Angery Bird I Think

BeemersMomma

Dec 11, 2011
I am still having issues with my YNA she is 11 or 12 in the mood to mate so I understand the hormone thing but the crazy stuff she dose when I get home has me stumped.. I work all day and most days she is alone but sometimes my hubby is home (she hates him for no reason she is a man hater) when I get home she is real happy to see me and I talk to her do a few chores then I let her out now I only play with her for a min because I know a bite is coming when the feathers on her head stand up better get her to the cage or their will be blood.. I have to put her back in her cage I cant let her play on the top of her cage she will just climb down the side of it and try to walk around the house I was told that is not a good thing to let them do so I put her in the cage and the screaming starts and no matter what I do she will not stop but if I move her to a room where we never sit in she will stop screaming but they say its not good to put then away from the house activity.. She just started this in the last few weeks the screaming is so loud I am happy we live in the country or I am sure the cops would have been called a long time ago.. So should I move her in a room away from us??? will it harm her?? I just want her happy

lizardsmells

Dec 2, 2011
Eastern panhandle of WV
Parrots
Kazi - 13 yr old yellow nape amazon rescue
Are you sure Beemer is a girl? Female Amazons tend to get hormonal for a few days (and not generally aggressive) whereas males will get that way for a few months (and be pretty aggressive), so I wonder, if Beemer really is a girl, if this is hormonal or if she's just trying to communicate something to you.

If you're there to supervise, have parrot proofed, and don't live with any predators I don't see any reason why Beemer couldn't get on the floor and wander around. The birds at the rescue are free to do this 24/7. Kazi is not since we have dogs and cats. Does she have a training stand or play gym she can be on when not in her cage?

Does Beemer like her cage? If so she may be 'training' you to return her there by biting. Don't let her do this. You don't want her to learn that the way to get what she wants is by biting. Kazi was taught this at one point in time and we're having to deal with that now. He still bites when he wants something I'm not giving him fast enough. What it actually gets him is the opposite. So when Kazi bites me because he doesn't want to go into his cage when I leave to go grocery shopping, he goes in. When he bites me because I don't give him his almond fast enough, it gets fed to a dog in front of him. He's learning and has nearly stopped biting me entirely to get his way. For a couple of days I had to use a stick to get him up when he was feeling very strongly about getting his way, but persistence has paid off, so don't give up!

As to the screaming, she probably stops when you put her in the unfamiliar room because parrots are prey and they're not about to alert any predators to their existence. That being an unfamiliar room, Beemer doesn't know what predators may be lurking, so she's quiet, if you keep putting her in there eventually she'll realize it's safe and start screaming there too. She's likely screaming in her cage because she wants out or otherwise wants your attention. Do you do any face to face training with Beemer? That alone has helped my relationship with Kazi grow by leaps and bounds. Kazi and I spend about ten minutes a day working on our tricks. Kazi loves these training sessions and so do I. He gets to do something stimulating and fun and we end up working on communicating with one another at the same time. Plus the commands go a long way toward presenting a distraction should I need one. I just have to show Kazi an almond sliver and and ask, "Who wants an almond?" and no matter what he's doing he 'raises his hand' and gets the almond. He's distracted from whatever he was doing and it's all done on a positive note, so the bond is also strengthened.

I hope this helps!

Last edited:

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Well, if she is hormonal, being on the floor can allow her under furniture or other dark places which will further fuel the hormonal issues. And you may have trouble getting him/her back out. And of course you could step on her or shut her in a door not realizing she's right behind you.

You might get her a Parrot Tower or a tree or something she can be on, out of her cage, but where she can settle down. She may just be overly excited about your coming home, too. Overly excited amazons often bite, even the person they love. They just get too wound up and can't help themselves. If it has a tray that hangs out past the legs she shouldn't be able to climb down. My parrot tower is plastic so the birds can't get to the legs and even if they somehow managed, they wouldn't be able to hold on. They are not only slippery but much to large for them to hold onto in any way.

OP
B

BeemersMomma

Dec 11, 2011
At this point I am not sure about anything about Beemer the lady I got her from talked like she was a child but she also told me she was 6 years nold and had layed eggs in the past.... well a 6 year old amazon dont lay eggs I called her and then was told well she might be older than 6 she coud be around 9 I am not sure of anything. I did talk to a breeder and was told that the way she is acting she is a girl and in the mood for love. I had a old male YNA and I know how he acted when he wanted to mate and it is nothing like her. how do I try to train her to play games and stuff like that and what is a parrot tower do you have a picture?? can we build it??? i do need to get her out of the cage more but I gotta keep her off the floor I have 2 cats and the bird goes after them and they are scared to death of her no one told the bird to be scared of cats

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Oh, both my birds go after the cat and this is a large and very predatory cat, lol! They are well equipped to defend themselves with that "can opener" on the fronts of their faces.

There is a name brand play gym called Parrot Tower, and I have one of those, but yes, you can make one. You could use some lumber and add natural wood perches, or you could make one from a tree if you have a smallish one that would work. There are several commercial ones you can buy. And you can hang toys from the upper perches, and add food and water dishes.

I have a smaller table top play gym I made for my Nanday and those are available to buy as well though usually the table top ones are sized for smaller birds.

They are a good way though for a bird to be out of it's cage more without your having to hold it all of the time, especially when it's being hormonal.

If you google parrot tower or parrot play stand or parrot gym you can see some and get an idea of what you might like to buy or make.

Most Reactions