Amazon owners, what are these magnificent creatures?

Maxo

Jul 30, 2015
Seacoast area, New Hampshire
Parrots
None (just mom's Senegal, Tangie)
amazons aggressive

do amazon owners find their birds more aggressive than others? or do you think amazons are as tameable as any other birds? how much is stereotype?

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
Lilo - Female Green Cheek Conure ~ Pal - male cockatiel ~ Pheobe - female cockatiel
:green: I was wondering, what is up with Amazon parrots? I don't know them well. I have been around conures, cockatoos, Macaws. But what are Amazons like? What floats their boats? Are they sweet? I know they are fun to be with and I know they have complicating body language and are for more experienced bird owners. But I have heard that they randomly bite and are unpredictable. Are they dangerous birds? Are they like having a Tiger? I know that when you understand their body language and get to know your bird, you will understand more and get when they are angry or scared which then may end up in a bite. Now I am not in any way wanting one of these beauties, they are a bit too much for us right now or really for a long time! Maybe ever but all I am wondering is what are the Amazon species like! Thanks guys and by the way, I love to read and see the cute pictures of all of your guises Amazons! They are so beautiful, thanks for sharing them! :green1:

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon
Zilla is an Orange Wing Amazon and the sweetest bird ever. Never bites, I've never seen her go into "amazon overload" never done any of the things most people with Amazons warn they do. Maybe she just looks like an Amazon???

Attachments

• Zilla July 2015 003.jpg
    Zilla July 2015 003.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 184
  • Zilla July 2015 001.jpg
    Zilla July 2015 001.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 186

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Re: amazons aggressive

Coincidentally, there is a similar thread going on right now... you might want to check answers as they appear in this thread too, in case someone might post here and not see yours http://www.parrotforums.com/amazons/56842-amazon-owners-what-these-magnificent-creatures.html

"Just as tameable as some other species?" Sure they are. It does help to know the basic personality characteristics, and then you'll see variables between individuals. The ones called the "hot 3" are BFA, YNA, DYH, but even those can make wonderful pets, and I'm sure you'll get some feedback from those who own those species, as well as other Amazon species.

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
Here's my Sydney, he's both an angel and a devil when he wants to be. Amazons I would say that they're predictable, but don't take well to being mistreated. They're not as forgiving as some others, and might be a little aggressive when upset. My Sydney also gets moody during mating season or when he's molting, but he's incredibly sweet and a definite cuddle bug. I wouldn't trade him for the world! :green:

NhnJS8Y.jpg
PU0ZSOH.jpg
PeA6hdn.jpg
EyH5lEN.jpg

Last edited:

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Berry - Cinnamon GCC

As I said in my post in the other thread, my Sydney is only really aggressive during breeding season and when he's molting. But he DOES get jealous and will fly at me if I spend too much time with my Grey or if my Grey nips me, he'll come to protect me. But he's also incredibly sweet and cuddly (when he wants to be.)

Also as I said, I don't think they're as easy to forgive as some other birds, they tend to hold a grudge a bit longer than most, but that's my own personal opinion. In the behavioral thread, the biggest thing that I believe to be true is that amazons don't bluff. What you see is what you get, so if they're threatening you, they will bite. My grey will puff up like he's going to bite, but he'll just push the top of his beak against me, and will never bite hard enough to even leave an imprint. Sydney's torn me apart, giving me some serious bites, but it was my own fault, and happened early on when I was still learning his behavior.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I was wondering, what is up with Amazon parrots? I don't know them well. I have been around conures, cockatoos, Macaws. But what are Amazons like? What floats their boats? Are they sweet? I know they are fun to be with and I know they have complicating body language and are for more experienced bird owners. But I have heard that they randomly bite and are unpredictable. Are they dangerous birds? Are they like having a Tiger?.....

