Barfing in the AM?

BirdyMomma

Aug 4, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Parrots
Lilac Crowned Amazon (Bacci- Forever on my shoulder, forever in my heart.)
Yellow Collared Macaw (Loki the Monkey Bird)
Military Macaw (Wingnut)
Citron Crested Cockatoo
(Knuckles)
Hello All.
I'm having a little problem with our 5month old Military Macaw Wingnut. Every morning now, for the past three days, he barfs a little bit, and I'm not sure why. His appetite is fine, and he is showing no other odd behaviors/symptoms.
Here is a list of things I am considering, perhaps someone with more experience can tell me if any of these items could be contributing.

-He gets VERY excited to see me in the morning.
-He still gets formula twice a day. We also give him fresh fruits, veggies and other foods. Is he perhaps rejecting formula? He barfs before I give him morning formula, and it looks like maybe he had last nights formula stored up.
-I'm feeding him too late at night.

Any input or advice will be greatly appreciated, as I want to do the best for my babies.
Thanks.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Is it formula from the previous night that's coming up? If so, then his crop isn't emptying fully. How much does he take at each feeding?

Perhaps try only giving him one feeding a day.

Yes, excitement "can" cause this. I'd cut down one feeding and then monitor his weight. If he continues to throw up, I'd have him checked out by the Avian vet, to rule out there is anything going on more seriously.

OP
BirdyMomma

BirdyMomma

Aug 4, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Parrots
Military Macaw (Wingnut)
Citron Crested Cockatoo
(Knuckles)
Thank You Wendy!
I will try that. I have been giving him smaller portions, but I will cut out the PM feeding!
Also, could you please clarify something for me? Should I be trying to get him completely off the formula now, or is it too soon?

Our YCM Loki is perhaps a month older than Wingnut, and she eats EVERYTHING. She definitely eats enough fruit, veg. and pellets to get NO formula, but she gets some of that too when we feed Wingnut. Should I refuse it to her?

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
No, there is no need to rush the weaning. :) See how Wingnut does on one feeding per day. He will get the hang of things, no doubt in my mind.

And there's nothing wrong with having Loki have a taste of the formula either. They are both still what I consider "babies". I tell you, if I'd let her, my nearly 15 year old Yellow Nape Zon would eat formula. :54:

Just keep an eye out for his weight. It will be perfectly normal if he loses a few grams, they mostly all due during weaning.

OP
BirdyMomma

BirdyMomma

Aug 4, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Parrots
Military Macaw (Wingnut)
Citron Crested Cockatoo
(Knuckles)
Thank You so much!!!

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
sounds to me that he is regurgitating for you.....awwwww he really digs you.

Most Reactions