another wee little baby....awww!

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
to make a long story short, one of my customers called me this morning. She informed me that her mama canary had abandoned her 10 day old baby, and had not been fed in almost 24 hours. she had been keeping it warm, under a lamp, but knew nothing about feeding it.
(I had bred and raised her mama canary that she purchased from me)

I offered to come and get the baby canary and she was thrilled.

I packed up my items for the drive. I brought a hot water bottle, in a large plastic container, 3 towels, an eye dropper, and electrolytes.

After the 45 minute drive, I arrived at her school, she is a kindergarten teacher.

After checking over this little tiny canary, it seemed not too bad off. It still had energy but was in need of food immediately. I gave it some electrolytes from the side of the beak, and it took it very well.

when I arrived home, I fed the wee one immediately.

It's now tucked in a nice warm brooder, with a full tummy.

this one is 10 days old and needs to be fed every 1-1.5 hours:eek::eek:
truly a joy and a once in a lifetime experience:D:D:D:D

here are some pics:

IMG_1132_zps347bc7fe.jpg Photo by bmckellar735 | Photobucket

IMG_1128_zpse2d9a3b2.jpg Photo by bmckellar735 | Photobucket

IMG_1126_zpsa3f4e04d.jpg Photo by bmckellar735 | Photobucket

Devann

Aug 2, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Vino - Alexandrine, Spot - Congo African Grey
Awwwwwwww!!!!!!! So sweet! Enjoy your new baby! I'd love to learn to hand feed and have the opportunity one day :)

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
Karigan, you make me crack up!

thanks everyone, I so wish I could keep him, but the owner wants him back.

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Awwwwwwww!!!!!!! So sweet! Enjoy your new baby! I'd love to learn to hand feed and have the opportunity one day :)

Devann, your only 10 minutes away, my door is always open.

Peeker

Feb 10, 2013
Parrots
Jax-Eclectus
Tina-Eclectus
Ruby-Eclectus
Aww how cute! I got to handfeed a tiny canary a few years back. It was such a unique experience. Then when it fledged and landed like a cotton ball on my shoulder I was amazed! Have fun!

chippy

Feb 16, 2013
Parrots
2 Indian Ringnecks, Tiki (DH's) and Pippin (mine), 1 lovebird, Gemma (DD's) and 1 in birdy Heaven... RIP, Wilbur.
Oh, my goodness, how CUTE!!!
:D

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
What cute baby!!! Good luck raising him, he's in good hands :)

Most Reactions