Apple tree branch?

Finch_Breeder

Oct 27, 2012
South Australia
Parrots
Rocky the Galah! & Cocky the Sulphur Crested Cockatoo!
I sawed off this descent sized apple tree branch for Rocky's cage.
Just asking are the leaves on the branch alright for Rocky if he nibbles on them? (My tree has not been sprayed).

OP
Finch_Breeder

Finch_Breeder

Oct 27, 2012
South Australia
Parrots
Rocky the Galah! & Cocky the Sulphur Crested Cockatoo!
I'm reading different things on the net... some say it's non toxic & some say it's toxic???

Tuukee

Dec 16, 2012
Media
Florida
Parrots
Green Quaker Parrot
I can tell you that i thought about using apple juice to soak Tuukee's zupreems but then i remember that the seeds are toxic, so i changed my mind (I don;' know what part they used in the juicing process and I'm not risking his life... a seed or two may have slipped thew the cracks). If you can't find an answer, then I would just remove what you think may be dangerous, bc it's better to be safe than sorry.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I can tell you that i thought about using apple juice to soak Tuukee's zupreems but then i remember that the seeds are toxic, so i changed my mind (I don;' know what part they used in the juicing process and I'm not risking his life... a seed or two may have slipped thew the cracks). If you can't find an answer, then I would just remove what you think may be dangerous, bc it's better to be safe than sorry.
The seed are toxic because they contain traces of cyanide.

Brodie

Jul 25, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Male Eclectus- Oscar and Female Eclectus- Scarlet

Wow really? Makes me want to skip any form of apple now! Haha

LakeDesire

Sep 27, 2012
Media
Seattle
Parrots
Jade (Nanday Conure, 20),
Henry (Red-Crowned Amazon, ~15), Joey and Sophie (Congo African Greys, ~17)
My vet said apple and pear branches are both fine. She recommended cleaning it with hydrogen peroxide and hot water before putting it in the cage. I have an apple tree branch in each bird's and they are have been fine.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels

Wow really? Makes me want to skip any form of apple now! Haha
The flesh of the apple is fine(organic is better since they put nasty stuff on the peel), just make sure your birdie doesn't get any seeds :) Also apples are full of sugar so they are more of a treat and dark leafy greens should be fed more.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I'll just allow the pictures to say it...

Fids025.jpg

Freshly chewed

Fids133.jpg

Dried out, flowers bloomed

Fids026.jpg

Fids061.jpg

Fids120.jpg

Most Reactions

Latest posts