avian vet referral in florida?

Archie

Mar 5, 2013
Media
Parrots
Chestnut Fronted Macaw, Sun Conure, Lutino Lovebird, and Umbrella Cockatoo
I would like to welcome advice from anyone on a great avian veterinarian in Florida... I live in the Tampa Bay area and am looking to drive anywhere between 1-2 hours for a great vet. I am currently going to school to become a certified vet tech and am learning the awful reality that veterinarians that say that they "specialize in avian and exotics" should be labeled more like "has experience in ..." and this really worries me. I have a few last resort and emergency vets just in case time is not in excess, but does anyone have any recommendations for an avian vet that I can go to for annual check ups and other non-emergency things? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
I'm in S.E. FL, which is further than you would want to drive (or need to drive) for a good a-vet. Check out this link for Florida Parrot Rescue. They have a couple of vets that see their parrots in the area. You could also write to FPR. Some vets will give FPR some credit on a bill when a patient mentions FPR as the referral source. I hope this helps.

There is also a parrot club in Tampa.

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
I live in the Tampa Bay area. My Avian Vet is Dr. Katherine Murphy at the Animal & Bird Hospital in Clearwater. She is an excellent, caring vet. She takes every emergency, and is very good with my birds. Her phone # is 727-796-2552. She used to breed birds. Any questions, PM me.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Blue Pearl Animal Hospital in Tampa, about the best Avian Care in the US. I'd ask for Dr Lightfoot.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
If more vet locations are required

Vets in your area !!!!!!!