Anyone having issues with conures and toilets?

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
So my White Eared Conure never really went into the bathroom, because it's quite small and the shower/toilet are separated(by a door) from the sink. However when I'm home and she's out of her cage she follows me everywhere and I think she's started to realize the toilet is full of her favorite thing.. WATER!
She tried to sort of dive down to it, but of course I(the meanie.) got in her way and shut the lid.

So I've already started keeping the lid down since it's easier than keeping the door shut.. but I was curious of anyone else has had this happen? I don't have dogs or cats so I never had a reason to worry about keeping the lid/door shut before.. Haha. Silly birdie.

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
I'm sure to a conure it looks like the best water bowl ever.

It's never a question to keep the lid up or down, for safety reasons it's ALWAYS down

I've heard of birds drowning from accidentally flying into the toilet.

OP
Sterling1113

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
Yeah, my bathroom is very isolated like I said and I'm pretty sure she hasn't even been in there until recently. So I never really thought about it, she doesn't like to explore where we can't see her lol.

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Boomer has a fascination for the toilet bowl too. He follows me even in my private moments so you can imagine how that can be sometimes. I second that you must always keep the toilet lid closed in a bird household.

OP
Sterling1113

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
Boomer has a fascination for the toilet bowl too. He follows me even in my private moments so you can imagine how that can be sometimes. I second that you must always keep the toilet lid closed in a bird household.

Haha I can understand that. And yes, it definitely stays closed from now on!

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries

yup, I can relate to this....some sit on my shoulder, others just hang out, either way I'm thinking ....omg....:rolleyes:

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
That is so funny. Gilbert is not at all interested in the toilet. He goes into the bathroom with me a lot--either to shower or just hang out when i'm in there. He is fascinated with the sink or shower (where he gets to bathe). He also loves the mirror. Only time that room is off limits is when i do my hair. (No blow dryers, no flat irons and no hair spray needs to be anywhere near him!)

I used to have a dog who, if he had to go potty and i wasn't around, went right next to the toilet. It was hilarious. He used to watch me pick up a poopie of his if he had an accident and go flush it. He started to just "put it there" for me. LOL As a chihuahua he couldn't go IN the toilet but next to it was pretty darn good. My other one jumps into the bathtub if i'm not home and he has to go. So bizarre, but smart these animals are. We never give them the credit they deserve. They totally know what's going on. haha

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Actually, it was a pond, and a swimming pool, never a toilet...

And the bird did the swimming pool TWICE!

He also used to obscessively try and bathe in Chardonnay, to the point of having to cover the top of your glass, and having the bird working on your fingers. (ONLY CHARDONNAY, MIND YOU! And he never tried to drink it, just chest first bathing in it...)

Put the lid down, and check twice before flushing!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I probably shouldn't bring this up, but it's on topic...

Actually none of mine seem to care about the toilet bowl, but they are all fascinated by the sight of me peeing!

Like climb down and have a closer look, with the eyes excitedly pinning... fascinated.

Remember, parrots cannot pee! SO, THIS SEEMS TO BE ONE OF THOSE, WOW! HOW DO YOU DO THAT?! SORT OF THINGS...

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Actually none of mine seem to care about the toilet bowl, but they are all fascinated by the sight of me peeing!

Like climb down and have a closer look, with the eyes excitedly ...

LMAO! It was for this reason that I now pee sitting down. I prefer it now because there are no mistargeted accidents or splatter effects. Ahh the strange things we do for these birds.

OP
Sterling1113

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
Hahah! Birdman, that's hilarious. For us women it's less exciting for the bird cause it probably just sounds like there's a faucet somewhere in that toilet that we're hiding from them.. Hah. Less to observe.
Very very curious indeed. Parrots are interesting creatures.

Most Reactions

Latest posts