An update on Cookie.....

Phlox

Jun 16, 2014
She doesn't look nearly as bad as I thought from the description and she doesn't look miserable or uncomfortable. She doesn't look perfect, certainly, but I think she's got lots of happy parrot time in her. I'm with the others -- it doesn't look like time to give up to me.

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
I'm with Phlox here. She does not look anywhere near as bad as I expected. I think there is a good chance to turn this around or at least halt the deterioration. Maybe your A vet can offer you alternative treatments? Maybe the aloe vera treatment needs to go on for longer? A second opinion would not hurt either.

Sending you and your feathered friend good vibes tonight.

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
Oh please, don't give up on her! I have to agree with anyone else that she doesn't look as bad as you described. Her wonderful personality shines through in the pictures. Maybe you could try to find a REALLY GOOD vet and even travel a bit further to try to give her a second chance?

OP
Frumpydumple

Frumpydumple

Apr 21, 2013
Durham, UK.
Parrots
My birds: Skyler/Sky, violet Indian Ringneck. Mother's birds: Norman, African Grey and Mildred, Blue Crowned Conure.
Oh please, don't give up on her! I have to agree with anyone else that she doesn't look as bad as you described. Her wonderful personality shines through in the pictures. Maybe you could try to find a REALLY GOOD vet and even travel a bit further to try to give her a second chance?

I feel bad now, why does everyone think I'm going to give up on her? :eek: I wouldn't just give up on her after four years because that would be selfish. I would only give up if there is nothing else to do. I'm looking for other options, but she has had the best treatment she could get, there isn't much more that can be done.

I'm looking for a vet currently, but I don't think I will be able to take her anytime soon.

Thanks.

OP
Frumpydumple

Frumpydumple

Apr 21, 2013
Durham, UK.
Parrots
My birds: Skyler/Sky, violet Indian Ringneck. Mother's birds: Norman, African Grey and Mildred, Blue Crowned Conure.
I'm with Phlox here. She does not look anywhere near as bad as I expected. I think there is a good chance to turn this around or at least halt the deterioration. Maybe your A vet can offer you alternative treatments? Maybe the aloe vera treatment needs to go on for longer? A second opinion would not hurt either.

Sending you and your feathered friend good vibes tonight.

Thanks.

I read if the aloe detox is used for more than three weeks it can be harmful. That's the only reason why I stopped using it. I could start using it again, but it made no difference to her while she was taking it and it made no difference when she finished taking it. And I don't want to do any harm by giving her it again since she was taking it for over three weeks before.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Emily, please don't think that any of us are criticizing you or your decisions in any way. All of us that have followed this thread only want the best possible outcome for you and Cookie.

When I got her I never thought she would be so smart and funny. I also never thought I would like her so much. Four years with her might not seem like a long time, but it feels like she has always been here.
We read your words and they touched our hearts. We understand what a difficult experience you are going through. I'm sure no one is questioning your love for Cookie. We are here for you and from your posts and pics, we see reason to hope you and Cookie can be together for longer than you may think. Sometimes that's hard to see when you are going through so much emotional pain.

Several years ago, my family took in a very ill eclectus, after extensive tests, his vet told us there was no cure, but a lot we could do to make him comfortable. He was a very sad case. His liver was destroyed from eight years of long term starvation. The damage couldn't be undone but a prescription soft diet and various meds gave him the best eight months of his life. He made friends, learned new words, played and interacted with us. Everyone that met him, adored him and his last eight months were priceless.

OP
Frumpydumple

Frumpydumple

Apr 21, 2013
Durham, UK.
Parrots
Emily, please don't think that any of us are criticizing you or your decisions in any way. All of us that have followed this thread only want the best possible outcome for you and Cookie.

When I got her I never thought she would be so smart and funny. I also never thought I would like her so much. Four years with her might not seem like a long time, but it feels like she has always been here.
We read your words and they touched our hearts. We understand what a difficult experience you are going through. I'm sure no one is questioning your love for Cookie. We are here for you and from your posts and pics, we see reason to hope you and Cookie can be together for longer than you may think. Sometimes that's hard to see when you are going through so much emotional pain.

Several years ago, my family took in a very ill eclectus, after extensive tests, his vet told us there was no cure, but a lot we could do to make him comfortable. He was a very sad case. His liver was destroyed from eight years of long term starvation. The damage couldn't be undone but a prescription soft diet and various meds gave him the best eight months of his life. He made friends, learned new words, played and interacted with us. Everyone that met him, adored him and his last eight months were priceless.

Thank you.

I know everyone here cares, I just didn't want anyone to think I would just give up on her randomly. She probably just looks worse to me than to everyone else.

Thanks for the story. It gives me some hope.

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
I'm sorry that Cookie is suffering from poor plumage still :( But, like you said, she's still very happy and I have no doubt in my mind that you will continue to provide her with the best life possible.

We tend to be our own worst critics when it comes to the health of our fids, and we also take it out on ourselves. I know that you'd never give up on her, as we all do. We know how very much you love her and your fids! So don't be too hard on yourself for something you couldn't prevent. It's most definitely genetic considering how young she is and how soon she was affected, and there's very little we can do about it except love them and keep them happy, as you have been :)

Phlox

Jun 16, 2014
What about an aloe spritz on the outside on her feathers instead of having her drink it? Dilute it in water and use that for a spray bath. I know my GCC loves bath time.

Now, I wouldn't do this other bit without talking to a vet first, but if it seems to be due to excess oil from her preening gland, what about trying a really gentle soap to wash her, as they do for wild birds hit with oil spills and then see what happens?

I think both might actually work, but again, vet advice is probably a good idea.

