Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
So here's a photo from yesterday morning:

0709141.jpg

And from this afternoon:

0809141.jpg

He's now on 4-5 hourly feeds through-out the day, consuming 12-14 grams of formula at each feed.
So he get's 4-5 feeds per day. Currently weighing between 133 and 135 grams before feeds.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Wow. He/she is growing right before our eyes! Hand rearing must be an amazing experience!

OP
Kinny

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
Indeed! It is :D most rewarding! I just fed him again and he now weighs 150g. So he's gained 10g each day. I tucked him under my chin and he fell asleep squeaking :p

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
:eek: Oh my gosh. How did I miss this???

You are doing a PHENOMENAL job with baby Ekki there! :D Hats off to you!

Pretty soon we should all know whether he's a 'he'. :32:

OP
Kinny

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
Hahahaha! It's alright Wendy, ;) you've seen it now :p

Awww thank you! But it's really not hard. All I'm doing at the moment is giving him his feeds every day and cuddles for 10-20 minutes after each feed... That's all O.O not sure how phenomenal that is? But thank you nonetheless! :D

Haha yes! Been trying to guess by the beak, but he's always changing so It's impossible!

Decided if it's a boy then we will send him up to my sister-in-law (in Queensland) somewhere around the end of Autumn next year.. No way do I want to risk him going from cool sea breezes to the hot tropics just at the start/during summer. But.. I wuffles him/her!

:eek: Oh my gosh. How did I miss this???

You are doing a PHENOMENAL job with baby Ekki there! :D Hats off to you!

Pretty soon we should all know whether he's a 'he'. :32:

OP
Kinny

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
Thanks Timothy. :) Though I did already know about the down and pinfeathers, I'm moreso curious about beak colourings. :p

OP
Kinny

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
Stephen, these are the photos you requested. :) The aviary is a bit dodgy looking at the moment, so when we build the extension I'll be adding more fun stuff - I can't wait!

Sen - means Beam or Fire - rather fitting eh? ;)

09-09-20141.jpg

Tai - means To Be Crowned - and since he has such a princely personality, why not? :)

09-09-20143.jpg

09-09-20146.jpg

09-09-20147.jpg

09-09-20145.jpg

Last edited:

Pin

Sep 2, 2014
Wow he/she's grown so much! :'D Is it just me or does he seem.. leaner? Maybe it's just because the color of his skin has changed some, or maybe because there's more feathers, but it looks to me like he's gaining more muscle now instead of fat. Does anyone else think so?

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
This thread is interesting to watch! Sen and Tai are beautiful parents :) What subspecies are they?

Wow, from morning to the next afternoon look how the down feathers have progressed! Amazing!

OP
Kinny

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
Thanks pin :D his skin has darkened and is thickening, he has more pinfeathers and down, he has more muscle from walking around, and more fat of course, plus his bones are growing too. :)

Awww thank you Julie! :D They are the Red-Sided species. I KNOW RIGHT!? And he has much more down 'exploding' all on his crop/chest/underside :) He looks one way when i feed him, i check on him 2 hours later and he's changed again! It truly is amazing! I keep getting bewildered at the incredibly fast growth rate. :D

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Thanks for those pics, Liana! As well as the meanings of their names. Fitting, indeed.

That's a rather large nesting box. Does the front panel slide out for access to the eggs? And how do you go about removing them?

Also, as a breeding pair, are Tai and Sen very friendly and accepting of human touch? Or are they more hands off?

OP
Kinny

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
Indeed Mikey! :)

No worries Stephen!
Yeah it's a decent size. But if she ever raises 2 til 5 weeks there has to be enough room for her and the growing chicks. And with all the shavings we usually have in there it stays warm so long as she isn't out for too long.

The top of the large part 'swivels/slides' sideways yes (theres a heavy pin in one corner to make sure Tai and Sen don't move it themselves). We try to temp Sen out with delicious food stuffs, but she knows amd is fiercly protective if you touch the box. So we have to use thick gloves or a slot of wood to gently keep her at the entrance portion of the box while we remove the chick/eggs.

Well Tai was originally handraised and hes fine with being touched and picked up. Even if he doesn't like it he WILL NOT bite, which is really handy when we have to pull out a bent or broken blood feather. And he absolutely loves it when we grab his beak with a thumb and index finger and gently shake from side to side whilst making 'chickool chickool chickool!' sounds. He will usually 'purr' and lick us :p If we ever lost Sen he would easily be a good pet/companion. Also loves chatting to us when we're outside, very friendly boy!

Sen however, she's usually fine, wary but relaxed. Its only if you actually touch her that he bites. But if shes below your shoulder level you can pick her up, touch her, whatever and she doesn't care. She's got the whole 'if I'm higher than you that makes ME the Boss!" attitude. ;)

OP
Kinny

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
Baby now officially weighs 159g before feeds. :) and consuming 17-19g of Formula each feed. He is still gaining 10g every day = the little fatty! :p Keeping his eyes open for longer periods too. ^^

OP
Kinny

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
HE'S BIGGER! I don't care how many parrots I've raised, the experience never gets old! It's a different bird every time so it's always amazing seeing them grow and change not just every day, but every few hours. :D

He's on just the wood shavings now. He did have a large portion of comfy soft facewashers/teatowel, but he keeps wandering off of them and sleeping on the shavings.. O.O ok then..lol. I'll take a photo or 2 later today when i next feed him.

Which reminds me, he's now eating 24g of formula each feed, but only 3 feeds a day now.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
The baby is growing so swiftly! Bring on those pics, Liana!

OP
Kinny

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
:D Going to upload photos shortly, just need to put the Nuttery NutNuts (kids) to bed. ^^ Got some cute snuggle shots!

OP
Kinny

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
Pics are here!

Weighs 170g now :)

10091.jpg

10093.jpg

Brooder + the Fatty!

10097.jpg

10099.jpg

And cuddles! - don't mind me with the weird look :smile004:

10095.jpg

10096.jpg

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
That is amazing. I have been looking at his close up, looking at his "feathers". How long before they begin to "fluff", break out of their casing? He looks so fragile, and delicate. How long does he snuggle with you?

Most Reactions