As you guys recommened now what

Multipaki

Jul 23, 2011
Recently i made a thread 'need parrot advise', and you guys recommended the following.

Bigger cage (will come in 4 hours)
Toys (Making my Self :/)
Fruits as treats, seeds and and veggies as food (done)
Taking to him quietly (Do it for 10-15 min every night)
Do some research (Did alot of research)

So now that the basic things are out of the way here is the situation. He lets me set near him and even is eating food when i am around. If i hide my hands behind my back he doesn't care but when i move my hands near the cage he panics. According to a few articles i should let him out of the cage on the other hand some articles say to keep him in the cage and untill he is not hand shy. Why is he hand shy? lol he sat on my hand at the shop for 10 mins. :/ Anyways the other thing is transferring him to the new cage how can that be done? he scratches his neck sometimes. The good thing is i think he likes it when i tell him how ugly he is in a soft voice :D ahahhaahah :green2: and omg parrot **** every 20 min how am going to be able to potty train him if i go to collage? he seems to recognize his name (Mr.Bob) and as soon as i say it he looks at me xD..
Also does his bowl always have to be full or should i give him food in a time table?

oled

Jul 10, 2011
South Sweden
Parrots
Ville a double yellow head Amazon
Give food with you hand. Have your hand in the cage as near as posible but not so he get frident. Dont take him out of the cage before he vill come up on your hand

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
he would have been taught that in the pet shop, but now he is alone with you in a new home, things are different, quite simply he is afraid and un-sure

feed off your hands as oled says but take it slow

as for the food bowl, i give my nut different foods through out the day, her food bowl is never full, as she just throws our what she likes least

OP
Multipaki

Multipaki

Jul 23, 2011
Its been one week now he eats from my hand :) so now how do i get him ON my hand?

oled

Jul 10, 2011
South Sweden
Parrots
Ville a double yellow head Amazon
You can start with a stick and ON/OF or you finger, just have patient, soner or later he will go up, and the prease him

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPZ1BN-3Dt4"]How to Train a Parrot : How to Teach Parrots to Step On Your Hand - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqoMHIeZ6-o"]Teach a Bird to Step Up - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqoMHIeZ6-o"]Teach a Bird to Step Up - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

dirtpoor

Jul 13, 2011
Texas
Parrots
Male Solomon Island Eclectus
It's good that you are reading articles, but READ your bird. Watch his body language, learn his reactions, memorize his every sound and move. Take this time to learn about him, inside and out. Once you know that, you will understand how he thinks and responds. Once you learn that, you can ask him to do whatever you want and he will tell you how to best go about getting it. He's not a dog, he's a parrot. It's give and take, or do and die. Above all respect him, your wants come second to his needs.

OP
Multipaki

Multipaki

Jul 23, 2011
So like he has been in the cage for 1.3 weeks. He isn't hand trained yet how ever does eat from my hand, should i let him out or let him sit like a lazy bird he is :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts