what does the head bobbing thing mean?

GetDownPip

Jan 11, 2017
I'm not all that concerned, just very curious. When my GCC deeply interacts with his #1 person (my 6yo daughter), he does this head bobbing thing. (We say he laughing hysterically.) He usually does it when she knocks on whatever he is standing on. He doesn't do it much with anyone else. He seems to be very comfortable and happy when he is doing it. Does it just mean he is excited to be interacting with her?? We just think it is cute and it makes us laugh. But what does it actually mean??

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
The head bob is generally a social or welcoming gesture. It may signify much more when combined with other behaviors. Come over, hold me, feed me!

I am not well acquainted with Conures, so others may give more specific analysis!

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
On Planet Patagonia, head-bobbing is a good thing. A happy thing. As Scott said, the specifics can vary. I would LOVE to see your little girl enjoying her buddy...

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Skittles will rapidly bob his head up and down when he sees something he wants. For example, if I am eating something and he wants some- he does his rapid head bob. He'll add kissy noises and if he REALLY wants something he'll hop up and down.

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
My Molly does it when I'm spending one on one time with her close to bedtime. I will give her neck scratches and she will bob her head but ONLY like from 7pm to 8pm...She goes to bed at 8pm. I have wondered often about that. I knew it was likely good but like...Why that time? Is she just excited? She is famous for her 8pm freak-outs that mean "put me to bed right nowwwwwww!". Even then she seems super excited to be going to bed which is also weird to me. Oh conures...How your behavior eludes me....

jagrooten5

Sep 7, 2016
Mine are always doing that! And Leo my green cheek throws his head back as if he is outraged. If I copy him he will continue to do it as long as I do 😂

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Shoegoo

Nov 3, 2014
Sometimes observe my GCC bobbing while eating. In this case perhaps it is used as an aid for helping food progress down the crop?

PickleMeDickles

May 17, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
SassyByrd (DYH Amazon) JoJo (GCC) Betty (GCC) DEARLY LOVED fids lost to “Teflon Disaster� 12/17 RIP Pickles (GC),RIP Winston (Sun), RIP Lady PLEASE TAKE 5 MINUTES &TOSS OUT ALL YOUR TEFLON NOW!
I have one very "bobbie" bird, my GCC. She will do a slow bob if she wants something. If you have a toothpick or something in your mouth she can steal she does a super fast celebration bob. She also does a posturing bob that can either mean love me or get away from me, depending on the look in her eye.

Most Reactions