Another rescue...it never ends!

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
I just need to vent my anger & frustration, so I'll thank you all for listening, in advance. A few months ago, a friend told me she was adopting 2 budgies. I thought that was great, and said I'd come over to see them, and clip their wings, etc. for her. Unfortunately our schedules are very different, and I haven't been able to get over there. The other day, she calls me and asks if I want the birds. As many of you know, I never turn down birds in need, so I said I'd take them in. She left them on her screened in patio for me to pick up. I didn't have my reading glasses when I got them, so I put them on my patio when I got home, and went inside to get my specs to give them a good lookover. These poor babies were covered with mites! Scaly feet! Scaly faces! It brought tears to my eyes!! One was dancing & twitching because its' poor feet were so being eaten up by mites. I couldn't bring them in my house and infect my flock. I have no quarantine area that's free right now. And I just paid $250 to the vet because one of my birds bit the toes of another. I cannot afford another vet bill. So, I brought them to the SPCA. They could not treat the birds unless I relinquished them to the SPCA. So, I did. Friends there tell me they are doing fine after being treated by the vet. And will go up for adoption in a few weeks after they're cleaned up a bit. I am SO mad that such a simple thing was allowed to get so out of control. I have not seen, or heard from, my friend. But, she will get an earful from me eventually! I was horrified. Though, I have seen much worse. I am just thankful that I was offered these birds, because I am probably the only person that she knows that would have recognized the problem immediately, and knew what to do for these little angels. And I know their new home will be with someone who will properly care for them. I'm sorry that I never got over there sooner, because they've had mites for longer than the few months that my friend had them. So, I'd have been able to get them help sooner. But, at least they're being taken care of. And, I may go back and adopt them when they're ready. Thanks for reading this. I feel better telling folks who understand, and appreciate, our feathered babies.

paulhanlon

Banned
Banned
Jun 10, 2012
Media
Newton aycliffe Co.Durham
Parrots
Jinx - Blue Fronted Amazon hatched 12.06.2012
That's horrid them poor birds the pain they must have being in your friend needs a right earful for letting something so little get so bad I'm glad you done the right thing and handed them over so they could be treated it does not matter how much we try to change the way people treat there pets there will always be the odd few who don't give a damn I'm sorry but that is shocking and has really upset me I'm glad they are in better shape now than what they were thanks for sharing your a good person for helping these birds out :)

OP
BillsBirds

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
My work in Animal Welfare & Rescue has taught me that people don't always see what is right in front of them. How many times have I removed a starving dog, cat or horse from someone who looks like they've not missed a snack? Or saved an animal from someone who claims they cannot afford vet bills, yet has so much gold jewelry? Time & time again, I've been in this situation. Healthy, happy animals never need rescuing. I've learned not to judge the people, just to help the animals. This woman is a neighbor and friend. She needs educating. That will also be part of my role in this matter. Though, I would like to hit her with a stick!

paulhanlon

Banned
Banned
Jun 10, 2012
Media
Newton aycliffe Co.Durham
Parrots
Jinx - Blue Fronted Amazon hatched 12.06.2012
All people like that need hitting with a stick if only it was legal maybe more people would look after there animals then but sadly that's not the case our days the rescues are filling up at a fast pace and soon we are going to end up with more rescues than we should have but thanks to people like us we are giving animals in need a new home and a new start in life

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
OMG.. Poor Birds!! Thank Goodness you rescued them when you did! She needs more than educating :( Bring on the Stick Bill lol

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
images

Here is Bill's Stick

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
Those poor little babies , such a shame. My question your friend is how could you not notice the poor things jumping around like I'm sure they were and not notice their scaly
faces and legs and that something is obviously wrong with them ??????

idk...could it be possible that this person noticed something was wrong and didn't want to deal with it ? I know this is a friend of your Bill , but still.....first she wanted to adopt them and then she doesn't want them ?

Parrotmamma

May 2, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Crackers ~ a Green cheek conure , Cosmo~ a Timneh African Grey
Those poor little babies , so glad you could help them . you did a great thing : )

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Thankyou for helping them, it breaks my heart to see any of natures babies in pain. I'm glad to hear they're doing better, I can just imagine the relief they must be feeling to be free from all those mites.

Adinafloyd

Jul 8, 2012
Slaughter, La
Parrots
Jax (CAG)
Scarlet (Ekkie)
Toot (TAG)
(YNA-Nappy, Gone but never ever far from my heart)
Could you beat her with a stick THEN educate her? Do it in public so maybe other people who are oblivious to the needs of pets can maybe learn something too?

Most Reactions

Latest posts