Baby sun conures!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I don’t know. I would probably give it lots of love and decide what to do if that time comes
A very difficult decision to have to make, I'm sure. I have been reading about this lethal mutation and it seems like the affected chicks weaken and die at less than a few months old. Just awful!

OP
S

Sybil

Oct 20, 2021
Parrots
Sun conure
A very difficult decision to have to make, I'm sure. I have been reading about this lethal mutation and it seems like the affected chicks weaken and die at less than a few months old. Just awful!
It is awful. I would feel really bad if I ended up with one. The poor babies.

OP
S

Sybil

Oct 20, 2021
Parrots
Sun conure
I have some videos of the babies on YouTube if you want to see them. I had them on my lap today and the parents were feeding them 😆

OP
S

Sybil

Oct 20, 2021
Parrots
Sun conure
The parents were also getting the wax off their pin feathers 😁

OP
S

Sybil

Oct 20, 2021
Parrots
Sun conure
I really want to know what the last baby will be. It still hasn’t gotten very many feathers 😅 I definitely think two of them are red factor and not bronze. I’m probably going to have to get my birds a new nest box. I didn’t realize I should have lined it with something besides shavings 🤦‍♀️ the bottom is all stained.
AB006139-6585-4AC3-93E1-6EE6B369EAF6.jpeg

OP
S

Sybil

Oct 20, 2021
Parrots
Sun conure
The last baby is getting its pin feathers and I can see that they are green so I don’t think it’s a bronze baby. The bronze babies look like they are red and blue and not green. I think it might be red factor too. I haven’t found any homes for them yet 🤦‍♀️

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
The last baby is getting its pin feathers and I can see that they are green so I don’t think it’s a bronze baby. The bronze babies look like they are red and blue and not green. I think it might be red factor too. I haven’t found any homes for them yet 🤦‍♀️
So, none of the babies are bronze?

OP
S

Sybil

Oct 20, 2021
Parrots
Sun conure
Here’s an updated photo of the babies.

Attachments

• C0843B20-3E95-4628-9CFB-DCA8161C4874.jpeg
    C0843B20-3E95-4628-9CFB-DCA8161C4874.jpeg
    310.7 KB · Views: 33
OP
S

Sybil

Oct 20, 2021
Parrots
Sun conure
I need a photographic visit with the babies! Please post a recent picture!
I’ll take pictures of them when I get home 😁 My most recent pictures are from June 6th 😅

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
View attachment 51537
They are a little wet from me wiping the formula off of them. They get so messy 😆
Awww! I LOVE baby birds and these three are just too cute!

I have to say that it's kinda sad when they grow up and aren't babies anymore. My husband helped me raise Rocky, and we now have new "terms of endearment" for each other- dont laugh (too hard) but we now call each other "Baby Bird"!

Raising a baby bird last winter brought out this "I love baby birds" feeling I think I'm stuck with. I don't want to raise any more birds so I must rely on the generosity of other PF members like you to share stories and pictures of their kids! Thanks!

OP
S

Sybil

Oct 20, 2021
Parrots
Sun conure
Awww! I LOVE baby birds and these three are just too cute!

I have to say that it's kinda sad when they grow up and aren't babies anymore. My husband helped me raise Rocky, and we now have new "terms of endearment" for each other- dont laugh (too hard) but we now call each other "Baby Bird"!

Raising a baby bird last winter brought out this "I love baby birds" feeling I think I'm stuck with. I don't want to raise any more birds so I must rely on the generosity of other PF members like you to share stories and pictures of their kids! Thanks!
I’ll be having more baby birds as long as my birds keep laying eggs 🥚 Baby birds are so cute and silly. These three are just so precious too.

OP
S

Sybil

Oct 20, 2021
Parrots
Sun conure
I wanna be a Godmother to ALL the babies!
Haha you definitely can be godmother 😁 I’m curious if the parents will lay eggs again since I took the babies out of the nest 🪹 I saw the two bigger babies eat the food I put out for them! I also have an Indian Ringneck pair but the won’t have babies for about two years. They are babies themselves 😆

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Haha you definitely can be godmother 😁 I’m curious if the parents will lay eggs again since I took the babies out of the nest 🪹 I saw the two bigger babies eat the food I put out for them! I also have an Indian Ringneck pair but the won’t have babies for about two years. They are babies themselves 😆
I heard that birds who lose their clutch or chicks try to replace them with another clutch. But I also hear that you should give the parents a nice long break, about six months, between clutches. The hen needs to replenish her calcium stores so her eggs are strong and she doesn't get egg bound. Plus raising chicks is a lot of work for them. I thought hand raising one budgie chick was a lot of work for me- I can't imagine how much work it would be for parent birds to raise a clutch of 3 to six demanding babies!
Do you live in the US?

Most Reactions

Latest posts