Bathing a parrot that cannot be taken out of its cage

HusseinBerjaoui

May 21, 2013
Lebanon
Parrots
Mango - Poicephalus Jardine
Like how should I give it a shower? Any help? It's his fourth day with me and I have no idea how to give him a shower, please give me instructions

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Some birds like being misted with a spraying water bottle, lukewarm water is probably best to start with. Even just spraying the cage bars is good enough as many birds will rub up against the bars to get to the water.

Not all birds are fond of spraying though, so if you've only had him four days, I'd suggest waiting until you build a bit of a bond with him. Do not FORCE him to shower, you'll cause so many problems if you try spraying him down whilst he hates it.

Work on getting him to come to you and things, maybe birds will bathe in a sink or dish if given a chance to. So work on getting him out and with you and see if he takes to that first.

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
If you do mist, use a very fine mist, not a squirt. If his water-bowl is big enough he might take a bath in it. Just make sure the water is always very clean. :)

OP
HusseinBerjaoui

HusseinBerjaoui

May 21, 2013
Lebanon
Parrots
I will try mist, but nothing happens if water entered his eyes right?

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
If the mist is fine enough he'll most likely close his eyes if drops go near...or better yet avoid his head altogether.....he can easily dunk his head in his water bowl anytime. If he freaks out over the misting, stop immediately so he doesn't get turned-off to bathing..good luck.

OP
HusseinBerjaoui

HusseinBerjaoui

May 21, 2013
Lebanon
Parrots
Thank you I just gave him a bath though mist but he acted as if nothing was happening, usual tweeting and jumping. Does jumping means happiness? I'm starting to feel it's a way to express fear :/

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
Hussein,
If he wasn't running away from the mist, like to the corner of the cage, then he may be one of the many birds that like being misted or bathing. Some birds get so happy when they can shower or take a bath in a bowl.

Did you try to put in a heavy bath bowl, like a crock? He may want to bath himself.

OP
HusseinBerjaoui

HusseinBerjaoui

May 21, 2013
Lebanon
Parrots
I really can't do that. It will eventually bite me and panic if I put my hand in. There is so much stuff I wanna do but he wouldn't let me, especially petting him. When I try to stroke his head through the metallic bar he tries to bite me. I will need time before introducing a bucket .. but thank you all !

cdnbirdlover

Aug 24, 2012
Canada
Parrots
Peach faced lovebird Basil
What kind of bird do you have? My Basil (lovebird) is a fickle bather. I sprayed him with a (clean) plant mister when I first got him. Now that he can come out, I let him bathe in the kitchen sink with the faucet dribbling or in the bath in his cage. But he doesn't think he needs a bath very often, even when given many opportunities. Spraying through the top bars rather than straight at the bird is more like rain and may be preferable to your bird.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Please do tell us what type of bird you have. When a bird is nervous you can tell cause they do more then jumping around, heavy breathimg, panting, screeching, etc.

OP
HusseinBerjaoui

HusseinBerjaoui

May 21, 2013
Lebanon
Parrots
I have a Jardine (Poicephalus) and I'm still wondering how his reacts didn't change, so jumping probably meant fear while I thought it was happiness

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
If he's not dirty by looking at him, maybe just provide his water in a large dish higher in the cage so he feels more secure and he doesn't poop in it. Really it's only been a few days, I would focus more on sitting calmly near him, talking very softly, no loud noises. Give him time, he'll calm down. Hang out in the room with him and just let him observe you. Keep the cage in one spot, it's best not to move it around. He will settle and relax. Baths right now aren't really an issue, just relax :) you'll do fine, it just happens on HIS time.

Last edited:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
I have a Jardine (Poicephalus) and I'm still wondering how his reacts didn't change, so jumping probably meant fear while I thought it was happiness

No! They will jump when they're happy too!!! Jardine will hop around when they're excited. I've seen them every so often but don't have a whole lot of experiences with them. Bathing is a daily thing if you want to do it daily. You don't have to wait until they're dirty to do it. Just do the misting on a daily basis as he will get used to the idea and learn to like it. I have quite a few that learn to love it over time. I only have one that hates it, my Black Lory hates it....lol....

OP
HusseinBerjaoui

HusseinBerjaoui

May 21, 2013
Lebanon
Parrots
He tried to bit my hand through the cage bars after his second bathing, weird. I don't have a really big cage at the moment, I can't put inside the water recipient through the cage door because it's small, and the other way is removing the cage upper ceiling but I'm afraid it will make him escape and starts biting

lotosha

Jun 29, 2012
Parrots
A pair of cockatiels
And pair of African Greys
I saw that my female cocatiel uses her water dish as her bathroom. So maybe just see if his water dish could be suitable for him to take his baths.

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
You know, if he bites you, you won't die. Everyone who's ever had a parrot has been bit. Don't let the fear of being bit keep you interacting and taming him. Perhaps watch some taming videos on YouTube and read up on it so you can move past this stage and move forward. Good luck! :)

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
He tried to bit my hand through the cage bars after his second bathing, weird. I don't have a really big cage at the moment, I can't put inside the water recipient through the cage door because it's small, and the other way is removing the cage upper ceiling but I'm afraid it will make him escape and starts biting

If you have it on mist setting it will get to him just fine! No need to open the cage!

Most Reactions