Are these good toys and cage accesories?

Classy

Apr 17, 2018
Arizona
Parrots
Lenny (Turquoise Green Cheek Conure)

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Be careful with the rope perch, conures are notorious chewers so if you don't keep the perch in check, threads could get lodged in their crop and such. When looking for a sleeping hut avoid huts made out of fibers for the reason stated above.

OP
Classy

Classy

Apr 17, 2018
Arizona
Parrots
Lenny (Turquoise Green Cheek Conure)
What about those coconut huts? Are those dangerous? And is the ladder okay? Also, do you have any suggetions for some good items to put in the cage? Like some good toys and stuff.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Wood toys are really good for a conure from what I've heard, and really when first getting a bird try to buy a large variety of toys to see what your bird personally likes. Then you can make your own toys based on what he/she likes! I don't really know about the first ladder to be honest. I think it would be okay since I think the strings would break down better if ingested but I'm not comfortable answering that 100% and would probably take the answer from someone more knowledgeable.

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
This is a great place for finding "safe" bird toys and supplies.

https://www.mysafebirdstore.com/

When it comes to chew toys, wood toys are good for conures cause they are 'chewers' BUT make sure the wood isn't pre-treated with chemicals. If you get colored blocks etc, make sure they are treated with non-toxic vegetable dye and not chemical dye.

When it comes to ropes etc, stick with 100% cotton. The all natural fibers are much less likely to pose a problem than non-natural fibers. Though diligence should still be practiced.

Skittles LOVES rope boings and bungees and I inspect them daily (and trim where i need too).

The 'comfy perch' is fine (just inspect it regularly) but I'd stay away from the wooden/rope bridge.

Last edited:

Caitnah

Mar 24, 2018
Upstate New York
Parrots
GCC Pineapple
The rope perch is fine just inspect as others have mentioned. I have 3 of them since I like the way you can conform them to any position.
The ladder may be too small. I originally bought the large one and then realized that it may be to big for him. I then bought the size your showing and my GCC uses it as a chew toy. He never climbed on it. I then installed the large one and he uses that as a ladder.

I also recommend My Safe Bird Store. The girls that own it are excellent. Your order is usually shipped the same day Priority Mail... I only live about an hour from them and have the option of picking my items up. But for the $8 ship charge, it saves me on gas/tolls.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
The toy listed above, is my boys favorite toy. If I get one it's destroyed within a day. And I don't even have a conure xD

YUMgrinder

Mar 20, 2017
Cheyenne, WY
Parrots
-Jazz, Normal Grey Cockatiel /

-Chessie, Pearl Cockatiel /

-Perry, Black capped Conure /

-JoJo, Pineapple GCC /

3 little busy Budgies
rope perches in my opinion should not be in cages, but used in a more supervised situation. I have a few rope perches, love them, but I use them on their play stand so if something happens I am around to intervene. All my birds chew on them, and that can sometimes create a hazard cause they can get their claws stuck and if you ever seen a bird freak out when they get their foot stuck, it can be fatal if they flop around for hours trying to get unstuck. I guess in a sense, everything is hazardous in the right circumstances.

I have that ladder thing too, and my ringneck loves it. Shes always hanging out on it, I have it connected like a hammock I think it is comfortable for her to perch on cause she has a deformed foot. I don't see any reason to think it is not safe personally.

Most Reactions

Latest posts