What are they like? They are THE most fun loving parrots! Yes, they ARE sweet, and no, they are no more 'unpredictable' than many other bird species. In fact, IME it's quite easy to 'read' an Amazon's body language. :) Do they/can they randomly bite? What parrot doesn't/can't? :21: Are they dangerous? Absolutely not! Of course I'm a tad bit biased since I'm owned by 2 Tigers...I mean Amazons, and both are considered 'hot' species.

My Hunter (16 year old YN) is as sweet as they come! She goes to every single family member any given time of the day and year. Does she get broody? Sure, but she remains sweet and very predictable. Does she cuddle? You betcha! She'd be on one of us 24/7 if we'd let her.

My oldest and 'his' Hunter:
IMG_64677_zpsd0d44f2c.jpg

My youngest and 'his' Hunter:
IMG_6450.jpg

IMG_6455.jpg

Then there's my Sam, a 3 year old Magna DYH. IMO he's a typical boy, but that doesn't make him vicious and/or unpredictable. ;)

Look, he even wears a harness - and all my fingers remained intact.

SaminHarness005.jpg

Now here is my Sam in a 'not so good mood', but look how obvious he makes it:

Bird%20Selfies%20029.jpg

Few birds enjoy showers more than Amazons:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQhFjAON3PQ"]Bathtime one - YouTube[/ame]

I could never imagine my life without either one of them! :smile015:

THE most important thing is to socialize them. Take them places, they LOVE it! They love being the center of attention, and they love performing for anyone. :D

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LAvg_Xj_7I&feature=youtu.be"]Hunter singing Jiggly Puff (plus then some) - YouTube[/ame]

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012

do amazon owners find their birds more aggressive than others? or do you think amazons are as tameable as any other birds? how much is stereotype?

Coincidentally, there is a similar thread going on right now... you might want to check answers as they appear in this thread too, in case someone might post here and not see yours http://www.parrotforums.com/amazons/56842-amazon-owners-what-these-magnificent-creatures.html

"Just as tameable as some other species?" Sure they are. It does help to know the basic personality characteristics, and then you'll see variables between individuals. The ones called the "hot 3" are BFA, YNA, DYH, but even those can make wonderful pets, and I'm sure you'll get some feedback from those who own those species, as well as other Amazon species.

I merged the threads together as they are just about identical. :)

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
JerseyWendy, Sydney was going CRAZY listening to your birds! I wish he liked to be sprayed like that!

Last edited:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
JerseyWendy, Sydney was going CRAZY listening to your birds! I wish he liked to be sprayed like that!

LOL! It doesn't take much to 'get them going', does it? :D

If Sidney doesn't like 'spray baths', have you tried placing a large bowl on the bottom of his cage to see if he likes to give himself a bath instead? Oftentimes running the vacuum cleaner and/or playing some upbeat music gets them in the 'mood'. What about the shower? Have you tried taking a shower with him? Sometimes it's more fun if they have company. :54:

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Berry - Cinnamon GCC

LOL! It doesn't take much to 'get them going', does it? :D

If Sidney doesn't like 'spray baths', have you tried placing a large bowl on the bottom of his cage to see if he likes to give himself a bath instead? Oftentimes running the vacuum cleaner and/or playing some upbeat music gets them in the 'mood'. What about the shower? Have you tried taking a shower with him? Sometimes it's more fun if they have company. :54:
He'll tollerate the shower, but he doesn't love it. He usually sticks his head in his water bowl but that's it. I had put a bigger crock in there and he ignored it, have to get a wide dish or grab one of those paint trays to stick in his cage.

And LOL about the vacuum! My conure would go mad when I turned on the vacuum and she'd practically empty her water bowl splashing around. I've always showered with the birds but I'm a little concerned about potential bites with Sydney, oh boy.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Awww! I don't even have a Zon and I love this thread!

Fantastic photos of Sidney, Hunter and Sam! Wendy your boys are very handsome too!

Those videos of Hunter's, Jiggly Puff,' and Sam's shower make me laugh every time I see them.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I've always showered with the birds but I'm a little concerned about potential bites with Sydney, oh boy.

