Mar 25, 2017
GTA, ON
Parrots
Tango (Quaker)
Cujo & Zazz (GCCs)
Flex & Julia (Cockatiels)
Gaza & Gina (GCCs) and a few others ;-)
Hi,

Just want to know if it means anything on which leg the bird has a band??? Some have it on the right leg and some on the left... Is there a significance of that???

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
It may have some significance to the breeder but I doubt it. My bands go on the right leg just became I had to pick land and I picked right, no deeper meaning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M

monisaab

Mar 25, 2017
GTA, ON
Parrots
Tango (Quaker)
Cujo & Zazz (GCCs)
I was reading at a couple of websites that band on the right leg means male and left leg means female... that is why I asked...

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Some could use it like that. However, as a breeder myself I can tell you that 100% of MY records on babies are sorted by band number. If I have 4 blue babies in a nest the only way to tell them apart is by band number. So I band them very early, a few days after eyes open. I don't DNA sex them for WEEKS after that, and in most cases bands need to go on long before color is clear anyway so even in sexually dimorphic species bands would need to go on long before sex could be determined. Unless the breeder is doing eggshell sexing (and never has babies hatching the same day in the same nest) then closed banding couldn't work like this.

It COULD be done with open bands, but I'm categorically OPPOSED to the use of open bands unless absolutely necessary to avoid abandonment of a pet. They are far too risky. Also, if this method is used it will still vary between breeders and breeders' societies so there is still very little for a pet owner to go by.

Though I think we all wish band codes were more uniform. That's why I put as much info as possible on my bands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flow

Jun 15, 2017
QLD Australia
Parrots
Budgies, cockatiels and Indian ringnecks, scaly breasted lorikeet, rainbow lorikeet
It's breeders choice really since as SilverSage said we usually band before gender is known. I chose the right leg because it felt right and a fellow breeder chose the left because that felt right for him (I'm a rightly and he's a lefty so not sure if that had anything to do with it).

OutlawedSpirit

Apr 12, 2016
Northern Illinois, USA
Parrots
Bo - DYH ~ Gus - CAG ~ Twitch - Linnie ~ Apple - Pineapple GCC ~ Goliath - Quaker ~ Squish - Peach face Lovebird
As a breeder, I typically band the left leg. I only do it that way because when I was taught how to band, the person who showed me bands the left leg so that is how I learned. Now it's how I'm most comfortable doing it. No other reason

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
M

monisaab

Mar 25, 2017
GTA, ON
Parrots
Tango (Quaker)
Cujo & Zazz (GCCs)
Thanks guys/gals for the expert advice...

Most Reactions

Latest posts