Another day, another rescue.

OP
B

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
Goofy (YNA), Oscar (Goffin 'too). Foster bird Betty (RLA). RIP Cookie, 1991-2016 ('tiel), Leo (Sengal), Charlotte (scarlet macaw). Grand-birds: Liam (budgie), Donovan (lovebird), RIP Angelo (budgie)
He’s moderately well feathered. His legs, under who’s wings, and a bit of his chest are plucked but other feathers cover the plucked areas. The feathers themselves aren’t in the best condition. His tail is a bit ratty and he’s covered in cigarette smoke stains. He did let MrC give him a shower this afternoon and that’s starting to look better now too. A few more showers and he will likely have most of the stains off.

HEEDLESS

Supporting Member
Nov 9, 2018
Media
US
Parrots
Eclectus: SI. Vosmaeri
"KISE" She was born in Jan, 2018.
"Akashi" He hatched 07/13/2021.

Finished reading all posts here... GOD BLESS you my dear~ **HUGS**

What a kind soul/heart you have got in you~

Sydney will get a complete recovered in no time....

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Oh I’m so glad he’s found his way to you. Cigarette smoke stains? Grrrrr. What is wrong with people?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ToMang07

Jul 14, 2015
Maine, USA
Parrots
Willow the Umbrella Cockatoo
Good luck, I'm hoping to hear a positive diagnosis!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
B

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
Goofy (YNA), Oscar (Goffin 'too). Foster bird Betty (RLA). RIP Cookie, 1991-2016 ('tiel), Leo (Sengal), Charlotte (scarlet macaw). Grand-birds: Liam (budgie), Donovan (lovebird), RIP Angelo (budgie)
Small update. He ate his baby food and pasta breakfast okay this morning so for dinner I added a very finely diced chop to it. He’s a little weirded out by the chop but he’s tentatively eating it. I’m going to slowly shift the ratio of babyfood and chop, and I’m another day or two start phasing out the pasta. He’s also explored some fresh foods, but had only been brave enough to take a nibble out of ginger and apple.

OP
B

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
In very exciting news, Sydney threw his fresh veggies all over his cage this morning. I don't think he ate any of it, but his beak touched the food as he threw it, so this is progress and I am happy.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Absolutely, the ultimate insult would have been to totally ignore the fresh veggies.

OP
B

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
Update:

Sydney is doing better every day. My vet wound up recommending I give him a bath with baby shampoo to get all the nicotine stains off him, and he actually handled it pretty well. He looks much better, and he's not preening off so much junk any more.

His diet is improving by the day. He's on a big mix of fresh foods, baby food, pellets, a very fine chop, and just a few pieces of pasta now. He's starting to nibble almost everything before throwing it on the floor. Mint and basil seem to be his favorite green things, followed by green beans, bell peppers, and jalapenos. He's getting brave trying butternut squash, radish, turnip, and beets.

I may have a home for him. A friend who used to work for a large bird store local to me has some leads. He's such a sweet bird, but I simply cannot handle two cockatoos long term.

buurd

May 11, 2018
Parrots
2 Rosy Bourke's parrots
Bless you for taking him in. What a sweetheart! Something about cockatoos and the way they look at you, is just too damn cute. I wish I led a life where I could adopt a guy like Sydney <3

Most Reactions