Bands

QuakerParrot

Aug 12, 2012
My Quaker parrot had recently fracture his foot and i took him to the vet and they put a bandage on his foot.He is healing and the vet took his band off so i ask them if i can get the band back and they said they might of thrown the band out.i wanted to know if you can order a band with their band # or can i get a new band with a different # or something.

friedsoup

May 5, 2012
North Carolina
Parrots
Senegal Male Bogart
Even better have your bird Micro chipped it is sub-dermal and the chip has a number that will be kept on a national data base that any vet or rescue can access and all your information is available to anyone( with the wand) who finds your bird can contact you that your bird is found and your vet can even put any medical information that might be needed. None of those things can be done with a leg band

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Quakers should be big enough to micro-chip , You really should have kept the old one, but it is what it is.The only band you could put on your, now adult,bird is a "open" band that has a joint in it., It's not a closed ring band that can only be placed at less than 10-12 days on age. This is really not a safe thing to do, the open bands can get caught up on toys,cage ,etc. I;d look to micro-chipping.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
That's the risk of micro-chipping, you need a GOOD Avian Vet. The bird will have to be sedated , anesthetized which is a risk. Ask your AV about the risk.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Your vet records become very important now. I 'd get a copy him cutting off the band and him being your pet at the time.

friedsoup

May 5, 2012
North Carolina
Parrots
Senegal Male Bogart
They didn't anestize (sp) my bird just gave the chip as an injection around the chest area he never even flinched or bothered the spot after

azdesertrhino

Oct 29, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
Interesting thought popped in to my mind reading this thread.

MAC never had a band. We purchased him through a local "exotic" pet store that has been around for many years.

Is this a situation I need to look in to further or ???

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread!

Most Reactions

Latest posts