with new irn
he is 8 months when i buy him
now he is here since 2 month
but he still scare alot even when i come to the room where the cage is
he dont even scream or load
i dont hear his voice since 2 month now
maybe 2 - 3 time at morning

he eat good , drink water good

i set near him much time but he is so smart when he saw me move he start look at me thats good signale he is alive lol

he dont even move just set there in cage and look even when the room is empty what is going on here :/

Last edited by a moderator:

Puck

Mar 8, 2015
Maybe he's just not very vocal? Is that what you're asking in your post--whether he should be more vocal?

gracebowen

Jan 14, 2015
San Antonio
Parrots
Cora lovebird
Sky parakeet
Jado just be patient. Some birds take longer than others. I got a tame tiel 3 months ago. Sometimes he still wants nothing to do with me. My budgie is still scared too and I got him in early Feb.

OP
jado

jado

Feb 27, 2015
Parrots
Indian ringneck - Kiwi
hey , thanks , but is it normal that he is just eat drink and all day just stand there without 1 single move or voices ?

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
Patience is key, but do you leave his cage door open to see if he will come out? Have treat favorite if he comes out. I find that works for mine and helps in training. Their favorite is home made popcorn.

Puck

Mar 8, 2015
hey , thanks , but is it normal that he is just eat drink and all day just stand there without 1 single move or voices ?

All birds have their own personalities. He may still be adjusting to his new home, or he may just not be a hugely active bird. Also, he may move around when you are not there to see it (there's no way to watch him 24/7!). When he bonds to you more he might start flock calling when you leave the room, or he may not. Just give it a lot of time and patience. Nothing you've said makes me personally think he is sick or anything. Yes, if he'd been super playful and noisy and then suddenly went still and silent all the time, but since this has been the behavior he has exhibited all along I think he just needs more adjustment time. :)

Belcher

May 19, 2015
United States
hello guys
i am back
with new irn
he is 8 months when i buy him
now he is here since 2 month
but he still scare alot even when i come to the room where the cage is
he dont even scream or load
i dont hear his voice since 2 month now
maybe 2 - 3 time at morning

he eat good , drink water good

i set near him much time but he is so smart when he saw me move he start look at me thats good signale he is alive lol

he dont even move just set there in cage and look even when the room is empty wtf going on here :/

It is really cute but i could not get the point here of it's scaring? Why shall it scare a lot? I mean what could be the reason behind that?

OP
jado

jado

Feb 27, 2015
Parrots
Indian ringneck - Kiwi
yeah when i open the door and leave the room he go out and stand up the cage
when i am in same room he just still scared and aware of any single move from me
when i am sit there , his eyes on me all the time
i am try to let him on his own , i never try to catch him or so , just speak with him from far some time i talk to him when i am clean or change water food

but still very very very scare bird , that make me sad , he is the second bird with me with abut 3 months on my home and still scared the first one is gone scape from windows maybe u know :( and this second one he is here abut 2 month or more dont remember really

Cooki

Jan 17, 2015
Nottingham
Parrots
Albino Indian Ringneck Parakeet
I have the same problem with mine. Only difference is that mine is Wild when i bought him only a week ago, he just sits in the corner of the cage as far away from me as possible, if i go near the cage he gets scared. You just have to give them alot of time to adjust to you. Try to do things around Kiwi so it feels its missing out. But overall you just need to be patient and it will all work out.

OP
jado

jado

Feb 27, 2015
Parrots
Indian ringneck - Kiwi
3 + + more now i dont forget how much time kiwi in my home and still the king of scare bird dunno why , even so he get a good food and i am always around in same place

but he still a scary bird :/

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I'm wondering if Kiwi is a parent raised bird, or was handfed but had little handling and therefore is a bit wild now. Does he have toys to play with? Fill his cage with plenty of toys to occupy him and catch his interest. Also, is his cage too open from all sides? The cage should be against a wall, but if he still feels vulnerable, maybe covering another side with a towel or blanket will help him feel more secure.

Edit: I just saw your album. If that silver cage is his regular cage that you keep him in, it is MUCH too small. That would be a good travel or transport cage for him. Please see to getting Kiwi a much larger cage. At the bare minimum, twice that size. Larger than twice would be ideal if you can. Again, he needs toys. Things to do! I'd be unhappy in there too, wouldn't you?

Last edited:
OP
jado

jado

Feb 27, 2015
Parrots
Indian ringneck - Kiwi
toys like what ? and the cage is real big , also i open his cage every day and he go out and just stand there without any move or sound or anything just stand always i try talk with him and also always try to be close near him but he feel sooooooo scare
now i remember i buy him in 12/2/2015 now we are 18/6 4 months and he still like he is very wild very quit very silance :/

itchyfeet

Nov 1, 2014
Middle Earth
Parrots
Ethyl the cockatiel, Henry & Clarke the IRN's, and Skittles the lovebird (my daughters)
My IRN loves milk bottle tops. Will he take a nut from your hand? If I put wee pieces of nut into a bottle top, he'll go and eat them. Then I can use one top on another to create a wee container for foraging.

Most Reactions