Beak Bubble???

tlfisher

Apr 28, 2013
Iowa
Parrots
Cockatiel (daughter's bird)
Rare Parakeet(daughter's bird)

I just stumbled on this product. I guess it is like a muzzle for a dog. I cannot imagine trying to put it on or take it off a bird. Has anyone seen or used this item?

Thanks,
Tracey

Last edited by a moderator:

MacawGuy

Jun 12, 2012
Indiana
Parrots
B&G Macaw
I would never used that. Looks scary lol. Looks like something off Hannibal. Never seen this before.

OP
tlfisher

tlfisher

Apr 28, 2013
Iowa
Parrots
I agree it looks scarey! I would be scared to put it on the bird and the bird get angry or scared. It might stop a bite while its on the bird but putting it on the bird will probably get you a bit.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I could never imagine putting that on one of my birds:(
Does look like Silence of the Lambs was an inspiration for this.

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Honestly I would rather towel a bird to do necessary trims than attempt to stick that thing on them! [emoji33][emoji33][emoji33][emoji33] I couldn't imagine the fright and stress it would cause once it's stuck on their head...or even trying to get it on in the first place! Yeah right!!!

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
I feel like this is the 100% guaranteed way to create trust issues with you and your fid.
not to mention, how many toys/household things will they fear because it resembles the bubble? No more atom perches.
This bottles my mind.
"Hey! Have a bird that is difficult to groom? Does he hold grudges against the vet who does it? Well now he can hold it against YOU! With the Beak Bubble your fid can watch helplessly while you groom him with tools that would normally cause a bite (a fear response!) your bird may never want to be handled by you again but at least you can manage those wings and nails!"

Okay, sarcastic rant over. Besides, how much you want to bet that thing wouldn't hold up for a minute of a Mac or 'too got hold of it ?

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
OMG no kidding, sterling- a plastic ball on a Mac or 'too would not survive very long....not to mention the injuries (bird AND human) that would ensue from putting in on/off

Why not spend the time to train your bird to make grooming easy and without stress?? This thing is a baaaaaaad idea!!

OP
tlfisher

tlfisher

Apr 28, 2013
Iowa
Parrots
My thoughts exactly. I just can't imagine the person that would develop such thing. I think it only could be good for would be to fill it full of fruits and vegetables for a foraging toy. I feel sorry for the birds in the pictures! It looks torturous! It would ruin trust for certain.

Is there a way to keep birds safe from fools that would try to use it?

Last edited:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I've seen it before but I've never seen anyone use it, for that I'm thankful for.

Saying that, I have seen a clear plastic cup placed on a cockatoo's head so that the cockatoo would not bite the person doing a routine exam or otherwise on the cockatoo. Mind you, this was a 40+ year old cockatoo that was taught to take vaccines into the breast force-free. This 'too would sit on his perch while someone could go up to him, reward him, stick a needle into him while continuing to be rewarded, plunge the syringe and then be able to remove it.... without having to physically touch the 'too, let alone restrain him.

The plastic cup was an added "safety" measure, not that the 'too was likely to bite anyone anyway! When he saw the cup he "assumed the position" for the cup to be placed on his head and would lick away at the cup, completely ignoring the needle and syringe! Once the procedure was over with, the cup was removed. He generally enjoys having the cup placed on his head, so he doesn't view it as a negative experience!

GW.Joe

Nov 26, 2013
Southeastern PA (15 miles west of Philly in a smal
Parrots
HI Fellow Parrot Lovers! Baby Green Wing Macaw, Loving Departed Yellow-naped Amazon "Poe"
Completely and utterly ridiculous.... just imagine the bird freaking out hurting his neck OR falling and breaking his neck with stupid thing on your bird

I did some searches, his website hasn't been updated since 2006, LOTS of people are freaking out on other forums about wanting to "put the ball on his head", "strangle him", "call him and give him a piece of their mind" ETC LOL

His brilliant text:
"I also designed the Beak Bubble for "inexperienced and new" Bird Lovers, Vets, Bird Groomers, Bird Behaviorists <- MY FAV, etc., so they can Tame and Handle their birds, so they could trim the bird's Wings, Toenails, or give them their Checkups, Medical Emergencies, X-Ray and much more"

Caveat emptor ?

The first thing my kids said was "but dad I wanna see a video of HOW you get it on the bird"

Joe's Typical call to customer service:
"Hello this is Beak Bubble how can I help you?"....."umm its NO PROBLEM, You just train the bird to trust you BEFORE you put the Beak Bubble on"

The BIRDS are looking at us and just shaking their heads "DUMB HUMANS"

VIDEO
(jump ahead to 3 mins) https://news.yahoo.com/blogs/the-si...ks-head-wire-cage-quit-smoking-181317271.html

gw-joe-albums-assorted-pictures-used-posts-picture12243-human-ball.jpg

Last edited:

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
It looks like it came from the movie Spaceballs, lol. I would never use it.

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
Seems like a poor invention by someone who doesn't understand birds, in my honest opinion. If ANY bird was fine with that being placed on their head, then they've obviously been hand trained to the extreme, and - chances are - that they can already manage nail trimming with little to no struggle.

Dog muzzles are one thing... beak bubbles? That's just a whole new world of silly. :eek:

Most Reactions