Babies Everywhere!

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
Well it finally feels like spring, and no, I don't mean because of the weather. Sweetpea the parrotlet is on 3 eggs(not candled yet), Daphne the budgie is back in her box again, and we just watched our ball python lay 11 eggs! Well, she already had 10 when we noticed but I got to record her laying the last one. I'm very excited and a little overwhelmed right now. It looks like I'm going to be awfully bust here soon!

Sorry the pics are blurry, I couldn't get any of sweetpeas eggs, its hard enough just checking the box, I'm not even going to try taking a picture.
IMG_20120402_134241.jpg

IMG_20120402_134233.jpg

I wasn't sure where to put this since it was about two kinds of birds and an "other pet". sorry about that.

OP
IcyWolf

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
Here's the video, it's not very good but we found the eggs right as my brother and his wife stopped over. We were all looking at them and my brother goes, "she's laying another one right now!", keep in mind that she already had ten eggs at this point, this is her first clutch ever and the average clutch size for a ball python is 4-10 eggs, so I didn't really believe him at first. When I realized she was actually laying another one I grabbed my phone and filmed it quick. Here it is if anyone is interested.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrkcapif-k8]Ball Python Lays Egg Number 11 - YouTube[/ame]

I really hope the parrotlet eggs are good, today is the first I could check on them for 2 or 3 days, she has been refusing to leave the box and I don't open it if she's in there. I got to see them today and just in the regular lighting on the room they did look a bit clear but they aren't even a week old so I'm hoping that's why. I'll know for sure when I can candle them in a few days to a week.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
That's a cool video. I don't think I've ever seen a snake lay eggs before. It's too bad that back in the day I didn't have any way to film the horses being born.

OP
IcyWolf

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
Honestly, this is my first run with snake eggs. I've bred lizards before but I've never even attempted to breed snakes. Nick mentioned last year that he would like to breed cybin so I did some reading and just followed what everything said, I honestly wasn't expecting it to work the first try! We started breeding her to a male pastel in late october and 6 months later, we have eggs lol. We're debating right now if we are going to let her incubate them or take them and put in the incubator. She has pushed three eggs out of the cluster already, I don't know if it's because she just couldn't coil around all 11 eggs or if she somehow knows they're bad.

I've had the pleasure of watching horses be born, kind of messy but very cool :) I used to love playing with them once they got a bit sturdier, they sure can play rough though, I was nearly trampled by babies on more than one occasion as a child. :09:

OP
IcyWolf

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
She's about five and a half. There are more pictures of all the animals here if anyone is interested, I hate to cluster the parrot forum up with all the snake pics lol. The bird eggs are harder to get pictures of though :p
Feathers-First Aviary | Facebook

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
Babies being born, or hatched, or eggs laid, is such a cool thing to experience. I've birthed horses, cows, pigs, sheep, dogs, cats, live bearing snakes, and rodents of all kinds. And been there for egg laying by birds, turtles, snakes, and amphibians & fish. It always fascinates me. These tiny little lives, just starting out. Spring has sprung!:D

OP
IcyWolf

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
I feel like the easter bunny visited us early, there are eggs everywhere :)

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I always thought kittens being born was crazy. They just shoot out like bazooka balls!

Horses are kind of messy. The placenta is heavy and disgusting, lol! Once the vet examined it to be sure there wasn't any retained in the mares, I buried them, lol! My mare, Roxy, kept insisting on sitting in my lap those first few days. I'll see if I can find a pic later to scan in. Right now I'd better finish mowing the lawn as it's supposed to rain tomorrow and I'm behind due to the hip.

Mozzie

Mar 20, 2012
Media
Utah
Parrots
African grey (peppers)
Blue crown conure (Mozzie)
Sun conure (sunny)
Jenday conure (Bo)
Blue fronted amazon (Casey)
Wow that is cool!! Thanks for sharing!

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Let's see if I can upload from photobucket. The first one is Roxy the day she was born, May 1. 1996. The second one is for Icy, since she mentioned it can be dangerous to play with baby horses, lol! And no, my friend was not injured, miraculously! However we learned playing chase was not a good idea. As I snapped it I yelled, "Oh, expletive, Trina!"

scan0001.jpg
[/IMG]

scan0002.jpg
[/IMG]

OP
IcyWolf

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
Great pictures! I once thought it was fun to "race" the babies, problem was, they were already taller than me(i was probably about 7) and faster than me.

My uncle raised horses and his one tb would stand with her front legs on his shoulders when she was young, he said teaching her that she couldn't do that as she got bigger was the hardest habit to break that he never allowed any of the babies to do stuff like that again.

I ended up going and getting my incubator out of storage. I planned on getting it this week since we finally knew for sure she was gravid but I wasn't expecting her to lay this early. I'm kind of leery about rushing an incubator like this but I have to get these eggs in there tonight, there's no way I can let her maternal incubate in her tank, it's too big and I can't keep the humidity up high enough.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
No, I never should have let Roxy start sitting in my lap! I stopped it when she was about 3 weeks old and she had an absolute temper tantrum. But, yeah, bad idea with an animal that weighs about 1000lbs now.

And my friend shouldn't have tried to see if Roxy would chase her, lol! I nearly had a heart attack as I took that picture and I was unbelievably relieved when Roxy didn't land on her! Of course she didn't realize what really happened until she saw the picture.

If it weren't for my health and the number of animals I already have, I would probably buy one of those baby snakes from you. I did always want one, and only ever had a Garter snake.

Last edited:
OP
IcyWolf

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
Hehe, snakes are cheap to keep if you get them eating frozen mice, then you can get them in bulk, usually for around fifty cents a mouse :) How far is NW Ohio from Harrisburg pa, I would totally give you a baby if we could get it to you :) There I go counting my eggs before they hatch again. UGh, it's already 10pm and I'm still fighting with this incubator thermostat and have to make dinner as neither of us have eaten all day lol. THEN we get the fun task of taking the eggs from momma(not fun). Lol, I just keep thinking that normal people don't have these problems. I was at wal mart and needed a spray bottle, the woman asked me what I needed it for so she could point me in the right direction, I said, "honestly, I need to spray around python eggs", the look on her face was priceless!

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Hehe, snakes are cheap to keep if you get them eating frozen mice, then you can get them in bulk, usually for around fifty cents a mouse :) How far is NW Ohio from Harrisburg pa, I would totally give you a baby if we could get it to you :) There I go counting my eggs before they hatch again. UGh, it's already 10pm and I'm still fighting with this incubator thermostat and have to make dinner as neither of us have eaten all day lol. THEN we get the fun task of taking the eggs from momma(not fun). Lol, I just keep thinking that normal people don't have these problems. I was at wal mart and needed a spray bottle, the woman asked me what I needed it for so she could point me in the right direction, I said, "honestly, I need to spray around python eggs", the look on her face was priceless!

LMAO! Yeah, kind of like having to buy enemas for your newborn baby horse to get the merconium out.

Normal people have worse problems. Like their teenage daughter getting pregnant or the son smashing the car into a telephone pole at 100mph :-( I think I'd rather take away the snake eggs:) So I remind myself of these things when a friend calls to tell me what happened to their kid today. I guess I'd rather deal with my oddities like Merlin deciding to make me a nest because I talked to her or Roxy jumping the 5.5 foot fence again and racing in circles around the neighbor's house.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I know I would need to build a very large enclosure for the snake though and get the proper lighting and such, right? I would have to research all this again as it's been years (or you would tell me I'm sure).

How big does that kind of python get? How long do they live?

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
Oh that is sooo cool Icy ! I'm so happy for you , but boy are you going to be a busy lady , lolol. WOW :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts