Amazon owners, what are these magnificent creatures?

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Well,when she went outside,<I did this just last week> I'd put her in her favorite tree <Rose of Sharon> and that's where she went in to her song and dance...the last few times she just sat there..and I put her on an outside play gym I have..and nothing..she just shook her head.
I do have a couple of those plastic chair things, I guess I could put one in the kitchen and try that <she knows the kitchen so it shouldn't be strange to her>
But she used to be so animated and clearly loved her baths :eek:

Jim

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
i haven't read though all the other post, been in the ocean. I would like to address the original question,,, They are so independent that you appreciate their attentions that much more. Never mind their loyalty. Opinionated , intelligent and yet capable of such cuddliness. They speak in context and after 45 yrs together amaze me everyday. I feel blessed to be worthy of such a friend. My girl "Jake" is covered in pin feathers. I haven't been home in 4 days. I come though the door and see she needs my attentions, she bails into my arms so i can "fix" her. A good preening from me and a shower. Now , she feels the need to preen me for the next hour, it's an amazing relationship, and i can do no wrong. She's been though 2 wives, 3 kids, many dogs,countless girl friends,roomates, car wrecks,fire,hurricanes,floods, boat sinkings, you named it, and i'm still the "light of her life". She's the "rock" in mine.

Last edited:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I know they are fun to be with and I know they have complicating body language and are for more experienced bird owners.

AND THAT'S REALLY THE SOURCE OF THE REPUTATION RIGHT THERE.

But I have heard that they randomly bite and are unpredictable. Are they dangerous birds? Are they like having a Tiger?

IF IT HAS A BEAK IT CAN BITE. IF IT HAS A LARGE BEAK, IT CAN INFLICT INJURY. PERIOD! NO EXCEPTIONS...

A TIGER CAN MAUL YOU TO DEATH. AN AMAZON CAN POSSIBLY FRACTURE A FINGER, INFLICT A BITE WOUND THAT NEEDS STITCHES, OR DEGLOVE FLESH, OR POSSIBLY EVEN FRACTURE A FINGER.

THEY DON'T RANDOMLY BITE... (LARGE TOOS AND SENNIE'S ARE WAY MORE RANDOM ABOUT IT THAN ZONS.) A ZON WILL PRETTY MUCH WARN YOU EVERY TIME, UNLESS IT'S DISPLACEMENT BITING, THEN HE'S WARNING SOMEONE ELSE, AND UNFORTUNATELY, BITING THE CRAP OUTTA YOU TO WARN THEM.... NOTHING RANDOM ABOUT IT...

AMAZON OVERLOAD IS ALSO VERY REAL. NOTHING RANDOM ABOUT THAT EITHER. YOU CAN ACTUALLY SEE THEM GETTING WORKED INTO A STATE. YOU CAN SEE THEM REACHING OUT AND CHOMPING ON THEIR TOYS... YEAH, STICK YOUR FINGER UP THERE... WHEN HE'S CHOMPING ON STUFF... CUZ IT'S THE "UNPREDICTABLE" AMAZON WHO JUST SUDDENLY TURNS ON YOU AND BITES FOR NO REASON AT ALL!

YEAH... UH-HUH...

AND BY THE WAY, I CAN HOLD EITHER ONE OF MINE, EVEN WHEN THEY ARE WORKED INTO A STATE... SO AGAIN, SOCIALIZATION, THAT THEY GENERALLY DON'T GET, IS A KEY FACTOR IN AMAZONS WHO BITE.

ANY BIRD WITH THAT KIND OF BITE PRESSURE CAN INFLICT A BITE THAT REQUIRES STITCHES, OR POSSIBLY EVEN A DEGLOVING INJURY. AND THAT PRETTY MUCH APPLIES TO EVERY BIRD PATTIGONIAN CONURE AND LARGER. GO TAKE A LOOK AT THE VIDEOS OF KIWI AGAIN... SEE THE LADY STICKING HER FINGERS IN THE BEAK EVEN AS THE BIRD IS PLAYING WITH A TOY?! THEY CAN ALSO BE TRAINED TO CONTROL THEIR BITE PRESSURE. JUST LIKE ALL THE OTHERS.

Maybe ever but all I am wondering is what are the Amazon species like!

AMAZONS ARE HUGE PERSONALITY BIRDS.

THEY ARE PAIR BOND BIRDS, AND CAN BE AMAZINGLY LOVING AND DEVOTED TO THEIR OWNERS, AND YET ARE VERY INDEPENDENT AT THE SAME TIME. BECAUSE THEY ARE PAIR BOND BIRDS, THEY CAN AND WILL OVERBOND IF ALLOWED TO. AGAIN, THAT GOES FOR ANY PAIR BOND BIRD. SO YOU MUST SOCIALIZE THEM PROPERLY. THEY CAN BE "OPINIONATED" AT TIMES, AND YOU HAVE TO RESPECT THAT. THEY ARE HARDY, AND NOT CLINGY. HOWEVER, THEY ARE STUBBORN. THEY CAN ALSO GO FROM BEING AFRAID OF AN OBJECT TO "THAT'S MINE GIMME IT" IN SOMEWHERE AROUND SIX SECONDS...

BUT, YOU ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO UNDERSTAND BODY LANGUAGE AND MANNERISMS IN ORDER TO WORK WITH ONE.

AGAIN, THERE ARE MANY SPECIES OF ZONS. SOME ARE SHY. SOME ARE VERY OUTGOING. SOME ARE GREAT TALKERS, AND SINGERS, AND ARE ON THE EXCITABLE SIDE, OTHERS ARE CALMER AND MORE CUDDLY... THEY CAN ALSO BE PERCH POTATOES. DEPENDS ON THE LEVEL OF INTERACTION THEY GET. THAT IN SOME WAYS ALSO DEPENDS ON THE SPECIES.

