Anxiety screaming?

alabasandria

Jun 17, 2013
You all were so helpful with my question about weight gain and cholesterol, I thought I'd ask for more help. Short story: I have a 38 yr old WFA named Buddy, he's been with me for 9 years. He's pretty vocal, meaning he screams a little at dawn and dusk and makes sharp contact calls if I leave the room or for a few minutes after I walk out the door. He's never been an excessive screamer, though.

Well, I just moved in with my boyfriend and his screaming has become very excessive. It's been about a month since we moved and Buddy's routine has been completely upended. Here are some basics:

Before, Buddy was normally out of his cage 24/7. He stays on the cage and has never moved off it since I've had him. I even trusted him out when I was not home. Now Buddy has to be in his cage most of the time, because my boyfriend has a young cat and we're still training the cat to leave Buddy alone. The cat and bird are separated when neither of us are home. When we're home, Buddy is out as much as possible.

Before, I had a schedule that kept me home all day at least two days per week, so we had a lot of time together. I currently have a 9-5 and it looks as if I'll be keeping that schedule. My boyfriend is often home though, and he lets Buddy out.

Buddy's also been waking up very early, around 6am whereas he previously would wake up around 8. I think it may be the sound of summer cicadas, but he begins screaming loudly at 6.

Right now he screams nearly every second that we're home. Whether we're in the room or not, whether he's inside or outside of the cage, whether the cat's around or not around. Whatever. The only time he seems to stop screaming is when we're not home or if my boyfriend is home but is very quiet. My neighbors have been very forgiving, but I don't want to wear out their patience. I can tell it's anxiety screaming and not normal vocalizing because he holds his wings out anxiously and all of his feathers are down tight against his body.

Here's what I've tried so far to remedy the screaming. I try to get him covered and put to bed at 8pm every night. I purchased a blackout curtain for his part of the room to help with darkening the space. When he wakes up I give him a shower and some out time with me as I get ready. When I get home I give him a second shower because he likes them and we've been having a heat wave. Repeat daily. I've tried exiting the room when he screams and coming back when quiet, but he will literally scream for hours. I've tried rewarding his happy vocalizations and ignoring the screaming, but it hasn't made a difference and we've been going for about a month.

I'm traveling for 3 weeks soon and Buddy will be staying with my dad and brother since my boyfriend really needs a break from the screaming (Buddy's stayed with them before).

Does anyone have any suggestions besides what I've already done? I know this is a lot of upheaval for a parrot so it may just be a matter of making the routine stick as much as possible. But I've moved with him twice before and this has never happened yet.

OP
A

alabasandria

Jun 17, 2013
Oh, I should mention that I furnished his cage with all of his favorite toys, knowing that he'll be spending more time in the cage than usual. So I don't think the screaming is boredom!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Wow, I'm sorry Buddy is testing your patience. :eek:

I honestly don't know WHAT could remedy the situation. Perhaps you could try moving his cage to a different location to see if that helps?

You said you got a room darkening blind. How about you also cover his cage, perhaps then he won't wake you up at 6AM?

Maybe he just hasn't adjusted to his new surroundings yet?

Does he play any games, or does he have any favorite activities? You could try tiring him out a bit.

Gees, I'm just grasping at straws, I think. :eek:

Pajarita

Banned
Banned
Jul 11, 2013
He is just not happy with the new living conditions and most likely, it's not only because of the change in schedule and home but also because he might regard your boyfriend as competition for your affection -he is feeling very insecure and letting you know.

The only way this will get better is trying to keep things as they were before and introducing the changes gradually and not all at once. But if he is a male and deeply bonded to you, it might not work out, male zons are VERY possessive of their mates.

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
Since his life has been turned upside down I would try and make a time for just you and him. Maybe when you get home in the evening an hour or so when the two of you do something like play a game/train, cuddle/preen.
His routines have been disrupted and you need to establish new ones, he needs to know he is still important.
Also try and find things that the 3 of you can do together.
And exercise and burning off excess energy is also helpful.

These things take time, just work more with him not less.

Most Reactions

Latest posts