Another Conure Newbie

sabrecat666

Jul 20, 2011
Parrots
Guido - Jenday Conure, Nunzio - GCC and Kiwi - IRN
Hello all!

I am the proud parent, and hopefully friend, of Guido a Jenday Conure, the conure in my profile picture no less :)

I have some questions about taming / training my potential friend. First a little background about Guido. I apologize if this is way to much information, but I am not sure what is relevant and what may not be.

I purchased him from a local petshop that was bought out by a competitor. Guido was part of that purchase. As a result I dont know exactly how old he is, although the petshop and I believe him to be less than a year old and likely only 6-9 months old. He still has some green mottling in the yellow on his head and from what I have read that would indicate a juvenile jenday. The original owners claimed that he was hand fed as a chick. I am not so sure about that myself. I have had Guido now for about 2 months. I think that Guido is a male, however since Jendays are indeterminate without surgery(?) or dna testing that is only conjecture on my part.

Guido is in a cage 24 x 20 x 30. His cage is located in our family room right next to my computer desk where I spend a great deal of my time. He seems very happy in his cage. I have several perches in the cage at varying heights. He is able to get anywhere in his cage that he wants to. I have 2 rope and wood toys, a large toy designed specifically for ripping up ( I have heard that Jendays need toys to destroy ), a Pinecone that he loves to chew on, and a wicker bottle that I have put seeds into for him to destroy as well. He is fed Kaytee Exact feed ( I think.... Cant remember exactly at work... ), and I supplement that with some raw sunflower seeds, peanuts, and some Avi Cake for treats. He also gets fruit a couple of times a week. His favorite at the moment seems to be apples.

When I first brought Guido home he wouldnt let us get near him at all. He acted absolutely terrified of us. After a few days he settled down some and after about 2 weeks I was able to hand feed him his treats without him being hesitant, or scared. He still moves away from my hand if I move it toward him without a treat in it.

Lately he has been acting less and less fearfull in general and of me in specific. Ive managed to train him at least a little. He know that when he rings a specific bell that he will get a treat. That bell rings a lot now :D. Around 2 weeks ago we let him climb out of his cage and play on top of it. This has now become a nightly ritual. His flight feathers have grown in some now and he is able to fly a lot better. Watching my daughters 'tiels fly around also may have contributed to his sudden flight proficiency. As a side note he seems to get along fairly well with the 'tiels but I am always careful to keep an eye on them when they interact with each other. Guido has never screamed for hours on end and when he starts to get loud just looking away from him and ignoring him gets him to quiet down. When ever he does this I am sure to reward him to try and reinforce that behavior. Things had gone on like this for the last month. It seemed I had stalled out making any more progress gaining his trust.

It seems like I may have made a breakthrough last night however. Guido was out of his cage and was constantly coming to the edge closes to me and staring at me with is head cocked, or while bobbing his head up and down. It looked to me like he was trying to make up his mind about me. Once he got tired of that he flew off the top of his cage to a chair back about 15 feet away. That was fine, I was just keeping an eye on him to make sure he didnt get into any trouble. When he was ready to go back to his cage, I had rung his treat bell and put a bit of Birdie Crack.... Errr Avi Cake in there for him. He flew toward the cage, but didnt quite have enouhg lift to get all the way there, so he instead landed on my shoulder. This surprised the heck out of me and I was shouting at the wife "Look at this!!! I guess he doesnt hate me after all!!" She of course was telling me to shut up so I dont scare Guido. He wasnt scared though. He just calmly walked around my neck to my other shoulder then hopped/glided down to the entrance of his cage.

The question I have for all you Conure experts out there is this. Am I doing the right things with my friend? Do I need to be doing more to encourage more personal interaction with him? If so what would that be? I am a real babe in the woods here. When my daughter got her birds they were already incredibly tame. I realize now that I have to be very patient with getting Guido to that same level of trust. Thats ok. Im willing to put in the effort because he's worth it.

Any help anyone can provide is immensely appreciated!

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Wow, um, well done on doing so well with him and congratulations on your new family member.

I honestly cannot advise anything, you seem to have everything spot on, just take your time and reward the wanted behaviour and ignore the bad (put him in the cage when he doesn't listen to "no", ignore when screaming etc).

