OP
Kinny

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
:) Probably another week, judging from his current growth speed. He is, but he's also very strong for such a young parrot. He's not fragile at all when you're used to raising Kakarikis, Conures and budgies haha. Half the time we snuggle for 10 minutes, but when the kids are in bed/having a nap he gets 20-30 minutes of snuggle time. And I turn the heater on the room first so that it's 24 degrees (Celsius) when we snuggle, and since he's up against my skin he stays quite warm. :) He mostly sleeps at this point so I don't want to tire him out by giving too many snuggles.

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
Thanks for creating this post. We had kids over this weekend and they are interested in Buddy, my Mexican Redhead. I save his feathers he looses so the kids can see them, touch them, and do what they want with them. I showed them the pics of your baby and they were oohing and awing and a thousand questions came out, lol. I love teaching them something and now they are talking about parrots. I'll see them next weekend and they want an update, lol.

OP
Kinny

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
No worries. :) I'm so glad people are enjoying watching this just as much as I am! Haha, awwww!!! Lol so cute! Oh I see! I'd better update every day or 2 then, don't want to incur the wrath of disappointed children! ;)

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
We are VERY MUCH enjoying this thread, Liana, so keep the updates coming!

I loved the pics! Absolutely precious! It's just amazing how much that baby changes from one day to the next! Wow!

And it was nice to be able to put a face to the name, btw.

Timothy

Aug 16, 2014
Port Richey, Florida
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw [Maya] // Sun Conure Baby [Zippo] // 2 Lovebirds [Nibblet & Nellie]
Wow adorable :D Brings back a lot of memories to me. I'm super happy for you and excited to see him grow! Love the pics of him snuggling

:jumping40

OP
Kinny

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
:D I'm very glad to hear so Stephen! But if course! It is indeed! Haha no worries, I was going to cut majority of my face out of the photo, but it looked creepy lol.

Thanks Tim! Haha yeah, so cute!

Lol, well Julie...if I must.. Probably in 2 weeks, maybe 3. SO FAR AWAY!

I officially want Green! You see if it's Green, then we get to keep him here for an extra 3 months, and we know he will be going to a great home with 2 adorably sweet and gentle kids. And both are a little older than our 2 eldest kids, so the Eclectus will certainly be used to kids more annoying than hers haha.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Okay Liana, I might keep bugging you "can you tell yet?" Yet? YET??! Lol

You will have to let us know just as soon as you see the smallest hint of a colored feather! :D

OP
Kinny

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
Bahahaha, oh don't worry... I bug myself! Already my eyes are scouring his body looking for any signs of any colour, even though I know there won't be any for at least another 2 weeks lol. ;)

Of COURSE!!! :O How could I not!? I'll probably be bouncing up and down screeching "I SEE IT I SEE IT I SEE IT!!! I know something you don't know.. I KNOW SOMETHING YOU DON'T KNOW! I KNOW THE GENNNDEEERRR!!!" hehehe ;)

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
Color Watch, 2014, lol!

Pin

Sep 2, 2014
Wow it's so amazing to watch him grow like this! I've never watched a baby bird (particularly a parrot) grow up like this. ^_^ Not in this much detail anyway. It's generally like: egg, newly hatched, has fuzz, fledgling, fully grown bird. xD He's just growing so fast!! Can't wait to see those next pictures you mentioned you were gonna post! <3

OP
Kinny

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
3 weeks old today - weighing 191g :)

Got some Silicone tubing from the Vet today, almost a metre of it, and they didn't charge me..whoo!

IMG_3365.jpg

IMG_3366.jpg

EDIT: Sorry for the quick response, just a tad busy tonight but wanted to give you all an update. :)

Last edited:

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
3 weeks! Sweet!

Wow. I know I've mentioned it before, but the rate of growth in the first two or three months absolutely floors me! I remember when I was visiting Bixby, (before he was weaned) I always hated it when work prevented me from getting to the store for more than 2 days in a row. He grew so quickly that I would feel almost like I was visiting a different bird! Haha!

And no need to apologize. We'll just look forward to your next update!

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
There is a trick/tip that sometimes works sexing babies before the colored feathers come in. I am going to say this is a girl...if I am right I will tell you the trick.:D:p

OP
Kinny

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
Yep :D

Haha I know! Nyawww haha yeah it's a bit like that... ^^

:)

LABELL THAT'S JUST UNFAIR! D: You HAVE to tell me now!!! The pairs previous owner thinks it's a boy, apparently the males he's raised have all had a similar face/head shape... >.> Gosh darnit I hope he's right! lol

I have a question:

Now My husband, 3 kids and I will most likely be travelling to a City 7-8 hours drive from our City/Town at the end of November for a day maybe 2. That will make this little baby 15 weeks old (nearly 4 months old) so he will be weaned by then. Since there are no Avian Vets here but there is an extremely excellent one in that City we plan on driving to, I was thinking perhaps of taking the Eclectus with us and getting him Vet Checked by that excellent Avian Vet.

Now we have been able to do trips with all our other parrots, but have never done something like this with an Eclectus... Would it be too stressful for the bird? Any tips/advice you could give me to make it less stressful for the bird? Because I really don't like the thought of leaving him alone with only our Grandparents to feed him.. (I trust them but not enough to ensure his perfect health... I'm just a worry-wart about my hand-raised birdies!) I guess it doesn't help my worrying when every single time in my life when I've left and been away even just for a day, with trustworthy people caring for them, my birds have always died [chickens,ducks, parrots] so I'm worried that it might happen again. Consider it my phobia... o_o

Last edited:

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
This is a Solomon pair correct? By 4 months she should be close to weaned especially if she is a SHE, girls tend to get independent a little faster than the boys, in any case even if the baby isn't weaned by then it will probably only be on one comfort feeding. That is a long trip and each baby is different so I would plan a shorter trip first and see how she does.

Okay...if the picture you took is true color wise, girls tend to have a blacker down where boys down tends to be a lighter charcoal grey. It is easier of course to see this when you have one of each in the clutch but to me the down looks very dark.:)

OP
Kinny

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
Red Sided. Which are fairly similar colour-wise to the Solomon Island. Yes I've read/heard that females tend to wean faster than the 'Mummy's Boys'. ;) Ahh that's a good idea! So more like an hours trip, maybe 2?

It's close to true, a tiny weeny bit darker than normal light, (light in the photo is provided by an overhead dull light, not sunlight) but when you pick him up and look at all the down under his crop/belly it's a rather light grey.. Also noticed the base of his upper beak is getting lighter.. UGH i just want the colour to show already! lol

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
When I have had to travel and had birds that were un-weaned the one thing I always made sure to do is bring water in a container from home. I don't know about "down under" but water quality here can be significant. I liked knowing that I was using my filtered water that the baby was familiar with.

With that long of a trip I would also bring lots of foot toy type foods for the baby to eat and play with otherwise that will be a long boring ride. Also some foods with higher water content since the baby won't be able to drink water while in a moving car.

Most Reactions