Avian Borna virus PPD

scott4687

Feb 27, 2010
My new 5 month old Male eclectus parrot has tested positive for Avian Borna virus PPD. I've done some research on the net, but was wondering if anyone has had first hand experience with this disease. The breeder says his immune system will knock it out in 4 -5 months. She says that at this age, they really don't have much of an immune system and that when it gets a little older it will beat it.
From the research I've done, it all says it is fatal. Although no ones knows how long it will take to develop the systems, if ever.
I would love to hear from someone who had or has a bird with this virus.
Scott

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
I'm so sorry! Your vet is wrong! PDD is fatal. ABV is not always fatal but can be a curser to PDD. There are only certain labs that test accurately for PDD. There is no blood test for PDD, only a feces test colloected over 3 weeks and frozen then mixed together and cultured. So your bird could have ABV but not PDD. It is common in babies though. If you PM me your email address I can put you intouch with my freind that went through all the testing.

Here is an interview with Dr. Tizzard, avian spe******t studying ABV/PDD.
http://www.examiner.com/x-11541-Wil...9d20-Saving-the-worlds-parrots-a-complex-task

Here is the Conclusion-part 2
http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-...Saving-the-worlds-parrots-from-killer-disease

Last edited:

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
Scott, what scary news! I think you should listen to GC. Good luck and keep us posted on how things go.

Mel

Mar 30, 2010
Media
Sydney Australia
Parrots
Eclectus - Shadow /
Sulfur Crested - Chicka
I don't have any first hand experience with this but I have read about it and it's not good. Your breeder should stop breeding with her current flock or sell any babies as there are suspicions that it could be passed from hen to egg. If you have any other birds keep them away and please use strict hygiene as well as I believe transmission is not fully understood... if someone else has more knowledge please shed a light on this one as I'm curious.

Of course we will keep your baby in our prayers. Please let us know how things go, hopefully GC's friend can help. Good Luck

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Yes, I have put Scott in touch with my friend. These are very contagious diseases. I don't know if Scott has any other birds but quarantining is very important.
I don't know if Scott got a form of warranty with his baby, but I would definitely contact the breeder.
Due to my friends experience, one good thing I learned was that blood results can show false positives very frequently.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Having GC around makes life much simpler.
Thanks so much for all the info GC, we all have so much to learn.
Scott I pray your bird makes a speed recovery.
In our thoughts.
God bless, please keep us update

Birdamor

Banned
Banned
Jun 14, 2010
OMG, this are TERRIBLE news and I am very sorry to hear about them!

As far as I know, ABV is PDD and PDD is ABV. PDD (Pro-ventricular Dilation Disease) is the name it used to be called when they had not been able to identify the pathogen that caused it. We knew about the symptoms, we knew about contagion and we knew what worked in terms of keeping a bird alive with an adequate quality of life for a period of time but nobody knew what caused it and there was no test for it (most diagnosis was done based on symptoms and history and confirmed through necropsy). They finally saw what it looked like, identified it as a virus, and named it Avian Borna Virus. There is no cure for this disease and it's always fatal but the bird can live well for a long period of time as long as the bird is strong, it's kept medicated and the conditions are excellent (physical and emotional stress are MAJOR concerns). I am no expert and don't know that much about the disease except what I have read about it and what my avian vet told me (she took in a cockatoo sick with it and cared for it for a couple of years before he had to be put down -I made a special food for him) but, for what I know, all the birds that lived a good long time with it before having to be euthanized caught it when they were already adults. Babies that get it from their parents don't seem to fare well precisely because their immune systems are not well developed.

Personally, I think the breeder is incredibly irresponsible and should be closed down ASAP.

OP
scott4687

scott4687

Feb 27, 2010
Guys, thanks so much for all the support!! It really means a lot to me. Greycloud has put me in touch of a friend that has great info and contacts. I will be doing another test and sending it to one of the suggested labs. Keep you fingers crossed that it comes back negative.
The sad thing about this is the breeder that I got Buddy from is in total denial. She keeps saying he will out grow this. Who knows how many birds are spreading this disease every year from this one breeder.

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
I'm so glad Terri cold help you Scott! re you doing the feces collection? I hope it comes back negative.
Stupid breeder sounds like all they care about is money. If they cared about tier birds and babies they would be doing everything possible to check thier birds.

adekloet

Jul 19, 2010
Animal Genetics or ABI has started offering an Avian Borna Virus panel that consists of an ELISA assay for 4 ABV specific antibodies as well as a new rtPCR for M/N ABV segments and two RNA controls. PCR is done from from feather shafts, ABI no longer prefers fecal samples because of the inconsistent results, and found that the nerve cells in the calamus of feather shafts are much more consistent and reliable. The combination of serology and PCR is the most effective way to screen birds for ABV. This information will be presented at the AAV conference this year. ABI has also detected the virus in feather plucker's and is working with Dr. Club on that link. Please call them and ask for Arne

birdnerd

Nov 16, 2010
AVB can only be tested by feathers. Blood testing or feces testing is not the way it is tested anymore. Animal Genetics can do all the testing through the mail. Call them and they will send you the test kits you need to determine whether he has ABV and also will be able to test titer levels. They charge around $50 to do the testing. A positive result is not neccessarily a death sentence. They can be a carrier but may never develop PDD. The titer levels will give you an idea of what you are looking at. I will tell you there is a lab in Ohio that does the testing for ABV. DO NOT use them. They ALWAYS come back with a positive result and they are testing with blood samples which cannot be done. Good luck with your baby and I hope you find out good news.

Pheonix Rising

Oct 9, 2010
New Zealand
Parrots
Pheonix-Alexandrine parrot
1 September 2010
mikki- barrarand x king parrot
21yrs young ;)
Scott is it possible ( if your comfortable doing it ) to list this breeders name and general location
Even the phone number if you so wish

I'm sure a few members here may like to set her straight on this matter and at the least it may stop just one person purchasing from the breeder and running into similar problems

OP
scott4687

scott4687

Feb 27, 2010
Phoenix, at this point, I would say if your thinking about buying an eclectus from the great state of Texas, to pm me and we can talk.
Scott.

Most Reactions

Latest posts