DURING BREEDING SEASON, SOME ZONS, NOT ALL OF THEM, GO INTO "PROTECT THE NEST" MODE. THEY BECOME HORMONALLY AGGRESSIVE AROUND THEIR CAGE AND/OR THEIR PERSON.

SOME... NOT ALL... AND USUALLY IT'S BECAUSE THEY DON'T GET OUT OF THE CAGE ENOUGH. A CAGEBOUND ZON MORE OFTEN THAN NOT WILL BECOME TERITORIALLY AGGRESSIVE. (BUT SO WILL A MACAW, OR A CONURE, FOR THAT MATTER.)

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Why I Love Amazons​

Over the years, I have enjoyed the company of the full cross-section of large parrots. I am often asked; which is my favorite and without hesitation, I state that my favorite is that raucous group of parrots know as Amazons. The common second question is: WHY Amazons, they are so difficult.

Difficult? What is so difficult about Amazons! At this point, the questioner commonly tells any number of stories of the much-fabled Flaming Hot Three, The Hormonal Maniacs, The Screaming Monsters, The Flesh Devouring Vampires, The Territorial Hoarders, and The Cruel Divider of Families. Stories, Stories and more Stories of that New World Green Killer!

Then I begin asking questions – commonly the bird or birds in question was purchased on the quick and far more commonly, the cheap. The new owner was provided little or no information, let alone what constitutes a healthy meal or proper living quarters, let alone anything regarding understanding them, then surprise, surprise the little green bundle turns into a Mass Murderer! It would be truly funny, if not for the part where they dump the bird!

It must be a new fault in the Human personality or a recent failure in our rearing of Humans, which has resulted in the growing number of Humans that believe that life requires nothing more then simply wanting something for it to magically be that way. Possibly, it’s the affect of the wonders of modern technology - that fresh from the box - instance gratification of extremely complicated technology that by simply adding batteries or plugging it in, It Work! Gratifying our momentary want, before we whisk onto our next want. Whatever happened to actually having to work for something? Reality Check: Living Things do not function that way. Surprise, you have to work at having a ‘Successful Relationship’ with Living Things!

Amazons Are Simple! All you have to do is pay attention and they will clearly tell you what is working and what is not. Amazon’s tell you like it is, no rouse, no guessing, no game playing, just to the point, the way it is! All we Humans have to do is to use only a small percentage of our enormous brains and simply be observant. How hard is that?

That same Amazon, now having lived though the passing from one dead-end relationship after another, with stops between in those wonderful places called “House of Horrors” or more commonly referred to as Pet Stores, can by luck or divine intervention find its way into a true home. You know, one of those seemly rare places in which individuals value each other and contribute to their abilities. There, that Green Mass Murderer, by great transformation, becomes the love of that family’s life. How can this be? A Vampire to a Lover, what Storybook can this be from.

There is no storybook - it is simply why I love Amazons. Through all the past miss-treatment, with a little bit of love, understanding and observation they are the “Come Back Kid’s” of the Avian World. It can even occur in the same home that had defined that Amazon as the New World Green Killer. Is this possible in the same home? Yes, a simple change on the part of the Humans and its time for the Lover to come forth!

Anyone that has known me for even a short period of time, know that I have a Love for Amazons. I Love the Feather, Flesh, Smell, and Blood of the Living Amazon, which does not require batteries and is not simply de-activated by pulling the plug or pushing the OFF button. I Love In Your Face Amazons! A Warm Blooded, Living Reality Check, Everyday!

Put that latest greatest electrical gratification toys away, engage a living creature. You may just find that there is far more to life than that momentary gratification toy.

The one true reality that runs in every thread of this post is the Love, Trust and Respect each member has 'with' their Amazons.

So, why are there so many stories of the 'killer Amazons' and so few of the 'loving Amazons'? Because people 'buy' Amazons for all the wrong reasons, miss treat them when things go wrong and the Amazon rightfully returns the pain. Sadly unless the next 'buyer' understands what they need to do for the Amazon, things go bad even faster. Hence, all Amazons are Killers! This is an over simplification, but you get the point.

Also, those owned by Amazons have worked long and hard to keep the truth hidden from the masses!:D

Amazon's Have More Fun!

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
Lilo - Female Green Cheek Conure ~ Pal - male cockatiel ~ Pheobe - female cockatiel
Ok look I was jus joking about the Tiger thing! Obviously they won't kill you! I was exaggerating. Thanks for the info tho

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Ok look I was jus joking about the Tiger thing! Obviously they won't kill you! I was exaggerating. Thanks for the info tho

I figured you were, but... you can't give me those kinds of openings... to good a set up line.

Seriously, it's all about learning to read them. The folks that get bit on a regular basis usually just never learn.

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
Re: amazons aggressive

Buddy is my first Amazon, I knew nothing about them. I received a call from my cousin who asked me if I would take Buddy after both his parents passed away. I thought about it and picked him up. On the way home with him, we stopped at Sonic and while waiting for our drinks, I heard buddy moving in his cage behind us, turned to look and he had his head smashed against the bars wanting his head scratched, so I scratched. I started reading up on amazons and learning about their reputation but Buddy was anything but what they said. He and I bonded and he and I have had a great relationship, he does get in a mood and I know how to read him.

He is a one person bird, my bird, he doesn't like anyone else. He does love attention from people but they can't touch him. I take him out and he says hello to everyone and will mimic and whistle at them. He's animated and people love that, but no one is allowed to touch him because he will bite, usually not me though. That is my experience with my Amazon, love him to bits.

Most Reactions

Latest posts