At what age do BCC begin to speak?

andrea.faerie

May 16, 2011
North Carolina
Parrots
My lovely little Black Cap Conure, Lucy (in the sky with diamonds) <3
I'm assuming you mean human speak? You just have to train him :) It takes time and a bond with the bird. Some birds are better talkers than others, not because of species but just because of personality. Conures can be ok talkers, a lot of conure babies on here are younger than Lucy and are already talking and associating words with objects. Lucy doesn't really talk at all, she'll say "ma" and "no" occasionally but usually it's just parrot speak.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
It varies from bird to bird. My Quaker started talking at 5 weeks old when I was handfeeding him. It surprised me big time....

OP
rebel619

rebel619

Nov 29, 2011
San Diego CA
Parrots
Blue Crown Canure
I'm assuming you mean human speak? You just have to train him :) It takes time and a bond with the bird. Some birds are better talkers than others, not because of species but just because of personality. Conures can be ok talkers, a lot of conure babies on here are younger than Lucy and are already talking and associating words with objects. Lucy doesn't really talk at all, she'll say "ma" and "no" occasionally but usually it's just parrot speak.[/QUOTE

That's what i was thinking, but i tought maybe at a certain age they worked up there vocal chords or something:confused:...duke is my first parrot

andrea.faerie

May 16, 2011
North Carolina
Parrots
My lovely little Black Cap Conure, Lucy (in the sky with diamonds) <3
nope! all depends on the bird itself, there's no set "age" where they "talk"
Keep in mind, english is a learned behavior for birds, their native tongue is parrot! You have to be their teacher :) always reward you bird for good behavior!! I'm not really sure how to "train" a bird to talk, Bleu came to me a talker and has picked up several phrases from me but he's also 5 years old and I have NO idea if he actually knew the phrases before of really did pick them up from me. Lucy I've had for a few months and she doesn't really talk, like I said. :)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
You teach them by repeating the same word over and over. Like everytime I give my birds a kiss, I would go muwah, they repeat that now. You keep repeating over and over, they will learn. As long as you repeat them in a clear voice, they would catch on. I even teach my Tiels how to speak before and they had a pretty good vocabulary.

JamesC

Sep 3, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Parrots
Blue Crown Conures: Tootsie and Rosco.
Senegal Parrot: Sidney.

Feathers of the past:
Budgies: Sunshine, Digit, Kiwi, and Yahto.
Senegal Parrot: Kelly.
"Fly free, little ones. Love and miss you."
My Tootsie used to talk so I'm told. 20 or so years and at least 2 families ago the story goes that she had an encounter with a pet snake and was traumatized by the experience and never talked again. It had gotten loose and was found coiled up in the bottom of her cage. No physical harm done. She never has shown any inclination to talk despite an extensive amount of trying on my part. But that certainly does not lessen what she means to me by any means.

Rosa does not speak any human words yet. We are still building a relationship so maybe when she comes to trust and enjoy contact with me she might start picking up on what I say. She is a rescue bird and probably never has had a good relationship with a human before. That being said, she is very fluent in Quaker Parakeet.

I was kind of beginning to doubt that blue crowns talked until I encountered a lady bringing her's in for a nail trim at the local bird specialty store I get my supplies from. He was a talkative little guy. Maybe someday Rosa will open up and become a chatty bird too.

beckybird

Nov 16, 2011
Media
Southern California
Parrots
Lola (green cheek conure)
Connor (yellow sided green cheek conure)
Dorian "Buzzy" (senegal)
Hi :)
My blue crowned conure Lincoln turned 5 years old last July. I have had him since he 3 months old. The breeder I adopted him from was housing Lincoln and sooooo many other birds in her kitchen, and I assume he learned to speak a little from the other birds.

The first day I brought him home he said "hi." I was very excited, but I had no idea that he could say more than that. Several days after I adopted him I was cleaning the floor near the bottom of his cage and he turned his head and looked at me closely with one eye and clearly said, "What are you doing?" My jaw dropped to the floor in shock...when I regained my composure I answered, "I'm cleaning the floor; what are you doing?"

"What are you doing" is still one of his most-uttered phrases. I never purposely "trained" him to talk, but over the years has learned to say many of the phrases I use most with my flock and my family, including:

How are you?
Are you alright?
It's ok, you're ok.
There. (he says this when I place a fresh bowl of food in his cage)
Look!
I love you.
You're such a good bird.
You're pretty.
Be a good bird.
Just a minute.
Where are you going?
Shhhhhh. Stop, no-no-no-no-no. (he says this after a good scream-fest)
Julian go bye-bye?
Kisses, mwah!
Do you wanna go night-night?
Do you want some nummy-num?
Go in the cage.
Come here, Karma, come on... (Karma was my 12-year old lovebird that passed away last Nov.)
Peek-a-bird!!!
whatta-whatta-whatta-what up?

