Any safe scents?

BirdSquawk

Aug 21, 2012
Parrots
Jack- 5 year old pacific parrotlet
I love having natural scents like pine boughs in my house during the winter months. Are there any other bird safe plants I could use during the rest of the year? Also, ( and I know this is hoping for a lot), are there any all natural candles, or kinds you can make at home?

SparkkiSparkS

Nov 14, 2011
SC
Parrots
2 Plum Heads. Indian Ringneck. Hahns Macaw <3
Have you ever heard of Scentsy? They have electric warmers, and wax "bars" you can put in them. All safe and food grade paraffin wax. I've been using it for a long time, and recently started selling it. Never had any health problems with my birds. :)

DallyTsuka

Mar 19, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Dallas and Tsukasa (Cockatiels)
Mango and Munchlax (Peach Faced Lovebirds)
i've been told by a scentsy seller that it WASNT safe for birds...

i myself boil up a pot of water with lemons, oranges, apples, cinnamon, and vanilla beans. sometimes i mix certain ones or just plain... recently we got some buddha finger fruit and have used that. natural bird safe smells that smell lots better than artificial scents, spreads an even smell around the house, unlike artificial sprays like fabreeze ;)

my favourite to mix are apples and cinnamon, and cinnamon with vanilla bean!

SparkkiSparkS

Nov 14, 2011
SC
Parrots
I don't see why it wouldn't be.. I looked into it a lot before I got it, and that's half the reason I sell it now.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
lol my room often smells like eucalyptus because of Rosie, the fresh branches have a fairly strong smell and are bird safe. I love the smell, but not everyone will.

Are the reeds in oil bird safe?

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
Wet dog is safe. Stinky dog farts too. Believe me, our dogs have helped us do extensive research in this area.

OP
BirdSquawk

BirdSquawk

Aug 21, 2012
Parrots
Jack- 5 year old pacific parrotlet
Thanks for the responses! I will definitely try boiling some fruit, once it's boiled, can I feed it to birds? I've been looking for a new houseplant, maybe eucalyptus is a good way to go.

DallyTsuka

Mar 19, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Dallas and Tsukasa (Cockatiels)
Mango and Munchlax (Peach Faced Lovebirds)
i dont think there is much point to feeding it after being boiled, it will have practically no nutritional value from the boiling. plus, to get the best smell, its best to boil it on low for a long period of time :)

as to the scentsy, the person who told me who sells it, i trust her word over anyone. if she says its not safe, i will not risk it. its the chemicals used to make the fragrance, not the method of heating. after all, there are air fresheners that DONT burn that aren't safe for birds either. you know, those car ones and things like that?

often, exposure to most scented products isnt an instant death thing. instead prolonged exposure often results in various breathing problems such as asthma or even infection and even pneumonia--which kill. its consistent use over time that's more of a problem than the risk of dropping dead instantly (which can still happen! ive been on a forum where a bird had dropped dead from one of those glade plug-ins the owner had used not knowing it wasnt safe)

natural scents like from fresh branches and boiling fruit is the safest. you guys who get eucalyptus trees.... you are all so lucky :D

SparkkiSparkS

Nov 14, 2011
SC
Parrots
If you don't trust Scentsy, then by all means don't use it! I was just letting my experience with it be known. There are no harmful chemicals in, or wax released into the air. As a consultant, I have access to all information on ingredients.

Most Reactions

Latest posts