Any Nanday conure owners here?

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
Hi,
I saw a very nice Nanday conure at out local pet store yesterday. (I wonder what day of the week is Nanday?) LOL They are pretty rare in our area. He was much bigger than our gcc and had a longer beak. His eyes were so warm and kind as well as seemed his whole being - even my hubby was impressed. He wasn't socialized well and the staff didn't know of his age or gender. When they opened the cage he came right away and grabbed my finger (I was expecting a bad bite), but he didn't put any pressure and was just exploring it. When he pressed a bit harder I said "Ouch!" and he ran away, and then came back. :) I'm not sure if we are getting him or anything - just wondering what kinda pets they make and how different are they from gcc-s. Of course I did my online research "homework" already - I just want to hear some personal stories. He seemed kinda "special" bird - I've seen many pet store birds and usually they don't catch my attention (except Parry). :)

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
I have a Nanday .Shes nothing like my other conures for being a conure. Shes a sweet bird . I had to be real patient and slow with her at first . She was living in a garage and very underweight when we got her. We have won her over [as I said very sweet bird].

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Fred - 2(?) y.o. Cockatiel, Ginger - 3 or 4(?) y.o. Cockatiel
Hi,
I saw a very nice Nanday conure at out local pet store yesterday. (I wonder what day of the week is Nanday?) LOL

Nanday is the day after Jenday:09:

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I know a few people on regularly have a Nanday. "weco" has one, hopefully he'll see this.

They are one of my favorite birds to look at (gorgeous in person) though I've never had a conure.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
I saw this thread earlier, browsed it & got to doing something else.....

I have had several nandays, all re-homes for one reason or another...the first nanday I got was owned by a neighbor, who'd found her living in a chicken coop when she stopped at a yard-sale...she had laid 3 eggs & would open her beak & challenge my neighbor, so she got scared & started using an oven mitt to change water & food dishes, so she asked me if I was interested in her.....because she was on eggs, I waited another week before I picked her up, even though I was sure they were duds, just didn't want her to trash/eat her eggs if I moved her.....

Because I didn't have a regular birdsitter at the time, I was doing more fostering temporary birds than increasing my flock, but when my neighbor got home the next evening, I put Judy inside my jacket & we walked down to their house & after we were inside, I unzipped my jacket & bough Judy out on my hand.....my neighbor & her grandson couldn't believe it.....I've always thought that my neighbor had always been a bit afraid of her & Judy knew it & acted accordingly.....as I was travelling at that time, I ran across a nanday near Dallas, that was owned by a college student who faced eviction if she didn't get rid of her nanday, even though she'd had the apartment manager's OK to have the bird, until new neighbors complained about the noise, so I sent one of my employees from Houston to Dallas to pick up Reno a 2yo nanday she'd had since he was 6mo.....he came back home with us when we finished the Houston project.....he had a couple dozen words in his vocabulary & I think he enjoyed being with my flock.....I didn't quarantine him because he came with a vet certificate only two months old.....though I wasn't planning on breeding, I caged Judy & Reno together...birds of a feather type thing.....

Several months later, I was woken by a big disturbance from my flock and found Judy & Reno in attack mode at 3am.....Judy had been bitten by a brown recluse spider & I'm pretty sure Reno killed it because I found several leg parts but no body...anyway I lost Judy & the following year Reno's previous owner had graduated & taken a job in North Carolina and wanted to stop by to see him...she did & Reno got so excited Reno left with her to their new home.....

I currently have a nanday & sun pair that were an item before they took up perches here, but of the nandays I've cared for, they've all been fun birds.....

OP
veimar

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
Are they really THAT loud? :) Like compared to big cockatoos? Do they scream often? I listened to them on youtube and imagined that 10 times louder, but it didn't sound too horrible to me. The one in the store was quiet like a mouse. :) Is there a way to figure out their age at least approximately when they are adults? I know how to distinguish a juvenile from adult.

Jessie

Sep 21, 2014
Florida
Parrots
Nanday(Rio) Approx. born April/2013
I have a Nanday Rio who I absolutely LOVE!!!! He is very needy and I'm still working on that with him. He wants to be out of his cage 24/7 and when he sees me coming into the room he screams to come out, he's in the living room which I think is the best place for him because he would be miserable not being around his flock(my family dogs included😄😄 ). You have to be ready for the noise because they are loud! I watched videos on YouTube as well and they don't even compare to when your Nanday gets going. But I would put up with his noise any day of the week because he has the greatest little personality. When I'm not paying attention to him he will do the silliest things to get my attention. He loves to tease the dogs as well (even though he knows that's bad). Hope this helps :) Also be aware of the 'honeymoon' phase. When I first got Rio he was quiet and didn't make much noise at all. I figured I got lucky with a well behaved quiet Nanday. That lasted all about two weeks maybe less. It was like day and night, all of the sudden he was loud and super active and flying everywhere(I don't clip his wings). Once he realized we were nice people and nothing was going to hurt him he let loose. So just because the Nanday your looking at is quiet now be aware that may not be the case two weeks from now. I hope you decide he's the bird for you cause they really are amazing birds, there are to many unwanted nandays in the world.

Most Reactions