Good luck to the both of you!

OP
Frumpydumple

Frumpydumple

Apr 21, 2013
Durham, UK.
Parrots
What about an aloe spritz on the outside on her feathers instead of having her drink it? Dilute it in water and use that for a spray bath. I know my GCC loves bath time.

Now, I wouldn't do this other bit without talking to a vet first, but if it seems to be due to excess oil from her preening gland, what about trying a really gentle soap to wash her, as they do for wild birds hit with oil spills and then see what happens?

I think both might actually work, but again, vet advice is probably a good idea.

Good luck to the both of you!

I've tried spraying her with aloe vera. It made no difference (or maybe even made her feathers slightly worse).

There's nothing wrong with the preening gland itself, she is just producing too much oil due to the problems with her liver, so I don't think soap would help. If I somehow managed to wash the oil off her feathers, she would just produce more.

Thanks.

FluffyYellowBird

Apr 14, 2014
Thanks for everyone's kind thoughts and help and advice. You are all really lovely and understanding on this forum, I really appreciate the support and kindness you have all given Emily.

faeryphoebe1

Feb 1, 2013
Media
San Antonio, Texas
Parrots
Trixie, Sunny & Gonzo♡♡♡
Is milk thistle for the liver? It has to be in a non-alcoholic solution for parrots. Have you asked your vet about this?

Also, I share fruit-veggie smoothies (from my Vita-Mix) with my fids about 3-4 times a week. Sometimes that's the only way that I can get green veggies into Sunny.

Their feather quality has improved vastly in the last year, since taking the seed completely out of their diets and providing gold or red bell peppers, carrots, strawberries and spring mix daily. I also throw in blueberries, blackberries or broccoli, depending on what I have on hand.

Their avian vet was truly impressed with their feather coloration and quality when they went for a visit in May.

Trixie eats Roudy Bush and Sunny eats Zupreem colored pellets. They get either birdie bread or veggie pasta daily.

Of course, these 2 don't have liver disease but those veggies & fruits may help your baby.

OP
Frumpydumple

Frumpydumple

Apr 21, 2013
Durham, UK.
Parrots
Is milk thistle for the liver? It has to be in a non-alcoholic solution for parrots. Have you asked your vet about this?

Also, I share fruit-veggie smoothies (from my Vita-Mix) with my fids about 3-4 times a week. Sometimes that's the only way that I can get green veggies into Sunny.

Their feather quality has improved vastly in the last year, since taking the seed completely out of their diets and providing gold or red bell peppers, carrots, strawberries and spring mix daily. I also throw in blueberries, blackberries or broccoli, depending on what I have on hand.

Their avian vet was truly impressed with their feather coloration and quality when they went for a visit in May.

Trixie eats Roudy Bush and Sunny eats Zupreem colored pellets. They get either birdie bread or veggie pasta daily.

Of course, these 2 don't have liver disease but those veggies & fruits may help your baby.

Yeah, milk thistle is good for liver disease, the aloe detox I was giving her had milk thistle in it. There is no alcohol in the aloe detox she was getting. The vet thought it was a good idea to give Cookie the aloe detox because it has lots of good helpful stuff in it.

She isn't a big fan of vegetables, but sometimes she eats some.
She likes fruit.
I rarely give her seed, I only use it for training.
She gets Harrison's pellets currently, but I'm going to convert her to Roudybush Rice pellets.
I give her a small amount of smoothie sometimes.
I've been thinking of making chop because I think that would be a big success with all the birds here. Vegetable smoothies are a good idea.

Thanks.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Awww Emily, you and Cookie are very fortunate to have each other. All your birds are lucky to have you.

Making chop is a great idea for all your birds. They may not show much enthusiasm at first, but I would be surprised if they don't change their minds.

OP
Frumpydumple

Frumpydumple

Apr 21, 2013
Durham, UK.
Parrots
Awww Emily, you and Cookie are very fortunate to have each other. All your birds are lucky to have you.

Making chop is a great idea for all your birds. They may not show much enthusiasm at first, but I would be surprised if they don't change their minds.

Thank you.

I've heard great things about it. I like how you can freeze it too.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
I only had one bird that dived right in to a bowl of chop, and she was young so she didn't realize she was supposed to hate it. My older rehomed birds didn't recognize it as food since it was brand new to them. My female quaker threw a tantrum every day for weeks, she rattled her food dish, threw her food at me, cussed me, (she came to us with a colorful vocabulary), and finally tasted the chop. All my birds run to their bowls every afternoon now to see what's on the menu. If your flock is stubborn, be persistent and keep trying different recipes until you find a winner.

OP
Frumpydumple

Frumpydumple

Apr 21, 2013
Durham, UK.
Parrots
I only had one bird that dived right in to a bowl of chop, and she was young so she didn't realize she was supposed to hate it. My older rehomed birds didn't recognize it as food since it was brand new to them. My female quaker threw a tantrum every day for weeks, she rattled her food dish, threw her food at me, cussed me, (she came to us with a colorful vocabulary), and finally tasted the chop. All my birds run to their bowls every afternoon now to see what's on the menu. If your flock is stubborn, be persistent and keep trying different recipes until you find a winner.

I'm not sure how stubborn the new bird is, but he has ate a little bit of everything so far and I don't think he has even been fed much variety.

Cookie will try food if I show her it and she eats a lot of things.

Merle/Burt isn't stubborn with food (he is stubborn about everything else though). So my birds generally aren't very stubborn with food.

My mother's birds are pretty stubborn though. Especially Erik. Erik barely eats fruit of any kind so it would be difficult to get him to try chop.

Most Reactions

Latest posts