are hot air popcorn makers safe to use for birds

Nathan1

Nov 30, 2013
Canada
Parrots
Quaker- Stitch
GCC - Yoshi
RCA - Polly
I don't make popcorn for my birds, mainly because I'm concerned about using oil but I found a popcorn maker at a yard sale still in the packaging for $1 so I figured I'd get it to make popcorn better suited for the birds. I was wondering if it's safe to use, if it has PTFE, etc.

Thanks.

Mimsy01

Jul 7, 2014
Parrots
GCC-Foofany
European Starling-Zeki
BCC-Ellie House Sparrow-Napolean Parakeet-Bean
Here is info from: Household Safety

The following items have been known to contain PTFEs

Heat lamps
Portable heaters
Sole plates on irons
Ironing board covers
Burners on stove tops
Drip pans for burners
Broiler pans
Griddles
Many cooking utensils
Woks
Waffle makers
Electric skillets
Deep fryers, crock pots,
Hot air popcorn poppers
Coffee makers
Bread makers
Non-stick rolling pins
Lollipop molds
Corkscrews
Never-Stick-Stainless Steel
Stockpots
Roasters
Non-stick gingerbread molds
Pizza pans
Tortilla presses

ZephyrFly

Sep 21, 2014
UK
Parrots
Pazu - Green Cheek Conure - Hatch Date ~27 September 2014~
I'd wait for other's to respond as I don't actually know for sure, but I have a popcorn maker that uses hot air. I don't use it in the same room (as any cooking or heat related thing beside the heaters, I keep it out of the bird room/lounge).

Although I use it I don't know the mechanics of why it shouldn't be safe. As long as you don't leave it unattended and food can't get trapped in it, it shouldn't burn; and although I don't know if PTFE was used in any parts of it, I don't believe the device should get hot enough for that to be an issue (unless you leave it unattended for a significant amount of time), the reason I don't think the device should get hot enough is because if your device is like mine it probably has a lot of plastic in/around it, too much heat would cause the device problems. Not to say the device can't get hot enough but again if you attend the machine then the popcorn will be ready long before melting plastic is an issue (another problem for birds there, plastic fumes).

Please listen to other people too, I also want to know if my thinking is wrong. I also don't want to cause unnecessary harm to my bird.

ZephyrFly

Sep 21, 2014
UK
Parrots
Ok, Mimsy responded while I was typing. My popcorn maker is going away for a long while.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
I'd wait for other's to respond as I don't actually know for sure, but I have a popcorn maker that uses hot air. I don't use it in the same room (as any cooking or heat related thing beside the heaters, I keep it out of the bird room/lounge).

Although I use it I don't know the mechanics of why it shouldn't be safe. As long as you don't leave it unattended and food can't get trapped in it, it shouldn't burn; and although I don't know if PTFE was used in any parts of it, I don't believe the device should get hot enough for that to be an issue (unless you leave it unattended for a significant amount of time), the reason I don't think the device should get hot enough is because if your device is like mine it probably has a lot of plastic in/around it, too much heat would cause the device problems. Not to say the device can't get hot enough but again if you attend the machine then the popcorn will be ready long before melting plastic is an issue (another problem for birds there, plastic fumes).

Please listen to other people too, I also want to know if my thinking is wrong. I also don't want to cause unnecessary harm to my bird.

I agree with all the above. Popcorn is a rare treat for my birds but they love it. I make it as far away from the birds as space allows and I stand there until the last kernel is popped and the machine is unplugged.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
As with cooking and baking, the most common problem is people!

PTFE becomes dangerous when temperatures raises above its gassing point. I do not recall the exact temperature, but it can be easily Web Searched.

The problem with all 'non-stick' cooking surfaces and PTFE products in general occur when the pot, pan, disk, contact surface, etc... are left unattended and the surface overheats.

Should you use the Hot Air Poppers? Well, since they come in several different designs, most using PTFE. The main point in using it is; it needs to be turned-off and quickly removed from the heating surface when cooking (popping) has completed. I have used a design in which the blower tube became red hot. The design depended on a precise measurement of corn in the holder above the tube. To much and the holder would overheat. Use to little and corn would blow-out of the holder, which meant that the holder would overheat. I would try the unit outside your home and determine whether you would trust its use indoors. I found them to be a pain in setting-up, cleaning, and storing.

If you have a newer microwave oven with a 'popcorn' button that by determining the weight of the corn in a small paper bag, it auto-sets a given time and power. Commonly, one would use a small paper bag (or a prepackaged bag) containing the corn to contain the popcorn. Warning, it is important to remove the bag quickly after popping. Using a small paper bag requires several folds to keep it closed.

I have microwaved in a small paper bag for years. As stated above the problem always involves people not paying attention.

ZephyrFly

Sep 21, 2014
UK
Parrots
I microwaved popcorn at first but found it to be a hassle to even get enough as treats for pazu.
As for the popcorn maker, it doesn't really overheat, just works by hot air like a hairdryer, and gets turned straight off when done (unplugged and put aside). It seems to get to a certain heat and almost stays there but that may just be me.

I think the overheating temperature for PTFE is 600-700Ā°F (~350Ā°C) but that's new teflon, that's figure gets lower with time and usage.

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
The air popper I have has a stainless steel interior, with no non-stick coating. It's a very old one, but I imagine there are similar ones still made. Undoubtedly, they cost more-- it usually does work that way.

Microwave popcorn and the bag it pops in typically contain chemicals that are suspected of being carcinogenic. I've read that regular organic popcorn can be popped in a microwave oven by placing the kernels in a plain brown paper bag.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Microwave popcorn and the bag it pops in typically contain chemicals that are suspected of being carcinogenic.

That study was found to be seriously flawed. To duplicate the study required near continuous (24/7/365) use for multiply lifetimes to register enough to even chart, let alone represent a danger.

DexMom

Jul 18, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Dexter, SI Eclectus
I use my air popper to make popcorn for Dexter outside on the deck. This beast is old school from the 80s, dug out of Mom's basement, who the heck knows what this thing is made of, but it's still blowing hot air like nobody's business. Once it heats up (quickly) I can pop a huge bowl in like 5 minutes and I've got birdy popcorn treats for a month!

I cook pancakes on my non-stick griddle out there as well. I can't quite describe the look on my husband's face the morning he came down to find me making pancakes outside. It was a priceless "has she gone completely bonkers" kind of expression.

OP
Nathan1

Nathan1

Nov 30, 2013
Canada
Parrots
Quaker- Stitch
GCC - Yoshi
RCA - Polly
Thanks for all of the replies. I am still wondering, since most popcorn makers contain PTFE would it be safe to feed the popcorn to my birds after popping them outside? Is there anything in it that would make the popcorn uneatable for them? It seems so based on everyone's replies, but I'm just making sure!

Most Reactions