Anyone know about or heard of HQ Cages?

Gburchett

Apr 9, 2013
Athens,Ga
Parrots
LILO - B&G Macaw
Was at a bird show today and saw some cages that were made by HQ. they looked to be built pretty good, but I don't know that I have heard of them before. I was wondering if anyone has heard of this this brand, if anyone has one, and what they think about them?

The one thing that I don't care much for is the fact that they are built in China. They are of course less money than the other brands.

How do they come pair with A&E and King Cages?

Thanks

Greg

ShellyBorg

Apr 8, 2013
Redding, CA
Parrots
TAG Spirit,RLA Danny,Senegal Damon, Parrotlet Opal, B&G Paris
I have a couple of the and the powder coating is holding up great. Oldest is 10 and no rust issue even in the TAGs cage who takes 2 baths a day in his water dish.

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
Senegal: Oliver ~~
Yellow-Sided GCC's: Bella and Zora ~~
R.I.P Tweeters the Cockatiel<3
Oliver has an HQ, it's great, light, and sturdy. I'm not sure when his former owner bought it, but I've had it go a year now. :) I love it!

OP
G

Gburchett

Apr 9, 2013
Athens,Ga
Parrots
LILO - B&G Macaw
Thank you for the responses so far. The price at the show seemed pretty good. 400 for a corner cage for a macaw. I don't have a bird yet so I'm still in the research phase. Just want to make sure that it will hold up. I don't want to buy a cage only to have the powder coating chip off, cage rust, bird break welds or bars, etc.

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
How wide is the cage your looking at ?

OP
G

Gburchett

Apr 9, 2013
Athens,Ga
Parrots
LILO - B&G Macaw
Pinky bird, it's a 40x40 and is about 60 inches in height. My wife said she thought she could probably stand in it.

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
I too went to a bird fair Saturday, but went to the one in Norcross out of Atlanta. I purchased a HQ bird cage from one of the vendors in January. I purchased a 40x30 dometop and am not happy with the quality of these cages.

I will share what I have noticed about my cage. The paint is very thin. The locks look good, but over the past 3 months the ones on the food cup doors have loosened up from daily use. There are sharp burrs around the welds. If you are seriously considering one of these cages, look carefully at the welds and rub your hands across them. Then look at your hands. It is possible that the sharp edges around the welds will lightly break your skin. If the cage does this to your hands, what will it do to your birds tongue and feet? After purchasing mine, I went back to both vendors there and discussed this. One doesn't care and the other is very nonchalant over it. He said to just chip off the burrs with a pocket knife. I have looked at all the different models on display and they are all built the same.

One of the vendors there used to sell Kings cages. I know because I purchased one from him when I got my macaw 12 years ago. I inquired why he switched brands. He said HQ cages are less expensive and he can sell them faster than a Kings cage even though they are inferior. It's all about the money!!!!

Most major brands of bird cages are made in China. I just purchased a travel cage which folds down for my amazon yesterday while at the bird fair and that too was made in China.

If you would like more information about HQ cages, please PM me. There is much more to say.

Last edited:

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Pinky bird, it's a 40x40 and is about 60 inches in height. My wife said she thought she could probably stand in it.
Thats fantastic !!! I can fit inside my macaws cage , I hooked alot of toys on top of her cage . Shes very content climbing in and out playing and entertaining herself. Sounds like the perfect cage. [Heads up ] Harlows by a window and has taken everything down on them . Curtains ,rolled up blinds she prefers nothing on her windows LOL:) Hows your Macaw search going ?

OP
G

Gburchett

Apr 9, 2013
Athens,Ga
Parrots
LILO - B&G Macaw
I too went to a bird fair Saturday, but went to the one in Norcross out of Atlanta. I purchased a HQ bird cage from one of the vendors in January. I purchased a 40x30 dometop and am not happy with the quality of these cages.

I will share what I have noticed about my cage. The paint is very thin. The locks look good, but over the past 3 months the ones on the food cup doors have loosened up from daily use. There are sharp burrs around the welds. If you are seriously considering one of these cages, look carefully at the welds and rub your hands across them. Then look at your hands. It is possible that the sharp edges around the welds will lightly break your skin. If the cage does this to your hands, what will it do to your birds tongue and feet? After purchasing mine, I went back to both vendors there and discussed this. One doesn't care and the other is very nonchalant over it. He said to just chip off the burrs with a pocket knife. I have looked at all the different models on display and they are all built the same.

One of the vendors there used to sell Kings cages. I know because I purchased one from him when I got my macaw 12 years ago. I inquired why he switched brands. He said HQ cages are less expensive and he can sell them faster than a Kings cage even though they are inferior. It's all about the money!!!!

Most major brands of bird cages are made in China. I just purchased a travel cage which folds down for my amazon yesterday while at the bird fair and that too was made in China.

If you would like more information about HQ cages, please PM me. There is much more to say.

That's the. Show we went to.

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
The two vendors that sell the HQ cages at Norcross are Don Price and he was towards the back and S&C Quality Canaries was the one selling the corner cage. The black corner cage was a new model for S&C Quality Canaries.

There is a vendor who sells toys at the fair and goes by the name of Bonka Toys. He sells a variety of cages, playstands, and a bunch of other stuff on ebay and goes by the name Birdtoyman. His name is John. He is very knowledgeable about all the products he sells. I think many members here are familiar with him. I have purchased a playstand online from him myself. I suggest your talking to him before you purchase any cage. If you look online and check out his prices, maybe he will sell you something for less if you ask. I have, didn't take him up on it and regret it now.

OP
G

Gburchett

Apr 9, 2013
Athens,Ga
Parrots
LILO - B&G Macaw
Pinkybird. I found 2 breeders that I like. My first pick said to keep looking for breeders as she is not sure if she will have any eggs. Said it is a new female for her and she is not sure if she will produce this year or not. The weather here has not been good for breeding. Most of the breeders have said the same thing. She sent me an email last night asking me if i knew of an "egg dance" and if so to do one. LOL. I thought up one and did it today, hopefully that will bring her some luck. So I have found a back up breeder and plan on talking with him tomorrow. I emailed him last night to have him put me on the waiting list since there is only one ahead of me.

So I am hoping either way I will have my BG in the fall. I will let you know how things are going as soon as I hear something.

If you can, do an egg dance for me:)

Most Reactions

Latest posts