Amazon Parrot Talking Question

Ollie2010

Jan 2, 2010
We just adopted a 15 year old yellow crown amazon. She's been with us for a couple of weeks now. So far, she says hello, hi, no-no, awww (when you rub her head) and she barks. When we whistle or say certain words, she mouths the word or moves her mouth along with the whistle. Her mouth moves but nothing comes out. Is this a step in her learning to say the words?

We are still getting to know her and her personality. We talk to her all the time and she loves the attention. She spends as much time out of her cage as possible. I do notice that when she is in her cage and we are out of eyesight, that is when she is most likely to say hello, hellooo, HEllo, HELLO?

When we brought her home, we knew she was an older bird and were told she only says hello. We are perfectly fine with her not saying alot. It's just that she looks like she's trying so hard and if there is something we are doing wrong or something we can do to help her along...any tips?

Thanks!
Ollie

Beatriz Cazeneuve

Banned
Banned
Dec 10, 2009
Poconos, Pa, USA
No, you are doing fine. Just keep on with the love and attention. The only thing I would recommend is for you to take her to an avian vet for a complete check up and an evaluation of her previous diet and whether she might need some supplements.

And, at 15, she is not old at all (old is over 30). And thank you so much for adopting instead of buying! Kudos, kudos, kudos to you for that! If everybody adopted there wouldn't be sooooo many birds in rescue....

OP
Ollie2010

Ollie2010

Jan 2, 2010
Thanks Beatriz! I have to say that we are enjoying her SO much. Everyday she teaches us something new. I can't stay away from her for too long and I can't stay away from the pet stores now either.

Riley's mom

Banned
Banned
Dec 17, 2009
Holiday, Florida
Parrots
Military's, African Greys, Blue and Gold, Goffin, conures, quaker, lovebird, senegal parrot
Amazons are wonderful birds with huge personalities, no matter what their age. As far as talking, I talk to my birds just like I do people and they pick up words, phrases and songs. My friend has a double yellow headed amazon and she also talks to him in the same manner that she would talk to anyone and he too talks alot now. Good luck and enjoy!!!:green1:

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Great for you adopting a bird Congrat's wish more people would.
Sounds like you doing a wonderful job so far.
I agree with Beatriz in taking the bird to a vet, just to be safe.
My AG Mishka (now 2 years old) would also only talk when we were not in the room.
Eventually when on her playpen or feeding perch she started talking and has not shut up since LoL.
She's my chatterbox 24/7.
Not long ago, when sitting on my lap, she cuddled up to me and said Mommy uppies, I picked her up and she said I love you.
She brought me to tears, I was so touched.
Now every night, I GET SPOILT !!!
Good luck keep up the good work.
Keep us updated
Bye for now
:green1:

dranger1108

May 9, 2008
Parsons, Kansas
Parrots
5 love birds
6 cockatiels
2 green cheeks
I'm getting my Amazon 18 days from now. He says some words, but we'll work with him too. Every morning say good morning to him, say good night at night and just keep working with him. Sounds like your doing good!
Congrats on your cutie, would love to see pictures!

Most Reactions

Latest posts