Bathing too soon

Operaman20

Dec 23, 2016
Help!!! I think I gave my dear coco a bath too soon.
Coco is my sun conure. He's only about 10 weeks old, but he was starting to smell and he hasn't ever taken a bath.
I decided to take a shower, but coco looked like he wanted to come with me so I brought him along and sat him by the shower while I got started. He started to jump up like he wanted to get in with me so I (probably mistakenly) brought him into the shower with me. I didn't let him get wet, but he seemed calm so slowly I started to let a few drops hit him at a time, then a little more, etc. he didn't seem to mind (though he was strangely still) while I bathed him. It wasn't till afterward when he was dried off and in the cage that he started to behave like he was scared of me (backing away from my finger). I hope I haven't scared him for life from showering. Please help. How can undo this damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
It was his first shower, it likely did scare him a little, nothing abnormal. Just continue slowly introducing him to water. The water pressure might of been a little much too, don't know your shower but if it has a relatively high pressure maybe find a way to give him a more gentle shower. For now though make him feel comfortable and safe I guess is all you can do. Play with him and offer him treats, do things he likes.

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
I wouldn't worry too much. Proceed as normal, he got more than he bargained for is all. All birds need a shower regularly. Just make sure he is in a place free from drafts. Some blow dry their birds but I don't, I make sure the room is warm and dry. It's natural for them to dry without the aid of a blow dryer. Some blow dryers have emissions that are dangerous to birds.

If you want to try something different, buy a misting bottle and mist him gently til he's good and wet.

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Relax. Even baby birds get wet in the wild. Its not like the parents spread their wings over the babies until they are ready ( thats a Disney movie!). Every parrot takes their bathing differently in the wild, incuding rolling around on wet leaves. Different ways include: sinks, shallow bowls, woks, misting spray bottles, showers, and some take dust baths ( patagonian conures). Most love taking baths once the prefered method is figured out, some merely tolerate baths. Salty, who is from a marginally dry part of South America, is not a fan, and after a year and a half accepts baths from a spray mister. Try different ways. Salty likes to be lightly towel dried off, just patting him with his towel. Never rub to dry off a bird, it messes up the feathers. Like Leak says, some like to be blow dried - but carefully dont let him get too hot, and make sure the blow drier does not emit toxic fumes. Dont put your parrot in the clothes dryer.

Bobioden

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
Parrots
Maxx & Emma -Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conures (Male & Female)
My 2 Green Cheeks love to jump in the water bowl and take a bath. I am amazed at how often they do it. They only do it after the water is changed, so nice clean cold water cold.

JBassset

Oct 18, 2016
Boise
Parrots
3 year old GC Conure
13 year old B&G Macaw
Dont put your parrot in the clothes dryer.

You say that but Stephen regularly climbs into either the washer or the dryer when I'm loading them. I have to double check before I start either one that I know where he is.

He LOVES warm clothes fresh from the dryer. Just gotta make sure he's "gone" recently. Or else you get to rewash some of them.

Shoegoo

Nov 3, 2014
My GCC likes to bath in his drinking water. He use to take a bath in his bird bath. But its been like that since the cage change.

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
It will be ok, don't worry too much about it, i highly doubt you did any damage at all! He's just a bit shocked by his first bath, "firsts" will do this-first bath, first nail clipping, first wing clipping, first vet visit, etc. It's completely normal for him to be a bit freaked out. It doesn't even mean that he didn't enjoy the bath, it was just a new thing.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Latest posts