Customcasket

Aug 24, 2011
Media
New Jersey
Parrots
Female Dusky Conure (Kayak) Female Sun Conure (Carlisle) Female Budgie (Meister) Male Budgie (Spooky Burd)
My two conures just kinda picked up talking. Carlisle only says a few phrases. He says goodnight, hello, hi Carlisle! (he says it in a high pitched voice which normally means he wants something like a pistachio lol) and Kayak says WHAT?!, peekaboo (I adopted her and she came saying that one), I love you, are you a psycho? (I'd ask her that when she would act crazy), and her newest (not too proud of this one...) a**hole.... I really have no idea where she learned that one. I don't use that word. I do have a favorite curse but not that one.

My parakeet talks a lot and everything he learned was stuff just said around him or really drilled into his little head. My conures just kinda picked things up like whatever is most often repeated.

OP
rebel619

rebel619

Nov 29, 2011
San Diego CA
Parrots
Blue Crown Canure
Hi :)
My blue crowned conure Lincoln turned 5 years old last July. I have had him since he 3 months old. The breeder I adopted him from was housing Lincoln and sooooo many other birds in her kitchen, and I assume he learned to speak a little from the other birds.

The first day I brought him home he said "hi." I was very excited, but I had no idea that he could say more than that. Several days after I adopted him I was cleaning the floor near the bottom of his cage and he turned his head and looked at me closely with one eye and clearly said, "What are you doing?" My jaw dropped to the floor in shock...when I regained my composure I answered, "I'm cleaning the floor; what are you doing?"

"What are you doing" is still one of his most-uttered phrases. I never purposely "trained" him to talk, but over the years has learned to say many of the phrases I use most with my flock and my family, including:

How are you?
Are you alright?
It's ok, you're ok.
There. (he says this when I place a fresh bowl of food in his cage)
Look!
I love you.
You're such a good bird.
You're pretty.
Be a good bird.
Just a minute.
Where are you going?
Shhhhhh. Stop, no-no-no-no-no. (he says this after a good scream-fest)
Julian go bye-bye?
Kisses, mwah!
Do you wanna go night-night?
Do you want some nummy-num?
Go in the cage.
Come here, Karma, come on... (Karma was my 12-year old lovebird that passed away last Nov.)
Peek-a-bird!!!
whatta-whatta-whatta-what up?

Lincoln is awesome!:green:

beckybird

Nov 16, 2011
Media
Southern California
Parrots
Lola (green cheek conure)
Connor (yellow sided green cheek conure)
Dorian "Buzzy" (senegal)
Aww thanks, I love Lincoln...sometimes he drives me nuts with his incessant screaming... He reminds me a little of Raymond from Rain Man! He's a little smartie pants with the talking, but he is extremely emotional and high-strung. His particular combination of personality traits makes him quite a handful!

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I recently lost my beloved Blue Crown, Briana. She began talking at the age of 5 months. It was Christmas Eve. When I uncovered her cage that morning she said, "Hi, Oodie!" My name is Audrey, lol! For a couple months I was Oodie though. Then Oodrie and finally Audrey.

She was actually the loudest, clearest speaking bird I've ever had. And very emotional when she talked as well. My other birds say "Hi." Bri yelled "HIIIIII" Instead of just saying "Pretty bird" she trilled it out like she was singing it.

She did talk pretty much all day long. I can't say she learned a lot of words and phrases, but she certainly talked more than she made conure noises. Aside from what I've already mentioned she said hello, whatchadoin?, what's up, Bri?, What?, what, what?, goodnight when I covered her cage, kiss, and once she swore.

I miss her very much.

OP
rebel619

rebel619

Nov 29, 2011
San Diego CA
Parrots
Blue Crown Canure
I recently lost my beloved Blue Crown, Briana. She began talking at the age of 5 months. It was Christmas Eve. When I uncovered her cage that morning she said, "Hi, Oodie!" My name is Audrey, lol! For a couple months I was Oodie though. Then Oodrie and finally Audrey.

She was actually the loudest, clearest speaking bird I've ever had. And very emotional when she talked as well. My other birds say "Hi." Bri yelled "HIIIIII" Instead of just saying "Pretty bird" she trilled it out like she was singing it.

She did talk pretty much all day long. I can't say she learned a lot of words and phrases, but she certainly talked more than she made conure noises. Aside from what I've already mentioned she said hello, whatchadoin?, what's up, Bri?, What?, what, what?, goodnight when I covered her cage, kiss, and once she swore.

I miss her very much.

I'm sorry, sounds like you had a wonderful conure, hopefully duke starts speaking soon...

Most Reactions