Baby sun conures!

OP
S

Sybil

Oct 20, 2021
Parrots
Sun conure
What is a bronze baby?
Itā€™s when you have red factor parents thereā€™s a chance that the baby is born bronze. Their coloring is different and they have a metabolism problem. They donā€™t live past weaning. I talked to someone before I bred mine and she said she doesnā€™t think Iā€™ll get bronze.

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Obsidian (M), Snowflake (F), Sunbeam (F), Emelia (F, English), Alinta (F, Bush), Mahlee (M, Bush), Moonstone (M)
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
Itā€™s when you have red factor parents thereā€™s a chance that the baby is born bronze. Their coloring is different and they have a metabolism problem. They donā€™t live past weaning. I talked to someone before I bred mine and she said she doesnā€™t think Iā€™ll get bronze.
Did they say why? I didn't know what a bronze was, but after I did I quick search I do not understand how someone can say they don't think you'll get one?

OP
S

Sybil

Oct 20, 2021
Parrots
Sun conure
Did they say why? I didn't know what a bronze was, but after I did I quick search I do not understand how someone can say they don't think you'll get one?
I think because mine parents arenā€™t super dark red. Iā€™m not really sure. So far the babies look like they will be ok.

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Obsidian (M), Snowflake (F), Sunbeam (F), Emelia (F, English), Alinta (F, Bush), Mahlee (M, Bush), Moonstone (M)
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
I think because mine parents arenā€™t super dark red. Iā€™m not really sure. So far the babies look like they will be ok.
I am thinking about it from a genetic point of view.
It seems there's a bit of debate about whether bronze is Double factor red or not, to me it seems like the most likely conclusion.
ā€ŠIf it is a double factor your pair ā€Šwill produce them. The chances will be exactly the same as producing a normal sun from your pair, 25%.
Now I don't know anything about conure genetics so that's going off my understanding of Budgie and chicken genetics, both of which can have "Semi lethal" genes like there is speculation that red factor in sun conures is.
I hope your babies continue to thrive for you! Sorry for going down a genetic rabbit hole on you, I have a tendancie to do that šŸ˜…

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
It seems there's a bit of debate about whether bronze is Double factor red or not, to me it seems like the most likely conclusion.
ā€ŠIf it is a double factor your pair ā€Šwill produce them. The chances will be exactly the same as producing a normal sun from your pair, 25%.
Now I don't know anything about conure genetics so that's going off my understanding of Budgie and chicken genetics, both of which can have "Semi lethal" genes like there is speculation that red factor in sun conures is.
I hope your babies continue to thrive for you! Sorry for going down a genetic rabbit hole on you, I have a tendancie to do that šŸ˜…
Wow! That would be such a sad thing if there was something like this wrong with those adorable babies.

OP
S

Sybil

Oct 20, 2021
Parrots
Sun conure
Itā€™s ok! Iā€™ll let you know what the babies look like in about a week. I think Iā€™ll know by then if I have a bronze or not.

OP
S

Sybil

Oct 20, 2021
Parrots
Sun conure
This is what the bronze babies look like. My friend got this one from a breeder and unfortunately it didnā€™t survive.
520B2093-54E3-42E9-A78E-5EBAD5A46CF2.jpeg
502B061B-0789-4FD8-B374-02F9D656FF44.jpeg

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
It would be very sad. I think mine will be ok. Iā€™ll keep posting updates.
From the few feathers they have they do look Ok. Comparing to the bronze photos you shared they seem to start out quite blue and go greener later on, I see green feathers on the two with the most feathers. Again I know seriously nothing about conure breeding but that's my observation!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Itā€™s so sad it didnā€™t survive! Itā€™s so sweet and adorable and it reminds me of a bird carved of rubies. Poor birdie :(
How do they die? Suddenly? Why would a breeder sell a baby bird that was doomed to die? Why do they call these babies bronze? Sorry so many questions but this is something I've never heard of.

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
OP
S

Sybil

Oct 20, 2021
Parrots
Sun conure
How do they die? Suddenly? Why would a breeder sell a baby bird that was doomed to die? Why do they call these babies bronze? Sorry so many questions but this is something I've never heard of.
She gave the bird to my friend. Iā€™m not sure why they are called bronze. They have a problem metabolizing their food.

OP
S

Sybil

Oct 20, 2021
Parrots
Sun conure
When will you know if you have a bronze baby? If you do, will all be bronze?
Iā€™ll know if itā€™s a bronze baby when the feathers come in some more. Probably in a week or two.

OP
S

Sybil

Oct 20, 2021
Parrots
Sun conure
What do you plan to do if you learn that you have one or more bronze babies? Have them euthanized?
I donā€™t know. I would probably give it lots of love and decide what to do if that time comes

Most Reactions