Amazon growth

Billy29

Jul 26, 2013
Parrots
Yellow Shouldered Amazon
Quaker parrot
After a Amazon is weaned do they grow much more? I think Mango might of grew a little compared to when I first took him home.

Sammy01

Aug 30, 2013
Parrots
Milo: White Fronted Amazon
Sex: Male
approx hatch date: May 2013
I'm not 100% sure, but I think most parrots do. I'm not sure if Milo (my white fronted amazon) grew as I didn't measure him but I have noticed he's a bit bigger and chubbier. I know my budgies did.

ETA: I think it also has to do with when they're weaned.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
IMO what they weigh just before fledging (6-7 wks) is about what they'll weigh as adults. yes they can gain lots of weight and end up over weight, but a healthy weight is not much heavier than their 6-7 wk old weight. If a baby weighted 500 grams at fledging and 475 at weaning (12 wks) then i'd expect healthy adult weight at about 525-550 which might not occur until 1 yr of age. When sexual mature (7-8 yrs) males might put on as much as 10% when going though hormonal periods. Does that help explain things?

torrap

Jun 10, 2013
CO, USA
Parrots
Marley-YSA (hen) -hatched 07/20/2006;
Simba-DYHA (hen)-hatched 06/23/2003
How many grams Mango is weighing now?
The normal range for YSA is 250-350.
So, if he is around 300, I think he is done growing (unless you give him too much nuts and seeds.... :)).
Marley was 410 grams when I got her...She looked like a little baloon.
She is 300 grams now and doesn't loose weight anymore.

OP
Billy29

Billy29

Jul 26, 2013
Parrots
Yellow Shouldered Amazon
Quaker parrot
My baby Mango seems to be filling out or getting fat. I guess I need to get a scale.

torrap

Jun 10, 2013
CO, USA
Parrots
Marley-YSA (hen) -hatched 07/20/2006;
Simba-DYHA (hen)-hatched 06/23/2003
My baby Mango seems to be filling out or getting fat. I guess I need to get a scale.

There is something else you can do to help Mango to "stay in shape" ..... :).
Flying is the best thing, that's what I have noticed with Marley.
When I got the entire 410 grams of her she couldn't fly. I assume people who had her didn't let her out of the cage and were feeding her seeds.
When I would raise her up in the air and try to encourage her to fly, she would not be able to hold herself in the air and would glide down to the floor, poor thing.
Then she started flapping her wings really hard standing on the top of her cage and holding the cage bars with her feet. She would do it every day for about a week, and only after that she was able to fly to her cage from about 3-4 feet of me standing away from it. I was increasing the distance every day...... and now, oh boy, you should see her maneuvering around my house.....it's a lot of fun to watch her. She knows where her stands usually are in different rooms, so she just takes off and goes from room to room to land on each stand just to exercise sometimes.
I think she lost all this extra weight because of her desire to fly.

Was Mango able to fly wearing his harness? That could be fun, I think.

OP
Billy29

Billy29

Jul 26, 2013
Parrots
Yellow Shouldered Amazon
Quaker parrot
I haven't tried letting Mango fly yet. We usually go for walks together and I noticed when something scares him he grips my hand tighter.

Do you have anymore pictures of Marley? I think we are the only two with yellow shoulders.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
after a amazon is weaned do they grow much more? I think mango might of grew a little compared to when i first took him home.

like the rest of us, most growth at that point is usually around the waistline...

Most Reactions