Bathing suit???? :54: :21: :32: I'm only half kidding. I know what you mean about being worried about getting mauled by an angry zon who doesn't want to shower. I had that issue with my GW Ripley. I had to teach him that showers are actually fun, and did it by showering WITH him. And yes, I wore the bathing suit - not that I thought it was a suit of armor or anything....but it gave me a 'little' piece of mind. :eek:

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
I've always showered with the birds but I'm a little concerned about potential bites with Sydney, oh boy.

Bathing suit???? :54: :21: :32: I'm only half kidding. I know what you mean about being worried about getting mauled by an angry zon who doesn't want to shower. I had that issue with my GW Ripley. I had to teach him that showers are actually fun, and did it by showering WITH him. And yes, I wore the bathing suit - not that I thought it was a suit of armor or anything....but it gave me a 'little' piece of mind. :eek:
I have to fix my shower perch, one of the suction cups fell off, but I'd usually just stick him on there and not get him wet. I was also using the grab bar wrapped with vet tape but we just took it out to replace.

When I was working at Petsmart doing dog training, one of my clients had an african grey that she showered with, she was a little wary after he slipped and bit her on the chest though!

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
Lilo - Female Green Cheek Conure ~ Pal - male cockatiel ~ Pheobe - female cockatiel
Thanks everyone for the information and pictures! I love learning about different parrots and how they act! :D Amazons so interests me. I met a yellow crowned amazon at a pet store and I just loved her! I have never held a Amazon parrot. Macaws cockatoos yes but amazons are very different :D its so amazing how many kinds of parrots are out there :)

Last edited:

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Wendy..Amy "used" to act just like that at shower time..I don't understand why she doesn't anymore :confused:

I could use two misting bottles worth of water on her and she'd beg for more.
And she DOES love attention..going for rides in the car just makr=es her so happy,where she is throwing her head this way and that,saying every word or phrase that she ever learned..and when we are at places like dunkin donuts,or McyDee's she will carry on a conversation with whomever will pay attention to her,which would be just about everyone,coz they all say what a beautiful girl she is :D

Jim

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Wendy, I love your pics of Hunter with the guys. She's adorable! Sam sure is handsome too :). Thank you so much for sharing proof of how even the "hot three" zons can make such wonderful companions :D. You still have all 10 fingers!

You had me cracking up about the bathing suit making you feel more 'comfortable' in the shower :18:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Wendy..Amy "used" to act just like that at shower time..I don't understand why she doesn't anymore :confused:

Jim, when did Amy lose interest in her showers? How long ago? How often does she get one? Did anything traumatic/unsettling/upsetting happen during a shower?

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.

Jim, when did Amy lose interest in her showers? How long ago? How often does she get one? Did anything traumatic/unsettling/upsetting happen during a shower?

I think it was last year she lost interest..Of course,only in summertime would she go outside for a shower,thats when she did her spreading of the arms thing..and in the winter she was placed in the bathtub. I think she was uncomfy there. I'd try one of those stick-to-the-wall perches,but she didn't have enough room to spread her arms wide open.
And nothing traumatic happened,that I can recall.

Jim

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I think it was last year she lost interest..Of course,only in summertime would she go outside for a shower,thats when she did her spreading of the arms thing..and in the winter she was placed in the bathtub. I think she was uncomfy there. I'd try one of those stick-to-the-wall perches,but she didn't have enough room to spread her arms wide open.
And nothing traumatic happened,that I can recall.

Jim

Jim, if you have any plastic garden chairs, put her on the back of one. Of course put something heavy on the seating part so she doesn't tip. Bring the chair inside and lay thick old towels on the floor and around the area you want to remain (pretty) dry. There she can spread her wings. :D

In the video I posted I actually had Sam on the back of our regular kitchen stool (with towels surrounding the area and over the chair so he has a better grip).

Worth a try, no? :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts