Are your parrots potty trained?

LoryLover

Jan 1, 2013
Southern California
Parrots
Chattering Lory, 18yrs old (Sweet Pea)
One more thing - always set the parrot down to go potty. If your training involves you holding your parrot over something for them to go potty, then they will think it's okay to go potty when they are riding on your hand, or shoulder.

LoveMyParrots

Dec 29, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Ozzie - alexandrine parakeet
I personally don't potty train my parrots. As if you teach them the wrong way, it is unhealthy for the parrot.

I always looks for signs that they about to go than potty train them. Specially with my cockatiels, they go about every 10-15 min, i dont really have the time. i just put newspaper on the ground, and change it every 2 hours. But you can if you want, this is just my opinion. :)

khaiqha

Sep 19, 2012
Lewisville, TX
Parrots
Alexandrine Ringneck,
about to be getting a Jardine's
I have a portable stand I made by combining an egg crate with a rope perch. Inside I lined it with newspaper. Every owner can tell when their bird has to go most of the time. Every time my bird had to go, I just placed him on the perch and rewarded him after. It also helps the training process if you time it. About every 20mins I would put my bird on the perch for a little bit then pick him back up again whenever he finally went.

Most birds I feel don't go out of their way to poop in a particular place. The easier you make it for them, the more likely they will poop where you want them to.

On a sidenote, my Alex almost never poop on me, never poops on my bed, and flies off to go poop and comes back after. My roommate that my Alex hates though...I swear my bird purposely tries to poop on him.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I personally don't potty train my parrots. As if you teach them the wrong way, it is unhealthy for the parrot.

I always looks for signs that they about to go than potty train them. Specially with my cockatiels, they go about every 10-15 min, i dont really have the time. i just put newspaper on the ground, and change it every 2 hours. But you can if you want, this is just my opinion. :)

If potty trained correctly I agree, it is such a pleasure and much less mess.
Why not place a potty on the newspaper, where your birds poop. Watch their body language carefully, when the need to go, place them on the potty. Guaranteed your birds will latch on quickly.
:grey:

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
"Poop" is the least problem you have to deal with, when getting a parrot....

Babies are pretty easy to encourage to poop somewhere (other than you)... My Squirt always gets off me, and poops on the desk, table, chair or wherever I am... I always praise her, when she goes anywhere, but on me... If she does go on me, I just ignore it...

Bird poop is so easy to clean, because it turns to powder, when dry... Don't try and clean off a wet one...

Most Reactions

Latest posts