Crochet Toys

Spacey'sMom

Aug 24, 2022
Parrots
2 Budgies!
Hello all,

So I've been learning how to make a lot of different things using crochet ie potted plants. My hooligans love getting into my plants so I've placed them where they can't reach them. I'm wondering if I use jute cord to make different objects and toys, are there any possible concerns?

I also want to see if average food coloring dyes you pick up at stores are safe or if I need to special order something for it.

Picture is a flower made of yarn. I want to make things like this using jute cord.

Thanks!
1000003632.jpg

pebbles1553

Nov 30, 2023
Media
Parrots
lovebird
hmm.. well i crochet and i gave some yarn toys to Pebbles, and everything seemed fine but her nails get trapped in the yarn.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Hello all,

So I've been learning how to make a lot of different things using crochet ie potted plants. My hooligans love getting into my plants so I've placed them where they can't reach them. I'm wondering if I use jute cord to make different objects and toys, are there any possible concerns?

I also want to see if average food coloring dyes you pick up at stores are safe or if I need to special order something for it.

Picture is a flower made of yarn. I want to make things like this using jute cord.

Thanks!View attachment 57801
Using Jute should be fine, but just make sure that they can't get their nails caught in it. I use food colouring from the store on all my toys, but I add it into a little 70% isopropyl alcohol. That helps them to dry a lot faster - just make sure to let them completely dry out before offering them to your birds:)

hmm.. well i crochet and i gave some yarn toys to Pebbles, and everything seemed fine but her nails get trapped in the yarn.
Please be really careful when using yarn - as you mentioned, their nails can get caught and I would also worry about whether the dye they use on it is safe for birds. I would be afraid to risk it:(

OP
S

Spacey'sMom

Aug 24, 2022
Parrots
2 Budgies!
I've found that my cockatiel just likes to pick them up and throw them. I'm thinking about making a mobile or something similar.

Most Reactions

Latest posts