Another "what should I get" + compare these two species

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Hello All!

Been doing some seriously intense research into possibilities for new birds, and have been reading the forum for a couple days . I could use some suggestions. I do have experience with parrots, having owned a red-throated conure for a number of years and numerous parakeets before then. My BF and I are looking to buy in the next couple months, but we don't know if it'll be a town home/condo or a single family home, or if it'll be just another apartment. It could probably be a year or two before I get a bird, so am taking advantage of the time lead to REALLY do some serious research on the right kind of bird for me and my situation. Heres some of the criteria I'm looking for

1. Non-one person birds (I do understand this can be a socialization issue, but some are more incline to be one person birds than others). This bird will be living with not just me but my BF as well, and hes not a bird person so if he has to live with a bird, I'd like to make it as pleasant an experience as possible.

2. Something about the size of an amazon, give or take. I like the heft I feel when I pick up a medium sized bird.

3. Capable of being left alone for 10-11 hrs a day and be fine with it.

4. Noise isn't that big a deal, my BF understands that "if you have a bird you have to expect a certain amount of 'chirping'" [his words]. But serious screechers like Sun conures/macaws/cockatoos need not apply since, again, its living with a non-bird person.

5. Allergies are somewhat of an issue, so low feather powder/dander production is important (I'm aware birds in general aren't great for allergies but know birds like Greys are among the worst for allergies).

I think I've narrowed it down, and was also hoping you all could give me
real life experience-based compare/contrast of the following, and if you think they'd do well with me:

1. Blue Crowned Conure (chunky, which i like. quiet for a conure)
2. Blue Headed pionus (smaller? than BCC? but capable of independence and less likely to be one person birds)

I think I've narrowed it down, but am open to hearing other suggestions!:) Thank you all in advance for your help! Sure appreciate it! I'm running into a wall with internet research, and I need to start talking to people who can sift through the generalities often posted out there.

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
Those are good choices, another one for your criteria might be eclectus parrots (less feather dust, good for allergies).

However point number 3 could be trouble for any bird. Would this be a 'normal' day, or do you mean they'd be okay with that occasionally? Nearly any parrot would be okay with that occasionally - almost no parrot would be okay with that daily.

caliopi

Jan 30, 2010
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot
King Parrot
No way I could leave my Eclectus home for even 8 hours every day. I usually leave him home for one day a week on his own and he is fine with that in fact I think he actually enjoys the quiet but on the odd occassion when I have left him home more than one day due to being out at appt's all day he is cross when I return and lets us know he is not happy. I can't imagine any pet liking being alone all day everyday let alone a very social pet like a parrot.

OP
chris-md

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Thanks you two :) For #3, it'd be daily. Heres the two scenarios that could come up:

1. I'll be going to graduate school starting this fall (assuming I'm accepted), and with that on top of my evening job-part time retail-there are some days, not every, where I'll only be home a couple hours a day.

2. Wind up getting a bird after school, in which case i'd have a regular 8-5 job. Out the door at 7, not home til 6 or so.

I had considered an Eclectus, but there was something recurring that came up, their tendency to get nippy and moody, like Amazons. Is this a bit overblown, or is there a lot of truth to it?

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
I leave my TAG alone for 8 hrs. 3 days per week. While I am gone she does nothing. No eating, drinking or playing. If I were gone more than this it would effect her health. It is good that you are thinking about this ahead of time. Parrots left alone for long hours a day do not do well. They are flock animals and need others flock members which ends up being humans in the captive bird world.

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
I live alone and do work "full time" or more as a graduate student. But getting home to spend time with Auggie is always a priority.

I occasionally have long days. Friday I left by 7am and was in the lab until 10pm. But that was not an ordinary day.

You're going to grad school and working another job? What are you going for? Don't they have TA-ships?

OP
chris-md

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

thank you very much for that link, Antoinette. That's the best "tell it like it is" article I've read thusfar. Especially for amazons. Fortunately I'm not looking at those upper parrot eshelons. More work than I can do. That's why I'm looking hard especially at the blue headed pionus. They seem to be able to take being alone very well since they are independent, quiet, and they are incredibly gentle with multiple people.

You're going to grad school and working another job? What are you going for? Don't they have TA-ships?

they will, wherever I go (still applying). TA or GA, dependig on the program I do. But it's not going to be enough. Most likely $18k/year, and I'm gonna need more than that to be comfortable financially. DC is not an overly affordable place to live! :-/

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
eclectus are actually quite gentle while the famales make exellent pets they tend to be a little moody and nippy, but the males are very gentle but bith can be very loud and all parrots need lots of attention.10-11 hours a little too much for and eclectus though i admire how your planning ahead and taking itso seriusly, hope this helped hood luck :).
btw blue crowned conures can be very loud also. i think your right about the pionus ;)

JensFlock

Jul 31, 2011
South Carolina
Parrots
Eclectus,
Blue Crowned Conure,
Quaker,
Lineolated Parakeet,
Diamond Dove,
Star Finch,
Spice Finch
I would go with the blue crowned conure or the eclectus. I have one of each and they are both wonderful. They talk like crazy (real sentences) My guys aren't screamers at all. They have their few minutes of day of flock calling, but it's not that bad.
I live in a one bedroom apartment with 4 parrots, so noise is a big issue for me.
I also work full time, and my guys all know that's the way it is. They don't know any difference. They are with me when I'm home, though, and help me with everything I do....which makes it all take longer. I have been told that if you get an eclectus, get a male. That's what I have, and he is so sweet.

Most Reactions