OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
HAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

Quick, mum i don't feel well, your car is too slow, we need to call the ambulance instead ;)

It is a bit of a deep cut, a bit gooey, but only about 10-15cm long.. So not too bad!

Not lame, i will let him rest for a few days just to make sure he didn't sprain his legs or twist them.. But he appeared to be ok!

He is like me, very strong bones.. We don't break easily haha

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
GEEZ Tab! That's disgusting! Because of the long grass and the lack of warning, you effectively fell into a booby trap! If you'd been going at speed (which you would if the weather had been good), Kyros could have broken a leg, or you could both have been killed. I'm not joking. If I were your Mum, I'd be following this up to find out exactly who was responsible for safety on the day and making sure a lot of wrists were slapped at the very least.

Yes, in cross country you're supposed to take what comes and negotiate the landscape, but you're NOT supposed to intuitively know where booby traps are placed. What if you'd been a twelve-year-old or an eight-year-old? It's chilling to think what might have happened, especially in wet weather. As it is, Kyros could still get an infection or pull up lame tomorrow. So could you (so be careful).

Was it a Pony Club event? I'm assuming young riders were involved because of the height ranges of the jumps. If that's the case, your Regional or State Instructor should be informed so s/he can discipline the course builder or the safety officer. If it was an adult riding club or PC associates, A-J should still complain and ask for an explanation.

I think it would be a shame to retire Kyros from CC because of this one shoddily-run day. Yes, he's a great big Hanoverian, but he's also a powerhouse. What he lacks in agility and grace, he makes up for in power and acceleration. Whether you retire him or not, you should still try and take him calmly across that course again, just for his own confidence. In fact, it would be nice if the PC offered you the chance to do it privately as compensation for your accident. It's not good for a horse's confidence to fall like that so early in his career and A-J could mention that next time she's speaking to them.

In the meantime, give the big boy an apple from Aunty Trisha and tell him I think he's a hero. And you look after that head of yours! Your poor mother must have been beside herself! (You can give her an apple too, if you'd like...) :D

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
There were two woman who were like the head people of the day, they organised all the paper work, and were at the starting gate with the sheets.... and they didn't even get out of their chairs when it happened -_- They could see as well...

Cause the section it was at was like 500m after the start gate, but we had done a big loop, so we were just across the yard from where they were... and we were right next to the warm up area with like 30 people!

It is probably lucky that Kyros is so big, imagine a little 10hh pony, he would of fallen alot worse than a big horse who took up more room!!

There were a few young girls, probably about 8 years old, then a few young teenagers around 12-15.. and the rest were all older!

and yep, it was a pony club event! :eek:

Kyros is ok this morning, did his lovely sweet neighs when he saw me! The cut has dripped a bit of goo over night but he isn't sore!

My legs are covered in bruises hahaha

I still haven't decided if i even like cross country ;) The jumps are too unsafe for my liking at the moment.. and i have never enjoyed riding down hills.. Up? I love.. But even as a child i hated going down hills :eek: haha I don't think i will ever be the person to gallop up and down a cross country course :eek:

I like showjumping, because although it is dangerous, it is very controlled.. You have an arena, and you have big jumps, but those jumps easily knock down if you hit them !

This is the first time i have ever fallen off at a competition -_- haha

Last edited:

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
I wouldn't like fixed jumps. Nuh-uh. Immovable objects and moving objects do not mix, especially a beloved "pet".

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Yeah see that is probably my problem.. I know most riders love their horses.. But my 3 horses and Fargo are my LIFE, there is nothing i love more than them.. I don't have friends, i have Kyros.. So i probably care too much about him to want to put him in danger of a cross country field

I care about my animals health more than my own :p

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Tab, I am so glad that you and Kyros are alright! It is inexcusable that you both were hurt at all because of their negligence:(
I hope your Mom gets a huge apology from them, and that You and Kyros are back to normal quickly.

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Thank you Terry!!

Mum did get these photos before we went to line up..

It had been lightly raining all morning... About 15 minutes before i rode it started pouring down..

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Was just cleaning his gear and found his white hind boot which was the same leg as he has his cut on, has a slice in it :/ As if i got a knife and just cut it o_O

There must be something in the ditch which cut the boot and his leg ?

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
Lucky he had the boot, otherwise the cut could have been deeper into his leg....

I know what you mean about your animals. I'm the same.

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
It's lucky he wears big boots ;) Most people use just open front jump boots which are thin and light...

But he has very strong expensive boots which cover all around his leg :p Not usually the main type, but better to have more protection than less haha

They don't bend either, so probably helped keep his legs strong and straight when he fell!!

Most Reactions