Any other birds say one thing for food and another for drinks?

BriansAWildDowner

Jun 17, 2014
Denton, TX
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure named Raku
I haven't heard of other birds doing this, but when Raku wants food he says his name. But when he wants some of my drink he makes the sound of drinking. At first I thought it was maybe the sound of the ice in the glass, or maybe the bubbles in fizzy drinks (I only give him sparkling waters with no caffeine or sugar), but I finally realized it was just sorta mimicking what it sounds like when he's drinking.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
It's actually not all that unusual.

For Maggie, all food items are cracker, and all drink items are water. She also uses the phrases "Is that good?" and "Want some?" in context...

My CAG will ask me, "are you thirsty?" when he wants something I'm drinking. Why? Because that's what I asked him when I offered him treat cups with juice in them. He learned it in context. Tusk also uses "is that good?" and "Want some?" In context. BUT he also takes it a step further. If I'm eating bread, or a sandwich, he will say, "Want some bread?" He says "Who wants a French Fry?!" any time he sees you eating one. And he also says "Wanna chip?" So he clearly associates the words and the favorite food products.

Kiwi actually came out and said "Can I have some water?" and then said "Thank you." when she finished drinking. I didn't teach her that. My guess is she learned it from watching her previous humans... or perhaps they taught it to her.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Raven hasn't asked for water, but when his fresh dish comes he automatically says "vegetable". So I say, "Raven, what's this?" he says "vegetable" lol.

BUT... I don't know for sure if he's associating the vegetables with the word, because to Raven, "vegetable" has a double meaning... He also says "vegetable!!" in his meanest voice when he postures and becomes territorial (I'm touching his dish to give it to him). Or he mimics a cough. When he comes at you saying vegetable or coughs, you better keep your fingers clear LOL. He's a silly guy.

Piasa

Jan 12, 2016
USA Nomad
Parrots
Beau 20 year old male Green Cheek || Jimmy Bullet 17 year old female white cap pionus parrot
Beau green cheek has a noise for food, the sound of a spoon off the side of my bowl. He does this when he wants to share.

He also has a trickling water noise, but kinda like Raven above (!!! That is so cute/ornery!), it's not really related to asking for a drink. He makes it when he hears water from the faucet, but also when he's feeling vicious. Foot toys get repeatedly shoved into the water bowl with the trickle noise, then kicked and flung around. Finger pokey ex-boyfriends also know this as the "trickling blood" noise, muahahah!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Raven hasn't asked for water, but when his fresh dish comes he automatically says "vegetable". So I say, "Raven, what's this?" he says "vegetable" lol.

Pecker had two choice words for vegetables when I first got her and changed her diet on her... She said "F@#& YOU!" Then she picked them out of her bowl and threw them at me! :D

That was actually one of those moments I wish I had gotten on video...

Most Reactions

Latest posts