Sounds like he's got a fantastic home, enjoy your time with him, seems like you guys are building a great relationship!

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
Congrats on your new friend! The only thing I thought I would mention is, is the kaytee exact feed all seed? If it is, you should switch to a pellet diet, and give seeds only as a treat because they are very fattening. Welcome to the forum! :)

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Congrats on your new friend! The only thing I thought I would mention is, is the kaytee exact feed all seed? If it is, you should switch to a pellet diet, and give seeds only as a treat because they are very fattening. Welcome to the forum! :)

I thought Kaytee exact was like, big colourful pellets?

Might be wrong, I only really know Harrissons/Zupreem. ^^

But yeah, pellets+fruit/veg. Otherwise I really can't think of anything that makes me go "gosh, no way don't do that!"

OP
sabrecat666

sabrecat666

Jul 20, 2011
Parrots
Guido - Jenday Conure, Nunzio - GCC and Kiwi - IRN

Thank you for the warm welcome! :)

The Kaytee Exact is pellets, multi colored. The seeds are intended as treats / training tools.

Something else that I have been doing that I forgot to mention. I had read that Guido would need to be bathed. To that end I provided a water dish that is intended as a bath dish. I also have been misting him with a squirt bottle, and he seems to LOVE that. He stays directly in the spray and bobs his head and chirps. I assume that this is ok for him since his species is native to a tropical area ?

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
Baths are definately great for our bird friends! :)

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots

Thank you for the warm welcome! :)

The Kaytee Exact is pellets, multi colored. The seeds are intended as treats / training tools.

Something else that I have been doing that I forgot to mention. I had read that Guido would need to be bathed. To that end I provided a water dish that is intended as a bath dish. I also have been misting him with a squirt bottle, and he seems to LOVE that. He stays directly in the spray and bobs his head and chirps. I assume that this is ok for him since his species is native to a tropical area ?

Most birds should get misted/bathed at least once a week, misting is great for the feathers and stopping them from like drying out and get scaly feet. :)

I wish Merlin enjoyed being misted. You seem to have struck some real luck with Guido!

Amber

Jun 1, 2011
Yay! Someone else with a Jenday! And other family members with cockatiels!

Only thing I can think of is be careful with the peanuts, they can carry nasty spores and things that are not good for our bird friends. Most people here feed a pellet diet as staple (I'm assuming thats what the Kaytee is) and fruit and veg and seeds as treats, so everything seems a-ok their!

I'll probably get chewed out for this, but I feed Alex a custom mix I make myself from scratch, which consists of 25% pellets 25% preservative free (or as close as can be) assorted dried fruit (apple, apricot, pear, banana, sultanas and mango usually) and 50% 'seeds'. I say seeds, but it's more a mix of traditional seed mix (sunflower, safflower, millet, rapeseed, etc, you know the drill) and crushed almonds, oats, cracked corn and other cereal/nut type stuff. Alex is not picky and eats it all, fruit seed and pellet without discrimination. Pickier birds would just eat the seed and leave the rest. This mix is in the cage 24/7. I chose to do this over a 100% pellet diet (mine is only 25%) due to my concern over the preservatives in some pellets being known carcinogens (yuck!) and that most pellets are designed as a 'total feed', in that they are a complete food, and 'diluting' the amount eaten by providing fruit and veg can result in less nutrition being taken in by the bird. Also more ethical concerns, how the pellets are produced and tested, where the ingredients are sourced, etc.

This is supplemented by daily fruit and veg (I dice up 3 days worth and keep in in the fridge to save preparing it every day) served at breakfast and at tea. the fruit and veg mix varies depending on what is handy, but usually it contains some or all of apple, pear, orange, mango, strawberries, carrot, peas, corn, capsicum (red bell pepper), celery, etc. Whatever handy and good for birds goes in. Since the mix changes every 3 days he doesn't get bored of it.

He also gets 'human food' if I am eating it and it is bird safe. He loves to steal a little of my yoghurt in the mornings, or have a bit of honey toast or some pasta or whatever. Small amounts is key though, just enough for a taste! He also gets sprouted seed and other goodies bi to tri weekly.

Most Reactions