an experiment, if you will

KBEquine

May 19, 2011
South-central PA
Parrots
From little to big - currently 6 Linnies; 2 Budgies; 1 BHP; 2 CAGs; 2 Zons; 1 GWM. Formerly in the flock: 1 LSC2 [fostered/rehomed] RIP: 1 budgie 1 WCP & 1 sweet Pan Am
I didn't know I was an amazon person, but it turned out I was. Good luck with the macaw and I hope you become buddies.

Same here - I thought I was a Grey/Eclectus person, at first. But have to admit, my 'keets crack me up & always make me smile & PaulE, the amazon, is wonderful. I was SURE I was not an amazon person until he came to live. And then I fell hard.

Back to the original question - I notice that Gilbert The Greyt gets aggitated when he hears tension or anger in a voice - when my husband comes home from work & tells me what the local oompa loompas did this time, for example. Also PaulE goes from what I call his normal 'happy lady from northern Jersey' voice to his 'crotchety old man who swears a lot' voice when he hears tension or a loud voice.

It is a distinct change in each & it happens consistently in the same situation.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I always had a fear of amazons because they always displayed the moment they saw me. I was certain they all wanted to tear me to shreds. They were the one bird I was certain I would never own. One even kept saying to me, "Oh, come here, I won't bite you!" And I thought, yeah, right! Evil thing, trying to get me in range!

But, when my BC passed away and I put an ad on CL to find another, older bird, everyone who contacted me had an amazon. So I said, well, maybe I shouldn't discount them. But, of course I was also concerned that all these owners were trying to get rid of their birds because they couldn't handle them. Pete sounded like a good boy who was in his home for nearly 3 decades. I figured that was a good sign that he was a nice bird, and he is.

When Merlin starts doing all her imitations, he just laughs and laughs, and I start laughing really hard as well. And he and I have our own amazon language that we speak to each other. He has been very gentle and rather gentlemanly so far.

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
i think thats wonderful that pete changed you. i used to be terrified of amazons, to this day i have never held one, but i love them. i guess i havent found one that seems to want to be held but they love it when i come and feed them at the pet store and talk to them. they just seem like they want to be your best buddy and are so smart and funny plus they seem so loyal. this forum changed me allot, now i would like and amazon (a mealy) in the future :)

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
He really did. A Mealy would probably be a nice bird for you. I guess avoiding the Hot 3 is a good idea if you are scared of amazons like I was.

As it turns out though I still haven't met a Quaker who likes me. I thought the one at the vet liked me, but they said no, she wants to stalk certain people, and you are one of them! When I was there the second time with Pete, the little thing truly did stalk me. Every time I turned around, no matter what room I was in, there she was. She chewed on my coat, then my shirt and finally kept attacking my shoes.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
You have not met a stalker, until you've met a U2 stalker! Now...THAT'S a stalker!!

Now that would probably be quite frightening! At least a Quaker couldn't really hurt me, lol! And Pete thought it was very funny that she was attacking my feet. He kept laughing about it. The vet assistants would come shoo her away, and one minute later she would be back again. I bet when I take the birds back for their check up, she finds me as soon as I walk through the door again.

Most Reactions

Latest posts