was as content as ever sitting on top of his cage and preening himself! He can't be in that room every night, though my husband thinks it's ok. He should be able to go inside his cage at night, right? At least in the morning for food? Even that didn't him make him get into his cage. I had to force him in sigh:( this can't continue and am now worried about letting him out today. He was being very naughty yesterday and this morning.

Most Reactions

Latest posts