Help with cage for Eclectus

LolaLowlie

Apr 23, 2012
West Palm Beach, FL
Parrots
Howie - Vos Eclectus, Kiku -Quaker
Ok so I have had Howie for 7 months now, and I already decided I want him in a bigger cage because of how much he climbs, and flaps his wings in utter excitement. I have a cage in mind that seems too good to be true. I can't find much reviews on it from buyers either it's called Avian Adventures Hacienda Dometop Cage. It says its a no nuts/bolts, or tools needed for essembly. I have never expierenced a cage that seemingly folds out either. There is no doubt its a HUGE cage. I can't decide if I should get a corner cage thats big, but not as big as this Hacienda Cage. What you think? Should I just go ahead, and buy the Hacienda cage?

The cage with playtop is my current cage

Then there is the prospective corner cage

Then the Hacienda cage I am leaning more towards purchasing.

Attachments

• IMG_4736.jpg
    IMG_4736.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 5,446
  • CC4242-AE-AE-Extra-Large-Corner-Cage-61X48X73.jpg
    CC4242-AE-AE-Extra-Large-Corner-Cage-61X48X73.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 2,499
  • hacienda_dometop_bird_cage_l.jpg
    hacienda_dometop_bird_cage_l.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 1,192
Last edited:

njgray21

Aug 11, 2012
Central Texas
Parrots
No parrots yet but I have two rescued German Shepherds
I have the one that is a step down from the Hacienda. The name escapes me at the moment. I like it. Mine is a little flimsy but for an Eclectus it's fine because they are not known to be hard on cages. I would say go for it. If you go with the corner cage then you are pretty much stuck with it being in a corner.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I like the Hacienda type more, a corner cage doesn't fit in every house while a dometop can fit pretty much anywhere. The corner cages are nice and big though.

Off topic
I almost bought the cage you currently have, but went for a dome top from the same brand. Luckily galahs aren't hard on cages at all because they aren't the best, but they are big and look nice. Here's Rosie cage

Last edited:
OP
LolaLowlie

LolaLowlie

Apr 23, 2012
West Palm Beach, FL
Parrots
Howie - Vos Eclectus, Kiku -Quaker
Ya you both are right about the corner cages, and I suppose they aren't the easiest to get through a doorway either when time comes to move it. I think I will go for the big Dometop.

@Copperarabian - That's so funny. I do like the cage I have now I just don't so much love the design, for me. When I got it I had to put it together and one of the bars were bent so I couldn't fit it together properly so I grabbed my hammer and whacked at it and the metal bar didn't budge. I had to wait for my husband to get home and even he had a tough time, but eventually got it. The cage itself is like a no name brand, but it is very well built and sturdy I think. At least for Howie :) I will for sure keep it as a secondary cage. Thanks for the help!

gemini84

Oct 27, 2012
north qld, Australia
Parrots
alexandrines : Oxy, Bruno, prince (was princess)
i have the same cage as you have now and also had issues with it.

for some reason one of the bottom bolts wont go in, the screw holes for the handles on the trays dont line up with the handles and there is nothing fot the top grate to sit on.

i tied the bottom corner together with some braided fishing line and dont use tge tray on the play stand or have handles on them.

apart from that i love the cage, but after seeing that large dome top thinking i want one

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Ya you both are right about the corner cages, and I suppose they aren't the easiest to get through a doorway either when time comes to move it. I think I will go for the big Dometop.

@Copperarabian - That's so funny. I do like the cage I have now I just don't so much love the design, for me. When I got it I had to put it together and one of the bars were bent so I couldn't fit it together properly so I grabbed my hammer and whacked at it and the metal bar didn't budge. I had to wait for my husband to get home and even he had a tough time, but eventually got it. The cage itself is like a no name brand, but it is very well built and sturdy I think. At least for Howie :) I will for sure keep it as a secondary cage. Thanks for the help!
Yeah, Rosie's is pretty well built too. Only problem I had was that one of the casters wouldn't fit because the opening had bent closed some. I fixed it with the back of a hammer (the part to pull out screws) and made it big enough to fit the caster in. It's so huge, I love it :D Only part I meant about them not being the best is that they're mass produced in china and often have small defects. Rosie's cage has a small spot of rust on the back where the powder coating had a bubble that flaked off really easily. Luckily it's out of reach.

I'm excited to see what cage you pick :D

Most Reactions

Latest posts