anesthesia

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I bet she's just fine:) I think an x-ray would be overkill, and likely more of a risk than benefit. Sounds like you got her away from the smell/fumes quickly and that she probably didn't inhale any of the toxic non-stick fumes (though I'm sure burning plastic is great either). Birds do make weird little noises, and in a smaller bird a little sneeze or hiccup or whatever 'natural' noise may sounds a bit funny because it is so soft.

And trust me when I say, we ALL freak out and worry excessively over our birds health and safety. There was one day I just happened to come home from work mid-day to retrieve a thumb drive I had left and low and behold! The apartment matinence people were spraying pesticides EVERYWHERE outside. I flipped out. Kiwi was quickly "evacuated" and on his way back to work with me. Poor creature was taking a nap and had no idea what I came barging in at the wrong time of day throwing him in his travel cage and taking off with him for. My work wasn't all that amused when I showed back up with a freaked out parrot either. He spent the rest of the week at my mom's house. I think worrying about these special and delicate creatures is just part of owning them:)

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Typically, for long term damage to occur, there has to be long term exposure to a toxin. One time exposures to a toxic substance typically create an immediate acute reaction or cause no harm at all. For example, if you smoke a cigarette once or twice in your lifetime, your risk of getting lung damage from it is virtually non existent. If you're a pack a day smoker for 20 years, that's when you start developing "long term" problems. If a one time exposure to something potentially harmful didn't cause an immediate acute reaction, it isn't going to cause long term damage months after the fact either.

Even a tiny bird body can process a small amount of toxins if it's a one time exposure and not a lethal dose or lethal substance. Was this pan even made with pfoa/ptfe (which are the ones known to kill parrots)? When the pan burned, did she get sick at the time? I think if she never got sick in the first place from the burnt pan and seems fine now, she probably is fine:)

Yes. I completely agree here. Not saying to throw caution to the wind of course, but my Robin is 20 year old living proof that the above is true :54:. He's gone through LOTS of things that weren't "ideal" as you can imagine in the span of 20 years, and thankfully nothing was ever 'enough' to cause acute symptoms or death. Although nowdays I worry a lot lol.

Last edited:
OP
J

jmelyn210

Mar 15, 2015
Northern New Jersey
Parrots
Mabel - Green Cheek Conure
what do you guys think of cleaning supplies? Is it enough to remove the bird from the room/area you are cleaning?

We have a lady who comes and cleans every other week. I move my bird upstairs into my room and close the door. I check on her throughout the day and the room i move her to never smells of the chemicals. i dont bring her back downstairs until the smell goes away.

Most Reactions