JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Every time I see new pictures of your gorgeous girl, she takes my breath away!!

How did she like the park? Did anything / or does anything ever spook her, and if so, how does she react?

JustineBird

Jun 3, 2015
Orange County California
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo
A few new photos from our trip to the park today :p

Ash.png

ash2.png

She isn't a very confident flier yet, so we're practicing :)

I want to start to take justine out with me if I walk around but I am worried that she will fall. her flight feathers are trimmed but still worried.

OP
Mekaisto

Mekaisto

Jan 8, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Zookeeper who has worked with many bird species, and owner of a cheeky red-tailed black cockatoo (Ash)
She loved the park - we went gumnut-picking :)

She reacts to scary things by putting her crest up and going quiet, but she hasn't screamed or tried to fly away in fright yet, which is good! :D

I want to start to take justine out with me if I walk around but I am worried that she will fall. her flight feathers are trimmed but still worried.

Fall as in fall off your hand/shoulder? Ash hasn't fallen off me before, and if she did she's flighted, so can flutter to the ground. If Justine falls she should still have enough flight ability left to fall somewhat gracefully. Especially if you start out walking on grassy areas, which are a bit softer.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Mekaisto, is Ash wearing a harness, there? And if so, how has she taken to harness training?

OP
Mekaisto

Mekaisto

Jan 8, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Zookeeper who has worked with many bird species, and owner of a cheeky red-tailed black cockatoo (Ash)
Yes she has a black harness on - it's a little hard to see.

She was harness trained by the breeder before I got her, but she also just doesn't mind being touched and having her wings lifted and stuff :)

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Sweet! You are having pretty much a dream transition with this 'too, aren't you? I'm loving it! Keep the pics coming!

Most Reactions

Latest posts