Amazon and Eclectus scent

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
I have a new Eclectus .Ive noticed he has the same scent as my Zon. Im a little floored at this .I thought Zons had that special scent of their own . Anybody else have both these guys ?

Mike17

Aug 12, 2013
Media
Albums
Outback Western Australia
Parrots
Alex- Eclectus, Ariel- whiteface, Junior- pied, Custard-lutino, Ziggy- pearl cockatiels, Kermit- Princess parrot, Jade- Plumhead parrot, George- budgie, Coco- Rainbow lorikeet, Corey-Little Corella.
Our eccy, Alex, smells like honey to me, or at least sweet. The bird I'd expect to smell sweet, the rainbow lori, just has a dusty smell, but not unpleasant.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I have both, and you know, I think they do smell alike (when Ekko isn't smelling like the raspberries he rubs all over himself)

OP
Pinkbirdy

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
I have both, and you know, I think they do smell alike (when Ekko isn't smelling like the raspberries he rubs all over himself)
Ha ha ,that must be fun to get off . :p I swear my Caique ,rubs her berries on each of her cage bars !

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Ha ha ,that must be fun to get off . :p I swear my Caique ,rubs her berries on each of her cage bars !

Yep, Ekko does the cage rub thing too. As soon as it's clean, it isn't..lol. Thank goodness he now likes to be misted!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
When did you get your ekkie? Did I miss pictures????

OP
Pinkbirdy

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
I got Marley off craigslist [right after Christmas]. I know ,I need more birds like I need a hole in my head ! But something drove me to this. I talked the lady into taking my Xmas gift cards for him . He such a neat bird !!! Has a lot of qualities of my other birds all rolled into him :) Has a deformed beak [im working on]
pinkbirdy-albums-more-birds-picture10575-marley-009.jpg

Mike17

Aug 12, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Alex- Eclectus, Ariel- whiteface, Junior- pied, Custard-lutino, Ziggy- pearl cockatiels, Kermit- Princess parrot, Jade- Plumhead parrot, George- budgie, Coco- Rainbow lorikeet, Corey-Little Corella.
I got Marley off craigslist [right after Christmas]. I know ,I need more birds like I need a hole in my head ! But something drove me to this. I talked the lady into taking my Xmas gift cards for him . He such a neat bird !!! Has a lot of qualities of my other birds all rolled into him :) Has a deformed beak [im working on]
pinkbirdy-albums-more-birds-picture10575-marley-009.jpg

How will you be fixing the beak, Pinklady? We have non-tame hen with a mildly malformed beak, and we're a long way (900 km) from nearest avian vet.

OP
Pinkbirdy

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
Were doing a big diet overhaul [ I know he was just being fed seed] Trimming his beak with a dremmel . Seeing a different vet [might be liver problems].I thought his vet was poor [he obviously has problems]. Our Ls2 had a misaligned beak . We were able to fix it with diet.

Mike17

Aug 12, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Were doing a big diet overhaul [ I know he was just being fed seed] Trimming his beak with a dremmel . Seeing a different vet [might be liver problems].I thought his vet was poor [he obviously has problems]. Our Ls2 had a misaligned beak . We were able to fix it with diet.

Hmmm another use for my Dremel (type) tool eh! How do you keep the bird still for surgery?

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Marley is still beautiful even with his beak problem. I think I do remember hearing you mention about using the gift cards, I'm so sorry it slipped my mind.
So happy that you have him and are changing his life in wonderful ways:)

OP
Pinkbirdy

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots

Hmmm another use for my Dremel (type) tool eh! How do you keep the bird still for surgery?
We towel them [like a bird burrito:eek:] .But be careful on how much you do [it can hurt them ] . Id watch utube videos.

Mike17

Aug 12, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
We towel them [like a bird burrito:eek:] .But be careful on how much you do [it can hurt them ] . Id watch utube videos.

I was being a little cheeky (being Australian, after all :)). The thought of taking a Dremel-type tool to a bird's beak makes me weak at the knees. Especially if the bird was struggling!

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
The Dremel Tool will quickly heat up and badly burn the bird if you aren't careful. A little at the time is best, allow the beak/nail time to cool.

Mike17

Aug 12, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
The Dremel Tool will quickly heat up and badly burn the bird if you aren't careful. A little at the time is best, allow the beak/nail time to cool.

Hmmm yes, I've used them a fair bit over the years, although sadly, not a real Dremel (they're not as good as they used to be, alas, now being made in China, not US). That's why the idea of trimming a birds beak with one is so scary. I can see that a Dremel would be efficacious, but the bird would be moving and there's a tongue to get in the way... think I'd leave it to a vet.

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
Ekkie's smell like what they eat most of the time. One thing to watch for with Ekkie's is if their breath or mouth area starts smelling soured, take them to the vet. To me, it was a smell that takes some getting used to. I likened it to Honeydew melon most of the time.

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus

I dislike using those on animals for that reason and will not allow our vet or my mobiloe groomer to use them on my birds or dogs. I prefer the old fashioned hand file, it's easier to check and make sure you haven't gone to far. It's like cutting wood, better to cut it a little long because you can always cut some more off to get a good fit. It's hard to add it back on once it's cut off.

Most Reactions

Latest posts